Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the previous owner has put on LED front side/indicators and rear lights.

I'm not 100% sure original Morris Minor lights wouldn't look better.

Whadya reckon?

Something about the front lights is saying all wrong to me.

The rears are ok, but I like the looks of the original lights.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
LED look great from directly facing, your rears are on a sloping panel and look to be pointing upwards, doubt they are much use . This is led for my traveller

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I personally think both front and rear need changing,I’m old fashioned,worse comes to worse,chrome covered orange bulbs in front indicators and higher voltage bulbs in rear lamps,something more original looking or even teardrops??

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think stock Lucas L632 front side/indicators look fine, so hopefully there's no glue or weird shaped cut outs under the front LED units.

Rear non-indicator units from a '50's Minor look pretty, both the rectagular ones and the curvy ones. The more modern type from '63 with indicators and reflectors not quite so nice, but you need the reflectors and I don't like add on indicators much...

Maybe there's another option somewhere?

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
I tend to agree with the other answers but I think you have your mind made up. I don't think bling and retro go together. get some original units and fit LED lamps if you want brighter lights. The indicator flasher may not work though, you'll need an electronic flasher as opposed to the old bi-metal strip one.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
If fitting LED bulbs in your indicators you will need the a LED flasher can and for the rear stop/tail lights it is recommended to fit RED led's and not white due to light infraction

·
Registered
245 Posts
Any led replacement bulb I have used in my Minor is less visible than the originals - and i've tried a few. I have the early lights as original on my 1950 Minor and I have the brake lights flashing as indicators. I also tried visibolts, but they are invisible against the chrome bumper. I also fitted small motorcycle indicators on the rear parcel shelf as car is quite low. At the front I have the small motorcycle ones behind the grille, plus I drilled holes in the headlights to fit amber bulbs. I think they are quite visible, but folk still pull out on me. However they do the same when i'm in my 53 Belair.
The look of your Minor is up to you, but in my opinion possibly too modern in appearance. I went through the whole fitting modern stuff to my Minor over the years until I reverted to all as original, and it does look better for it. Nice car by the way,

Pete

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I tend to agree with the other answers but I think you have your mind made up. I don't think bling and retro go together. get some original units and fit LED lamps if you want brighter lights. The indicator flasher may not work though, you'll need an electronic flasher as opposed to the old bi-metal strip one.
Yes, I agree too! I am going to ditch the LED's. Question is which rear lights???

Also there is a 90mm diameter hole where the LED's were, so I don't know if orginals will cover that?

·
Premium Member
14,514 Posts
Yes, I agree too! I am going to ditch the LED's. Question is which rear lights???

Also there is a 90mm diameter hole where the LED's were, so I don't know if orginals will cover that?
if you don't want to do any paint touch in's then maybe make a polished ally 'bezel' that covers the hole and bolt the new/old light to that. at least until you do paintwork elsewhere anyway.
neil.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts