Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought i would put up some pics & history about Lemon Squash ....
I had back in the 80s followed it for a few years & after it became a local car to me i just had to have it :happy:
But having missed it being for sale twice & the 3rd time no funds to buy it :sniff:...it took a little longer than i thought before i would get to own it...about 8 years! ...

These first pictures where given to me by the original builder mark spooner & show some of its build from its start as the stock consul

It was featured in various mags in the late 70s & early 80s & these are from Hot Rod & Custom Feb 82

From mark it went to peterborough & then to watford though by now it was black with some rather crap flames !.. it went through 3 owners over the next few years with me trying to be the next each time !!
It then done what all old cars seem to do & vanish ! so at the end of 87 i put an add in SM to find it ... I did find it but it would be 89 before i could call it mine !!
This is how it was when i got it home .... it had been subject to someones best intentions & left out side for sometime too

It also had now lost its reg. 87 VTW as its last watford owner (chris) had sold that on, the number went on to a merc :sniff:

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It became a major rebuild from the time i got it home to the point that EVERY mod that had been done to the car had to be redone !! the car was 16 years old when it started its build up into lemon squash... by now it was 28 years old it did'nt look that bad untill i started work on it :shocked:

As with any old car it needed inner & outer sills but with welded up rear doors it made for a bit more work !! the rear doors had to be replaced anyway the tops had rotted too ...opened for the first time in about 12 years lol

A lot of the rot that had started was from work that had been started (with them best intentions) then left, the rest because the car was by now almost 30 years old !!

The whole of the floor was replaced too with a new chassis & larger wheel tubs.
All of the roof sides were redone & new metal work made to let the rear side glass slide into the rear panel when open

In went a 302/auto box & 8" rear ...

By now rather than repair the front i just made a new front end out of new sheet matal ! (the original front end i gave back to mark)
All the wheel arches were PA cresta & had to be repaired the rears were made to fit tight to the rear wheels so tight you need to drop the axle to get the wheels on & off :D

·
Nostalgia freak
4,994 Posts
black n flamed pics

i dident realise someone somewhere along the line had re-altered the door tops and added guttering also filling in again the rear side window bit.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Then came the filler & primer...god it sounds so simple :pmsl:

Then came the paint...the paint as with all the work was done in my dads lock up
I also made up new front & rear grills the chroming of which was way more money than i ever thought it would be !

The front screen is what mark had done though it took a lot of polishing to save as the last owner damaged it badly ... (its plastic not glass)

After running it without the flames for a year, because i didnt think i could do them myself, i had to do them in the end as the cost would have been out of my budget it took about 4/5 days to work out & mask up the flames then the paint work was all over in an hour !!!

Custom car featured it in 97...

I then sold it in 2000 & it has now been through a good few owners & when i last see it a couple of years back it had lost the flames & had some silver (crap) ones instead it also has had the inside redone & the original flamed head liner is now gone :wanker:

·
Registered
531 Posts
Fanstasic pics lets hope it lasts another 20 years

·
Premium Member
8,067 Posts
AWESOME THREAD, AWESOME CAR, MUST HAVE TOOK YOU AGES TO POST THAT LOT, WELL DONE & THANKS, IVE ALWAYS LOVED THAT CAR, FIRST TIME I SAW IT WAS AT ALLY PALLY 79, THEN THE 2ND ESSEX CLUBS RUN AT GREAT LEIGHS, JULY 79, THERE ARE A COUPLE OF PICS IN YOUR FIRST BATCH OF PICTURES FROM THAT EVENT AS ARE THESE 2 THAT I TOOK...

THE WORDS ARE FROM THE CC 79 SHOW PROGRAMME...

UNFORTUNATELY MY SCHOOLMATE STUART DIDN'T LIKE IT, HERE HE IS PRETENDING TO BE SICK!!, EACH TO THEIR OWN I SUPPOSE!!...

WHEN IT TURN UP A FEW YEARS BACK AT TRINITY PARK, I WAS GOBSMACKED CAUSE I DIDN'T REALISE IT HAD BEEN REBUILT, MADE MY DAY...:tup:

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi hellblue, do you know anything about a Deuce Roadster called Lemon Deuce? (Given the names are so similar i figure you might).
No i dont as it happens ! though i think i have heard of it?

I dont know if its still around but a yellow beetle down here in cornwall was called lemon squash, :shock: that was about 10 years ago when i first moved here not seen it for years now ?

excellent thread!!!,:cool:so wheres the ol' girl too now???
anyone got any up too date pics of it???

Todate after i sold it its been through about 5 or 6 owners the last owner was from Truro way, but it was up for sale again last year, i dont know yet if it sold or where it may be yet ? though having been there & done that it became a large part of my life & i still collect any pics or info on it ! if anyone ever wanted to put my flames back on it i even still have the patterns for them !!

This is the last pic i have of it taken in 07

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
MOPAR .. thanks, When you see it at Trinity park it was most likely owned by the man that got it from a garage after it was sold to cover an unpaid bill & all he was going to do with it was sell it on again
By then it was showing signs of neglect :shake:
That day was also iconic as the car & 4 of its owners gathered around it !!

As for your mate well it was one of them cars you either liked or not, it never had an in-between ground

·
Registered
527 Posts
just seen this thread,i can shed some light on some history.i traded a 27t for "lemon squash" at the nasc nats at ipswich (4-5 years back i guess) it was up for sale by a bloke from leicester way,anyway we done a deal and it found a new home in essex (holland-on-sea,at my folks house)it was a driver but showing its age.i always had a soft spot for her,and am glad i owned her for a while.due to leaving my missus :tup: and having no money to do anything to her,she sat for a good year and a bit doing nothing,i decided to put her up for sale on "rod and classic mart" and eventually sold her to a bloke from devon,when i sold her she had the original "flamed" headliner and purple flames still,i met the original builder,mark spooner after i sold her and love the fact that i owned one of the most radical british kustoms ever built (imho) :D reards jerry

·
Premium Member
14,309 Posts
quote hellblue - 'when i last see it a couple of years back it had lost the flames & had some silver (crap) ones instead'

agreed theyre crap.

·
discotex&hissexolettes
8 Posts
Can you tell me what month & year Lemon Squash appeared in the Custom Car magazine & or any other magazines as I am trying to locaten them on the web

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yep, dec 97 as on the other page, there were other feature's too from when it was first built if you want i will dig them out ??
Are you the new owner then ? i was told it passed through ebay a short time ago

1 - 20 of 67 Posts