Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last weekend I replaced both half shaft seals in my 105e rear axle because the nearside one was leaking and thought that would be it. Went back to the garage last night to find a nice little pool of oil seeping out between the backplate and drum again - DOH :mad:
Any ideas on how to cure this permanently

·
Registered
725 Posts
As above & did you clean the surface in the axle case end that the bearing seal sits on & fit the bearing the right way round ?? also the ford ones are getting thin on the ground & some motor factors sell you the vauxhall ones with the O ring seal which dont seal well in a ford axle ! hope this helps

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just checked the breather and it was stuck shut because of the fresh paint, so that could have possibly been the problem after all. I also checked that the seal was inserted correct way round and it was fine, so I'm hopeful that it will be just the breather as suggested.

·
Registered
54 Posts
hi mate, did you take the axle of the car when you were paintin it and tilt it at an acute angle. i ask this as i did this with mine in the past and it looked like the seal was leakin but it wasn't , it was just at that angle the seals aint meant to be that oil tite. just an idea, what does anyone else think about this

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,056 Posts
I don't really understand whats happening ( nothing new there then ) As it's a long time since I played with an Anglia axle aren't the halfshaft seals on an Anglia like the rest of the Ford range and internally sealed ? The rest of the seal is completed when you tighten the 4 bolts through the brake backplate pulling the bearing face tight against the inner return in the axle case .

The only time I have seen seals ( as such) in a 4 pot Ford axle was on a Mk 1 Cortina case amd speaking to guys that have played with them regularl they said they had only seen additional seals once or twice.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Kev, I found this 105e technical article you posted when I first found the seal was leaking. The seal in the illustration is what I replaced and drifted it in with an old large size socket. I never disturbed the bearings, so it was just a case of reasembly, although whilst derusting and painting it I did have it stood on that drum end for accessibility but assumed the seal would have been effective enough to stop any leakage. Also since reasembly, I haven't run the car (still needing a prop shaft doesn't help), so I'm perplexed as to why it is losing oil.
Hmm, perhaps its the rubber in the new old stock seal suffering from shrinkage.:shake:

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,056 Posts
A friend of mine runs a bearing / oil seal distribution place . It has to be kept at a specifc temperature constantly and every few years ( I think it's 3 ) they have to skip all unsold rubber based stock so old NOS rubbers could create an issue.

However you haven't run the axle and I didn't think the shafts tubes filled up that much when stationary ? Might be worth pulling that side off again and cleaning any residual oil ( from when on its end ) plus have a look to check the shaft is actually pushing against the inner section of the seal when refitting ?

The weight of the oil may have pushed the seal lip back ?

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good idea, I'll try and get up to the garage tomorrow evening and give it a good seeing to.;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts