Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Administrator
14,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my daughter wants to learn to play (she is 8 )
any tips who to go for lessons in the braintree area
would it be easier for me to learn with her also
any tips would be great
thanks

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
when my daughter wanted to learn i got some 3 cord books from the shop and got her starting with them also got her a chord made easy book so before she started lessons she already knew a few cords and could play a few songs sort off lol, which made it easier for her, plus it will give you a insight into whether she's going to keep it up or not, so you don't waste money in the beginning as lessons are not cheap. i still got a half size guitar here if you need one cheap only in bexleyheath i will even tune it.

·
Administrator
14,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the advice
Russ on here gave her a poster with all the chords on it for her to practice from
she has a 1/2 size electric guitar
thanks

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
no worries hope she does well you know your dedicated when blood comes out your finger tips lol.

·
Registered
74 Posts
There quite a few teachers that cover your area, some will even come to your house to do the lessons, it's a lot more productive to get lessons and she'd advance a lot quicker, but it all boils down to weather she want to be taught or not, and if you can find a teacher that she can get along with.

·
Administrator
14,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i think if we do the lesson route ill try to learn with her,this was not going to be the plan but we went to see a good friend this morning and his good lady suggested it

mmmm must thank her

·
Administrator
14,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
your not funny mate

it appears i have to now thanks to your good lady

(kinda looking forward to it but don't tell anyone ):tup:

·
Registered
43 Posts
hi,i brought a acoustic guitar to learn with as its easer to just pickup for 5 mins instead of getting the electric out and setting it up, it's working for me ! and easer then you pick up the electric to play after !

paul

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Learning the guitar is HARD, the thing I found that makes people give up quick is if they are using cheap equipment. I had the most horrible finger destroying 99 quid leccy guitar and amp, Jimmy Page would have sounded rubbish on this thing, the action was about 1/2" high. I'm amazed I persevered with it. But I didn't have a good guitar to relate so i thought I was doing everything wrong.
A good quality guitar is soooo much easier to play, best to buy something good second hand and have it serviced to make sure the action is playable, if she gives up then you can always sell it and get your money back.
Buy her a piece of crap and I can guarantee she'll never play the guitar, most girls don't have the patience that guys do so make it easy for her.

I got there in the end!

·
Registered
496 Posts
I can thoroughly recommend Rocksmith on the Playstation 3, excellent game that teaches you to play with either an electric or bass guitar. Having never picked up a guitar in my life it teaches you how to tune your guitar and after 4 hours playing time I could play The Rolling get Stones - Can't get no satisfaction. It's surprisingly very good.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Stude Star is spot on.
Pay as much as you can for the guitar and if you can get one that has the strings closer to the frets on the neck it is easier to press on the strings to obtain the note.
The hardest part learning is pressing the strings for the chord shape to make the good sound instead of that awful clunk sound.
I think the most important part of a guitar is the neck.
You can easily do finger tapping on a good necked guitar.

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
Been learning guitar for the last 2 1/2 years with my daughter, have a look to see if your local council run any guitar courses, if they are like ours they are very good value. As already said get a decent instrument to start with, if you learn on an acoustic it makes your fingers stronger and makes playing electric very seam very light to fret by comparison. The 3 secrets to learning are :- 1/ practice, 2/ practice, 3/ practice. 2 1/2 years down the line I'm still shit, but not as shit as I was.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Very good comments guys,

I had a guitar teacher at 10, it bored me so I gave up. I then picked it up of my own and started messing around. Bert Weedon's Play in a Day is total crap.
I got to a point where I didn't understand the difference between a G Chord, G scale or G note, why were they all called G!.... I then went to a guitar teacher who was amazing and 6 months later I was doing pretty well. The teacher made all the difference (even if he kept trying to get me to play jazz)

I practiced for at least an hour a day, sometimes up to 3 hours for approx 4 years 'til I was good enough

·
Administrator
14,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
i do hear what you guys are saying

so what makes a good guitar different from a cheap one

can you guys give me some examples of what i should buy
thanks

my issue is that if we don't get on with this then i have spent a lot of money that i won't get back

i would be happy to spend more as we both progress but this could all come to a end in 3 months

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
It's a little tough with the smaller guitars as they are aimed at kids hence they are cheap.

You need to take a guitarist with you, go to some guitar shops and see what the seller says and what the guitarist says.

A guitar is made of wood, wood gets more expensive the better it is, better guitars use better wood which doesn't twist like cheap wood, most cheap guitars have twisted necks and a lack of adjustment to get the neck straight to bring the action down to where someone can comfortably play it.
The difference is night and day, hence buy second hand, the wood has had time to move about and settle, new guitars are more unpredictable, they can start out nice then turn shit.
A wooden door is a good example, buy a cheap door from wickes and it'll be all over the place, contracting and expanding with humidity and coming apart at the seams

There is a lot of tension on the neck once all six strings are tuned.

Cheap guitars are basically pointless.

·
Administrator
14,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
my daughter has 1/2 size but i assume ill need a full size one

ok i understand about wood but this still won't tell me what makes are better than buying a cheap new one

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
There's only generalisations as to what is good or not, a Gibson or Fender will generally be good where as an Argos guitar will be generally pants. But being made of wood EVERY guitar is different. I had a Gibson Les Paul that wasn't very good and I now have a jap SG/LES Paul copy YAMAHA SG2000S which blows it away.

For example, this will be utter crap
Falcon 3/4 Natural Classical Guitar

Whereas this will probably be ok
Fender Sonoran 3/4 Mini Acoustic Guitar with bag | Andertons

This should be very good -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Martin-LX...l-/400706417532?pt=Guitar&hash=item5d4bf6b37c
A 3/4 size would work quite well, ring a few guitar shops or look on Ebay for a nice 3/4 size?

·
Administrator
14,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
we are not looking for acoustic tho
sorry and its a full size 1 ill need as my daughter has had 1 brought for her as a gift even tho ill prob have to upgrade it

1 - 20 of 43 Posts