Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,173 Posts

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
i think i may have to go to a shop as i really can't afford to spend to much on something that may sit in the corner after a month or 2
so yes it will prob have to be a cheapy for now
Yamaha Electric Guitar | eBay

something like this ?
Yeah, take it to a guitar shop and get them to service it, put new strings on (light strings, 9's on something) and adjust the action and intonation (keeps it in tune), see it as an annual MOT for the guitar, it'll cost you as much as the guitar but in the same way a car needs a service guitars do as well

·
Registered
74 Posts
Regardless of how much you pay for a guitar, it will almost always play better if you have a real luthier give it a proper setup.
I wouldn't advise getting work done at guitar shops as normally its done by a guy that just plays guitar not a guy that builds, restores and repairs guitars. It's a bit like saying a 17 year old girl can tune an Edelbrock carb because she's been driving for a few months.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Cake man is spot on, a lot of even the cheap parts are ok these days, not like the old Kay catalog guitars of old, but they are just assembled not set up. It will make all the difference in the world to have it set up by someone who knows what they are doing. You wouldn't completely rebuild your suspension and expect it to drive well without having the alignment set up.....

Also decide what you want to play, finding suitable music that she'll want to play, her fave boy band or whatever may not be suitable for solo guitar, but finding a tune or style she'll get satisfaction from will help her stick at it. The right teacher will help, don't pick one who will try and force you to learn to read music and sit RGT exams if all you want to do is learn a few tunes by rote to start off. The more fun you make it, the more likely she is to stick at it.

If you have an Ipod/pad, buy the Garageband app for about a fiver, you can plug your guitar and headphones in and get access to all sorts of amp and effects setups which are good fun to play with, and even record tracks, overdub and add drums'n'stuff if you want.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
:yeahthat:

my daughter started playing at one of mine homebuild three string sigarbox guitars. she stepped up to a chinese strat clone set. now she has quite a few gibsons, ibanez and fenders
i agree with letting it set up properly, than even the cheap guitars play very well. she still uses the cheap strat ocasionaly but it does have custom handwound pick ups now.

·
/////////\\\\\\\\\
660 Posts
my son started aged 8 on one of these which was about £60.00:

Eko: Cs-5-Guitar-3-4

you can hear some of his practice sessions here prior to his Grade 1 exam:
http://www.danielcoleman.co.uk/audio.php

After he attained Grade 1 in the spring of 2012 and Grade 2 with it in the summer 2013 (aged 10) we got him a full size Yamaha (approx £250, it's all in the wood and construction) and will be sitting his Grade 3 this summer.

I wish he'd practice more though as he's become pretty damn good and the new guitar really is superior in sound too!

Dom

·
Administrator
14,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
some fantastic advice on here guys

i have now been given a hardly used second hand guitar for free
(can't remember the name) but ill put it up here later on as there and no instructions with it
ill have a play on it for a couple of months then if me and my daughter are still moving forward ill invest in some decent gear ,if that makes sense

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Buy a guitar tuner and you can service it yourself. I'll show you and I'll do mine at the same time with pics if it helps. It's not hard. Post a pic of the guitar mate, result getting it for nothing.

·
Administrator
14,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
i purchased clip on tuner at the advice of russ on here
but today we took the one back she had from argos due to rust
we went to a music shop and purchased a much better guitar but i need to get a amp for it now

·
Administrator
14,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
i can do tomorrow

anyone heard of steve rolls
Need2KnowGuitar

he has offered to teach us both
a 1 hour lesson each week then if my daughter gets bored 1/2 way through the hour lesson he said she can play her iPad and he will send me home with notes of what to try and teach her ready for the next week which will also ensure i practice

he seems a genuine guy

·
Premium Member
2,126 Posts
Get a guitar stand/rack as you will be inclined to play it more than you would getting it in and out of a case. 10 minutes here, 10 minutes there all adds up at the end of the day.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.