Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kinda of following on from my post concerning 'where do you live, and why'.

My brother-in-law (who is somewhat older then me) said to me the other week that he feels that the UK is washed up. If he and my sister were much younger (both retired and feel its too late to up roots) that they would like to live somewhere else, he's first choice would be Canada.

Now I know for immigration reasons that cant just go 'anywhere' to live BUT if you could, where would it be and why ?

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,143 Posts
Curved ball here ...I'd move to Cyprus, always liked their attitude to life and the warmth would do my old bones good. They've even got a dragstrip there !

New Zealand sounds appealing from what I've heard as well.

·
Registered
502 Posts
My oldest mate emigrated to Tasmania 4 years back. Before he moved his house was worth 50% less than mine and he earned about 50% less than me. He is in the same game as me, but I was a bit higher up the management ladder.

In 4 years he has worked his socks off and now has a very large house in 10 acres, toy cars to play with and has just bought a boat. His house is at the bottom of a mountain range and the views from his land are stunning.

As he says, he is a normal working bloke out there but can afford a far higher standard of living ...

Tas for me :)

·
Mr Invisible
1,510 Posts
Curved ball here ...I'd move to Cyprus, always liked their attitude to life and the warmth would do my old bones good. They've even got a dragstrip there !

New Zealand sounds appealing from what I've heard as well.
Apart from the fact that i nearly died there.... :pmsl::pmsl:
Yup, NZ would be the place.

·
Sheep Shagger
858 Posts
Portugal for me at the moment. Just north of the Algarve, or on the coast near to the Spanish border.

Out of all the places I've been it's the one I have felt most comfortable. Plus there's some good riding roads and custom bike builders there.
The rallying is great too.
There's a new race track just outside Portimao too.

S'Funny what you consider when you would like to move.
If only they had a dragstrip.

Haven't been to Cyprus or Malta yet though.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Always wanted to try America,somewhere warm,maybe south-west or the Carolinas on the other coast. No chance of a legal Green Card though:sniff:
Australia also sounds good [pity I didn't know more about it when I was younger and the entry qualifications were lower]
New Zealand is a beautiful place but I got to know a 'kiwi' who is settled here and he informed me that the economy/labour market are not very good there.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
For me it would have to be America at the moment. Working with the NHRA would be nice, doing the Full Throttle Tour with a drag race team even nicer. Dreamin again!

·
Premium Member
1,769 Posts
Yeah, probably the states if anywhere. South Carolina or some Southern state like Louisiana or Georgia.

·
Registered
548 Posts
portugal for me too dig the laid back lifestyle. And apparent lack of health an safety idiots rode down last year for the faro rally fantastic country. really friendly people too.

·
Fruit & Nut Case
2,100 Posts
I've just got back from 2 weeks in the states then 8 days in Canada (Toronto) where my brother has lived for 22 years now. I am seriously thinking of packing it all in here and moving to Toronto. Only one draw back... an average temperature of -20 in the winter but the good bit is its just like America, but without the Americans :tup:

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
I'm lucky...dual nationality....USA passport and social security number!! I went back for 18 months from Dec 2000 and thoroughly loved it. My wife really loves it and we may well end up back in Georgia for 6 months of the year!!! In fact anywhere South EXCEPT Floridas east coast.
going for a week in December...wife misses wal Mart...bloody *******!!
Cha7z

1 - 12 of 12 Posts