Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will soon be moving house to a rural plot with a very large garden, I am looking to build a garage workshop for my own personal non commercial use. I need to be inspired help me please.

·
Care in the Community
2,756 Posts
There is a guy over here somewhere building one out of an aircraft fuselage, can't remember who or where he is though!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the input guys, any more suggestions? btw the plot is nearly two acres so I expect to be limited more by budget rather than the lack of space.oops I forgot the planning authority also have a say in the matter.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Make it as big as you can. Plus a 4 post ramp if you can afford it

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Here's mine, finished in January but need to finish the house before I can start using the garage

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Here's mine, finished in January but need to finish the house before I can start using the garage

Its official Mike

I hate you :D What a brilliant space :tup:

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
I only have a single garage, which currently has parts for two projects, a 138in wheelbase slingshot dragster, a small lathe, pillar drill, MIG, TIG, 150ltr compressor, engine hoist, two roll cabs and top boxes, 5ft work bench, vice, folder, shear and all power and handtools stored. I have to keep it tidy and really struggle with storage but keeping the floor clear really helps.

If I were building from scratch, the things I would do is separate car storage, parts storage, workspace and bench areas. Move the compressor out the garage to reduce noise, have a basic extractor set up for fumes, 32 and 16 AMP sockets, as much lighting and 13a sockets as possible, (every 5ft). IF you're serious about fabrication, three phase would be the next move to use more powerful machinery. A ramp would be nice but not essential in my book, takes up a lot of space which you might want to convert later for other uses ie, spraying, chassis jig, machinery or parking. A decent RSJ and hoist would be really useful, for engine work but also lifting off cabs / bodies etc. I wouldn't bother with a pit either, dangerous to use on your own

Having the right comforts helps too, heating a big space is expensive so think about how you do it efficiently. Bring natural light into the building wherever possible, decent sound system, kettle etc.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Having the right comforts helps too, heating a big space is expensive so think about how you do it efficiently. Bring natural light into the building wherever possible, decent sound system, kettle etc.
Thanks to my wife I put underfloor heating in mine powered by an air souce heat pump. I was going to leave it out to save money but she said we'll only build it once.
I've used commercial LED lighting panels, put the compressor in the plant room at the back, put in a toilet and shower and a small office ti keep the laptop clean (can't do shit without Google )
All the sockets are down one side where the benches will go but the air is split to both sides. The plan is for an under chassis lift as my planning restrictions didn't give me the height or width for a 2 poster. At least I can get a little height and use one of those weelie stools

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
If I was doing a bigger garage, I'd re-think air supply. I have mine on a retractable reel and it works fine in a small garage but in a bigger space I'd put a few valves in and run a couple of reels each end. I'd put the reels at floor level too, having them overhead get annoying with the line draping over everything.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'd second comments about considering what you want to do in the space, and then go from there. I built the biggest (only a pre-cast concrete panel jobbie) I could in the available space (a generous single), but there's still not enough space for a decent sized bench, all my tools and a car.

Work out what you have, what you intend to get, and what you want to do, and go from there. I personally can;t stand having loads of clutter round where I'm trying to work, so if I were starting over with (relatively) unlimited space, I'd build it so everything was out of the way, and I could just walk in and get on with the job.

Then it'd be a case of figuring out what design and materials best meet the job (and budget).

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was thinking of building an agricultural style shed to blend in with my neighbour , working farm yard next door, planning consent may be easier to obtain for a large tractor shed, RESTOROD's stable block looks fantastic and is probably larger than the house I've yet to renovate.

I've been thinking about some practical issues, such as a toilet , shower or even a wet room as you would only need to screed the floor to a low point with a drain prior to floor tiling, and the walls could be clad straight with pvc type panel material.

Has anybody insulated their garage floor, beneath the concrete floor slab, and added an eco friendly (apparently cheap to run) hearing system in their garage workshop,?

Some types of insulation are fairly cheap and can make a tremendous difference, I've insulated an 8'x16' wooden building with slate undercloak memrane material and 1'' thick polystyrene insulation and a white hardboard cladding inside, it's warm enough to work at the bench most days and reasonably cool in summer .

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
I have 75mm of Celotex in the floor and walls and wet underfloor heating powered by an air source heat pump in a 90mm fibre screed. The barn is toastie but the only drawback with underfloor is its slow reaction time

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I have 75mm of Celotex in the floor and walls and wet underfloor heating powered by an air source heat pump in a 90mm fibre screed. The barn is toastie but the only drawback with underfloor is its slow reaction time
Thats why you leave the underfloor ticking over all the time, well 3 seasons :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts