Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

181 - 200 of 255 Posts

·
Administrator
9,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #182 ·
You are welcome.

Not much to photograph today as it was mostly more fibreglassing & filling.

I did take two of the four rear shocks off to see where the suspension arc travel goes - without any of the car built its almost solid with all 4 shocks fitted.

I then used a plumb line to mark the floor where the inside of each wing is and then the outer flange of the axle faces. I then measured the wheel flange to the outside edge of the tyres. Wheel flange to tyre edge was 5 1/2" and the axle flange to the inside of the rear wings were......2 3/4" passenger side & 3 1/4" drivers side. Lol, you have to love these old cars, never the same side to side.

Before anyone asks - yes the axle is central to the chassis - I checked that and all axle dimensions are good - the difference is in the actual bodywork and in the glass wings as well.

As such I think narrowing the axle 5" will be the correct amount, this will leave the outer sidewall bulge approx flush with the inside edge of the arches with the tread section approx 1" inside the arch. I'll double check this with the axle removed and the tyres positioned on the floor lines to make sure it looks good and will clear the arches.

This shows the new flange first layer with the arch popped off the car.

It went back on the car after the photo was taken for the next layers to be built up. The front arches also got another layer on the rear edge and under the headlamp fixing points.

Then it was back to sanding filler & starting to sand the gutters in the roof prior to filling the recess where they are welded to the roof.

Another job that needed doing was the drivers door top corner was a bit too tight to the body. I ground a wedge off about 180 mm long and about 5mm at the end of the door, this allows enough room for the weld bead to go back on.

With the door shut;

And after a lot of hand filing straight - much better gap.

237.5 hours.

·
Administrator
9,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #183 ·
Well some days you spend time in the garage but when you finish you wonder just quite what did you do? Tonight was one of those times.

I did some filler work (groundhog day, lol) and I unbolted the rear wings and trimmed down the new flange material and generally sanded the new matt back to feather the edges into the existing wing. New flanges shown here - more needs to be added at the top and it will need grinding back on this side as well so new matt can go on the outside so it's properly sandwiched on to the existing glass.

I sanded back all the filled areas of the front wings as well as sanding all of the excess new glass where it overhung the edges of the wings. The insides also were gone over with the DA to feather the edges into the existing fibreglass.

No more wing support holes;

No more indicator holes;

and no more headlamp recess areas;

Hopefully tomorrow will be more productive.

240 hours

·
Administrator
9,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #185 ·
Tonight was better than last night
:)

An early tea gave me a bit more time in the garage, even though I mowed the lawn first (it was getting to an epic height with the recent rain).

Some parts arrived today - thanks some advice on where to buy them we now have a new handbrake gaiter and hand grip.

Then it was Dremel time with the small burr tool. All of the stress cracks have been ground out of the front wings ready for flowcoat to be added back in them.
Working on the wings highlighted that they are not very flat - the drivers side in particular is like the Hymalaya's - so some serious filling and reprofiling will be needed on that.

When I had done all of those it was time for a bit more primer. Rear corners got another coat after the last round of profiling, drivers side is 99% there but there is an odd angle/bulge just below the swage line on the passenger side on the outer curve that needs more work.

And the passenger side rear inner arch is now primed.

242.5 hours

·
Registered
470 Posts
BlackPopRacing - I recognise the use of brown parcel tape and fibreglass matting from my own build . ;)

What is the benefit of adding flowcoat to the fresh fibreglass, before adding filler over the flowcoat?

No prizes for guessing I missed out that step, but my car is dog rough by comparison to your work.

Cheers, Paul. :)

·
Registered
685 Posts
I found my Austin is different side to side on A posts and front roof but the countryman was "coach" built up till 51. Coming along nicely , soon be ready for colour !!

·
Administrator
9,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #189 ·
Wayne,
Gaiter was on Ebay - Gaiter

Paul,
I prefer adding the flowcoat as its fully waterproof and seals it properly. It's also very hard compared to filler. Straight filler is probably ok though.

Budetta/Wayne,

Yep, different shapes cause all sorts of issues when trying to get stuff level/straight.

·
Administrator
9,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #191 ·
Belated updates on this. On Wed night my friend Geoff came over (who is also building a Pop) and we were in the garage till the early hours of the morning. Chatting and looking at Phil's rear axle (he has a Jag unit under his so knows how they go together - I've never stripped one before) and advising how to strip/build it.

Before Geoff came over I got some work done on the wings, flowcoat was mixed up and applied in all of the ground out cracks.

I have just got a new tin of flowcoat as mine is almost empty, the new one says "use within 3 months" .........hmmm lucky my 20 year old tin does not know that then
;)

We then dissassembled part of one side of the axle. This was a little worrying as the main hub nuts have new looking split pins in them, these were removed and the big breaker bar brought out to undo them - except they were finger tight?

The nuts holding the half shaft to the diff were literally hand tight as I undid them with the extension bar only - no ratchet spanner needed!

Driveshaft slid out of the hub on its own - normally they are super tight and need persuading out. I'm not sure if someone has been in there recently and undone everything - but it's not good if they did not say and Phil was to use it like it. I will ask Phil about it this weekend.

The good news is everything is in perfect condition with no wear anywhere.

243 hours.

·
Administrator
9,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #192 ·
Well this took far longer than expected! one stripped of U/J's & cleaned & one to go.

It's all stripped out now but it put up a fight. There are some very odd nut sizes going on there - I think some new bolts with uniform nuts will be got for when it goes back together. It will need new seals for the lower inner fulcrum joints as well. Lower arms are also now removed.

This looks a far better fit for the wheels;

Side view as best I could manage in the workshop;

245 hours.

·
Registered
685 Posts
You were lucky the shafts came out the bearings okay and the flange came off as well, I have done a few and its a PIA to set rear hub bearings up with the thick shim . In fact I think I still have a few some place. Then the bloody annoying shims on hub to lower arm that are a fiddle to get in . Best of luck fitting it all up!!

·
Administrator
9,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #194 ·
Today was partly used up on my car, there is a car meet tomorrow so it was time to get it out of hibernation. I spun the engine over to get oil pressure up & then fired it up. Took it to a petrol station to fill up and then fixed a couple of faults on it. Steering joint had a little play in it as the bolt had come a bit loose - tightened that up and then found the passenger window had decided to not work.

Tested with a volt meter and power was getting there, so stripped the door panel off and checked the relays - all good, so undid the plugs and re seated them and it all worked again.

I think it was just sulking for not being used for so long. After reassembling the door I wiped it down to remove all the dust and put it away for the morning.

Moving on to Phil's car, it was continuing stripping down the rear axle components. All parts are now dissassembled and stripped of paint and degreased. The chrome is still mostly there, though the stripping disc has done it no favours (good for paint adhesion later though). All ready for getting narrowed.

The rest of the parts were cleaned and marked up. Phil will need to order new bearings and seals as most of those removed were in poor condition with several roller bearings missing in some bearings and water ingress in all of them.

249 hours.

·
Administrator
9,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #195 ·
Woo, went to a car meet today! Yay! over 200 cars so everyone was happy to get out again.

Met Phil there and after lunch he came over to join me for more work on the car.
I'd not mentioned the work on the roof gutters on here as I was keeping it as a surprise for Phil when he arrived. He was very happy how it was looking - sorry I forgot photos today, will add some tomorrow.

We spent a little while looking at the proposed tyre placement in the arches, Phill was happy so we will take the bits over to Wayne at Oddrods next week for narrowing. I showed Phil the wear in the bearings of the axle and then stripped down 2 of the 4 shocks. Phil will get the other two stripped as I don't have a spring compressor small enough to fit the coils.

His task today was to remove the diff and handbrake from the car, we have now 100% completely dissassembled the car - there are no more bolts or screws left to undo. After he remove it I gave it a scrub and pressure washed it.

I then tasked him with scraping of all of the underseal from the floor where the axle had been, as I continued with rubbing down all of the flowcoat that had been applied to the wings. He also prepped the roof gutter on the drivers side ready for filler to be applied.

I added more filler on the rear panel to lose the bump on the left rear quarter and a little extra to finalise the profile on the right corner.

When we had done all of this I shot a bit of primer on while Phil watched to see how the new filler work looked. Stress cracks are now eliminated.

Rear panel is almost there now, there is a small peak on the bottom edge of the left quarter that I want to lose but otherwise I think we are done on this part of the car.

254 hours.

·
Administrator
9,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #197 ·
Was the car show at tesco,s car park,lol.
I thought when I posted that photo that the background was poor, lol. It was at the end of the show which was at Runnymede car park so shared with normal public.
There were some good cars there but I don't bother taking many phots anymore, a few below though.

·
Administrator
9,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #199 ·
A mild 24.5 degrees in the garage today made it a tad warm but ideal for fibreglass or filler work.

The bootlid was again what I would class as raceweight - incredibly light but also incredibly thin. As such it needs more fibreglass added inside the lid. Here I have started stripping the black paint off the inside and we have already drilled some extra holes in the inner panel for access to get the fibreglass brush in.

Now fully stripped of black paint.

I added some extra holes for the brush and the 600 gram matt is in place ready for resin.

It took some gynaecological skills to get the resin all over the matt - I put two layers of 600 gram in, but the outer skin is now solid - before finger pressure would easily push the skin inwards.

The gutters are progressing - filler is being added and knocked back, early days but looking good.

258 hours

·
Administrator
9,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #200 ·
Tonight Phil came over and we went over to OddRods to drop off the axle bits for narrowing. Wayne also offered a service for shotblasting & powder coating the parts by a company that he uses locally and highly recommends, so they will come back in high gloss black.

When we got back I was back in the garage on the next job. In the past where the boot had the new valence fitted thay never finished off the corners of the boot - so we have daylight in each corner, which is not good.

I had been playing with Kellogs aided design earlier,

And transferred to metal;

I got the fit good on both sides;

And then welded both of them in.

I will bond/seal the outer edge to the body skin with a bead of Tiger seal. Another job ticked off the list
:)

Feel free to comment or ask questions.

260.5 hours.

181 - 200 of 255 Posts