Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Flange Dealer
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have I missed something? I have a leak out of the plate on the end of the pump. Tried swapping pumps , tried fitting an O ring (Bye bye oil pressure) , tried holymer even resorted to buying a brand new pump , same thing . Even on a different engine.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,124 Posts
Sorry, do you mean the new pump still leaked on your old engine or both the old AND new pumps leaked on a different engine ? Has the engine been rebuilt or an old runner ? Where exactly is the leak or do you just have a puddle of oil appearing ?

·
Flange Dealer
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
New pump , old pumps , old engine & rebuilt engine ! Oil is seeping out around the triangular(ish) plate that the pump gears run against , the one bolted to the opposite end to the engine block.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hmmm weird that I know it sounds obvious, but its not leaking from the oil pressure sender and dripping/squirting onto the end of the pump which makes it look like thats where your leak is? or from the filter seal?

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,124 Posts
I had a few ideas stored up until you answered Paul ...absolutely no idea why now :tdown: There is a blow off valve in the pump itself so even if blocked elsewhere it shouldn't leak as the excess pressure will vent .

Is there any common component / denominator in all the combinations of old/new pump /engine ?

·
Flange Dealer
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
only me :D

·
Flange Dealer
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
& the dizzy , come to think of it.

·
Registered
437 Posts
does the cover plate come as part of the pump or using the old one ? been a long time and cant picture it

·
Flange Dealer
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It came with it , otherwise the gears would drop out.

·
Registered
61 Posts
ok been here a few times with x flow oil pumps. take the plate off and place on a fine bit of wet n dry paper on a flat surface and try to flat it out.

these pumps are know for this problem good luck

·
Flange Dealer
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good idea , just cos it's new doesn't mean it's any good. I'll give that a go at the weekend.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts