Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

201 - 220 of 252 Posts

·
Administrator
9,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #201 ·
Not a great deal of photo worthy progress tonight, rubbing down filler in the gutters I noticed a bit of a hollow in the rear O/S boot hump. A quick rub down with the longboard highlighted the low area highlighted in pencil.

So after it was keyed up some filler was added; (the rough bit is where I caught my overalls on it)

Then it was on to seam sealing the metalwork I added last night. I'm using Tiger seal and with the warm temps it was a dream to use for a change. Very happy with the beads I laid down, these were done on both sides of the joints.

The rest of the evening was spent lying on my back under the car sealing up all of the edge joints where the floor skin was brazed to the floor framework. I've done about 2/3rds of it, I'll finish it off tomorrow.

262.5 hours.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I’m am constantly amazed by the ability of guys like yourself who can feel the slightest low spots or bits that just aren’t quite right with bodywork, it’s something I’ve never been able to master.
Is it an experience thing or one of those things you can or can’t do?

Superb build, I always look forward to catching up on it while I’m having breakfast! :giggle:

·
Administrator
9,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #203 ·
I'm not sure - I can just 'see' (often when I'm not even looking for it) defects in things. Possibly carries over from my day job where everything has to be perfect.

On this particular bit I just happened to glance down from doing the gutters and saw the slight hollow, so addressed it before I forgot about it, lol.

·
Administrator
9,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #204 ·
Tonight was more sealing up of the floor underneath which is now mostly finished. A few small areas around the boot still but I ran out of sealant.

I sanded down the new filler in the rear boot side panel, its almost there - a little more work should see it right.

Then I cut the end of the fuel tank off
;)

I cut it at an angle so rotating it around a bit gets it a lot closer to the filler neck alignment. It's still a bit off so I think I will need to do the same to the filler neck tube as well. Only potential problem with that is it's a soldered steel tube so it might not be so straightforward.

Then I spent an hour or so fettling the door hinges and door alignment. Pleased to say I got them fitting pretty darned good. How's that for a door gap
:)

There is a bit of a tight spot on the passenger front edge, but a bit of grinding back and re-welding like the other door top will fix that so that's a big step forward.

I'll get some new stainless bolts at the weekend and once I've got those tightened properly I'll drill some alignment holes in the hinges and the doors can come off.

265 hours.

·
Administrator
9,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #206 ·
Thanks for your comments Paul, nice to get some feedback.

So, where was I?

Fuel tank filler neck? ah, yes. Choppity chop,chop and it's now in line;

and some time later with some help from the metal sparkly glue stick and it all looks like this. I did not dress the welds back much as I did not want to cause any leaks. I have good penetration all the way through but I'll test them with some chalk powder and acetone to make sure.

and with the connecting hose back on it all lines up nicely.

Filler neck is as tight to the body as I could manage.

While I had the welder out I finished all the welding on the inner front wings and the other half of the bonnet - no photos as you all know what they look like from the other bits that were done so I wont bore you with more.

I drilled out the rivets hold the bonnet pull down mechanism on this panel as it was the one that was so messed up, with that removed it was easier to dress most of the dents out, then a skim of filler was added.

and knocked back again. This panel will be hard to work on as it's so damn flexible that I can't sand it flat easily as it keeps flexing when I sand it. I think I will have to finish these panels when they are back on the car where they are supported properly.

Boot gutter also is getting a smear of filler all round to smooth it all out. The low spot on the right hand side of boot hump is now gone too.

270 hours

·
Administrator
9,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #207 ·
Today was a get covered in crap day.

Phil (very sensibly) wanted a reversing and a foglamp fitted. He had a reversing lamp & I found a similar styled foglamp online which he bought to match. A simple bracket was made using a bit of angle.

Which will be fitted here. Now the easy option would have been to weld it on - but I don't do easy, lol. If it were welded it would be difficult to paint as well as restricting access to the metalwork behind (which needs cleaning up and painting as well).

So I drilled it out and tapped threads in the towing plate instead. It's now bolted in. I tucked the lamps up tight into the valence, they will be easy to see from a following cars perspective.

But quite hidden from a standing behind the car view;

The next job was drilling and tapping the chassis to accept 10mm bolts with the heads cut off. These were then carefully welded around the bottom to make welded studs for the tank to fit to. There were two studs on one side and a single stud on the other side originally, there are now three per side. A fair bit of floor & chassis stripping was involved for this so I was pretty filthy by the time it was done.

Thats two more jobs ticked off the list though.

275 hours.

·
Registered
398 Posts
all very nice, particularly like the fact the rear aches line through at the bottom backs with the rear valence, many don’t. Great work

·
Registered
327 Posts
Looking great. One of those 80/20 rules I reckon: the last 20% of 'little' jobs end up taking 80% of the effort.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Must say you certainly put a lot of thought into how to get thing looking really nice. Sure your mate Phil will be in Seventh Heaven with a big smile on his face when you hand the Pop back to him. What the procedure for the chalk and acetone test.

·
Premium Member
14,400 Posts
mark, did you see that 'orange a peel' is for sale? next project?

·
Administrator
9,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #219 ·
Phil came over tonight with Colin, another friend of both of us for a garage visit. Colin also owns a Pop, a different twist on one though;

The rusty bits are all fake
;)

I'd found some more MX5 seats on ebay and pointed Phil to them, his wife put in a cheeky offer & he got them for a very good price. They are full leather in black and are in very good condition.

They are a good fit in the car and nice and comfortable, so we are both very pleased with them. After Phil & Colin left I had a bit of a think as how to mount them, got some good ideas going which I'll refine over the next day or two.

275.5 hours.

·
Premium Member
14,400 Posts
i wooden have believed how easy it was to mount the seats :rolleyes:

201 - 220 of 252 Posts