Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
57 nomad
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a very long shot, but I don't suppose anyone out there has a front seat for a 57 chevy 2 dr going spare? A front seat came with my car when I bought it but I don't think it's correct.

The seat shells on the backrest are the wrong shape and the backrest mount fouls the new 57 seat shell lower.

I have no idea what the frame should look like but I don't think this is it for a 57

Cheers

Mark

Attachments

·
57 nomad
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have just been surfing to see if I could spot the car this seat is from and remarkably I have found it. It is from a 55 Pontiac which I guess is the same size as the Chevy one but with subtle differences

·
57 nomad
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm sure there was a post about this on the US Tri Five forum. Worth a search maybe?
Yes, there is a guy selling on for $900 but I think the shipping would be pretty high that's why I thought I would see if there is one over here first. Didn't know if someone was doing a stripped out track car or gasser that meant they didn't need the seat.

Cheers

·
Desparado
7,337 Posts
Oh the joys of looking for a 57 bench. I looked for 3 years & gave up & bought a Glide. Def not cheap, whichever seat you go for.
I'd stick with what you got. Do the backrests lock ? Pretty sure, I also had one of those during my search. Bit lower than a Chevy seat

·
Desparado
7,337 Posts
No, Chevys dont, but the 'other' 1 I had did. Looking at your pic, thought it was the same. Had small latches at the bottom of the backrests. I never did find out what it was from.
If the seat you have works, except for the shells. Be easier / cheaper to change or mod the shells.

You prob dont want to hear this, but Glide sent me a standard bench, not the custom I ordered. Was their cock up, & I ended up flogging it for £400 !

·
57 nomad
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, Chevys dont, but the 'other' 1 I had did. Looking at your pic, thought it was the same. Had small latches at the bottom of the backrests. I never did find out what it was from.
If the seat you have works, except for the shells. Be easier / cheaper to change or mod the shells.

You prob dont want to hear this, but Glide sent me a standard bench, not the custom I ordered. Was their cock up, & I ended up flogging it for £400 !
It looks like a small latch could mount on the base of the backrest. Here is a shot of the Pontiac set up 56H79068-3sm.jpg

·
57 nomad
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I will trim the seat I have and make it as good as it can be, then when the car is up and running I can track down the correct frame as an when one appears.

The Pontiac seat is very similar but I think the corner of the seat where you see the hinge metal will be a little messy.

you would think that, having made a few hundred thousand cars, that these frames would be two a penny.

Cheers

Mark

1 - 11 of 11 Posts