Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought about getting some LED bulbs for rear/stop and indicator lights. Are they any good :?:

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
I found the same thing. A 21 watt indicator LED bulb was duller than a 5W incandescent rear light bulb through red lenses. I could hardly see the indicator flash in a dark garage.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I changed all my dash lights with LEDs. I'm happy enough. I imagine it all depends in what led design u use. Look at most modern cars they use LEDs a lot now and manage. I have loads of the xenon white and then Amber ones and they seem bright enough to cope behind a red lense.

·
Registered
661 Posts
the problem with a lot of LED bulbs is that the (cheaper) led chips are very directional, so although they can seem very bright when you look straight on at them, get 5 degrees off and there's hardly any light.

you have to look out for 'luxeon' or 'cree' to get any decent light output! then the price goes up quickly. unfortunately most of the bulb replacement LED units just aren't up to the job yet

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Interesting comments...

A mate bought some expensive l.e.d. conversions for his B.M.W. 'bike and without any doubt they were far brighter than standard, so, ever the cheapskate I got some bulbs from Ebay. I tried mine in the Herald, Harley, and even the Scoobydo pick up and in all cases the results were rubbish and could hardly be seen. The worst was in the Harley rear light which is a custom type and the bulb lies across the lens rather than in line, invisible for all practical purposes. Mine cost a couple of quid tho', mate's cost about ten times that...

One of mine is now in the back of Albert the Ariel where it is substantially better than standard, hmmm?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts