Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got building control coming in early March and they say they need to see a Part P cert.
I've had a retired sparky do all the work but he cant do the part P cert for me :cry:
Can anyone on here please help me ?
I dont expect to have this done for free so I'm willing to pay for time/fuel and so on.
I'm in the S.Lincs/N. Cambs area

·
Registered
355 Posts
Have you asked building control, as they are able to do them for you in this area, for a fee. :tup:

Most electricians will not certify others work, so it's a bit of a closed shop.

Obviously you may get a rodder to do it, for tea and buns, and a couple of hours chatting about rods. :D

·
Premium Member
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you asked building control, as they are able to do them for you in this area, for a fee. :tup:

Obviously you may get a rodder to do it, for tea and buns, and a couple of hours chatting about rods. :D
Didnt want to ask building control or even another electrician who wasnt 'friendly', hence I would prefer a fellow rodder (or friend of) that could do it.
Could even have my electrician (brother-in-law) present to answer any questions or problems as I know nothing about the subject.

·
Registered
612 Posts

building control wont retro pass stuff, they would have if you informed before you start. it costs in the region of £80 per visit and usually requires 3 visits

if you were more local id say yes id do it.

any other sparky will want to see ALL joints, cable runs, connections etc.
Part P'ing other peoples work is a big mine field as you are taking responsibility for work done by someone else, ie where cables are run through joists, down wall, and importantly we would have to make sure it conformed to latest 17th edition regs.

No offence to anyone, but if it was done by a retired sparky can you be sure he took the correct measures to meet required standards.

by doing 3rd party Part P you open yourself up to a hole heap of trouble, specially if the holes thru joists cause a floor to collapse or something, or the building inspector decides they are in the wrong place and the joists have to be replaced

ive only ever done it for people i can trust, as it can cost so much to put right

·
Premium Member
1,753 Posts
I am near you Kimleonard and am prepared to do a certificate for you when I can fit it in.
PM me your details and I will give you a ring.

·
Fruit & Nut Case
2,100 Posts
building control wont retro pass stuff, they would have if you informed before you start. it costs in the region of £80 per visit and usually requires 3 visits

if you were more local id say yes id do it.

any other sparky will want to see ALL joints, cable runs, connections etc.
Part P'ing other peoples work is a big mine field as you are taking responsibility for work done by someone else, ie where cables are run through joists, down wall, and importantly we would have to make sure it conformed to latest 17th edition regs.

No offence to anyone, but if it was done by a retired sparky can you be sure he took the correct measures to meet required standards.

by doing 3rd party Part P you open yourself up to a hole heap of trouble, specially if the holes thru joists cause a floor to collapse or something, or the building inspector decides they are in the wrong place and the joists have to be replaced

ive only ever done it for people i can trust, as it can cost so much to put right
Spot on about all the part P stuff. Maybe this should be read with your other thread. I have found most retired sparkys are working to older versions of the regs and as these changed quite drastically within the last few years a lot of there work is not correct.
It is ILLEGAL for a third party to sign off somebody else's work for the part P notification. A different electrician could electrically test the job but The local building control should not accept a periodic report as that states hidden cables are not tested. As graingermouse said it would be unwise to sign a installation cert if you did not see the job being carried out

·
Registered
348 Posts
Signing off others work

Have to agree its dicey,when you sign that certificate your accepting responsibility for that job even if you didn't do the install,if anything happens to someone you could be looking at manslaughter:sniff::cry:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts