Not much progress of late, Wed night was our first car meet of our local club since lockdown, nice to get the car out again and meet all my car friends again.
Thurs I was just too tired to do anything.
I had a day off today so I bought some steel tube and set to on the seat frames. This was a day when the car fought back, I spent most of the day on it with virtually nothing to show for it.
Ok, the seat frame had to be mocked up and trialled several times and this did entail altering it 3 times as well but really this should have been much quicker. Drilling the floor was a trial as well, I had to drill through welds - of course the drill snapped in the hole and jammed the end in. I fixed it in the end by welding a new big puddle over it and drilled that out - which was also difficult as weld is hard as diamonds
Anyway................. it's now is tacked together and bolted in, when Phil comes over he can test the position and if he's happy it can be welded properly. There will be another diagonal brace added to make a cross once I know it's correct. The floor mount has to be long to pick up on the underfloor braces. Sideways movement will be controlled by the mounts on the other side as it will fix to the side of the transmissoin tunnel rather than the floor.
While I had the pedal box out to check for legroom I sorted the pedal positions - here they are before any work, as you can see they are all in different positions.
So I made up a little adjustable stop for the brake pedal (as it was too high)
It will be welded in here;
That's better, throttle pedal was tweaked a little, it will be done properly once we mock up the interior trim to see how much (little) room we have to move it in.
The last job of the day after sealing up more seams underneath was getting a few more areas in primer, the main two were the rear wings to see how they are looking where they have been extended.
Slower progress today - mainly because it's really hot (average 24 degrees in the garage - even with all the doors open and a nice breeze running through) so less gets done than when it's chilly in the garage.
Phil came over and we checked the seating position for him. Pleased to say that it was spot on (so previous measurements with him sat in the car were correct).With that checked we put the front sheet matal back on the car as it is easier to sand the grill fixed to the car. Phils job for the day was to sand down all of the grill ribs for me.
While he was doing that I started on the passenger seat frame - Phil had brought this seat over today for me as its different to the drivers side. This went a little quicker than the last one but still took most of the day to do.
Much checking and mocking up was done by both of us resulting in a new seat frame tacked up by the end of the day that we were both happy with in terms of position & height. Both seats are nicely symmetrical and equally positioned in the car now. Happily there is also a good bit of room to access the handbrake as well.
I still need to do the inner mounts to the tunnel for both seats, but now the bulk of the work is done. Phil has taken the seats away so he can clean them up properly, they will be re-stained black and fed with a lot of saddle soap to recondition the leather.
I have the frames left here so they will be a lot easier to work on without the seats fixed to them, that will be a job for tomorrow.
Another job which I had noticed was the steering wheel was quite offset to the seat - some 50mm off centre towards the middle of the car. It was not as bad with the old seats but it was offset previously as well.
So a bit of work with the angle grinder and the mounts were removed from the crossbrace. It was all cleaned up and the mounts tidied up and the whole lot was welded back up 25mm towards the door - moving the steering wheel central to the seat.
As Phil commented - it's the little things that make the big difference.
Of course that means the clutch pedal now fouls the column a little, so that will need some minor surgery for clearance.
We are both out to a small local breakfast meet in my Pop tomorrow morning just for Ford Pops, so maybe some photos of that tomorrow.
Wooooo, not much done so far today as it's hot, damn hot! 28 degrees in the garage with all doors and windows open.
This morning we went to a local breakfast meet just for pops, very pleasant meeting up with people and a very chilled garden area by the River for food.
As mentioned it was just too hot for garage time today, I did a little sanding and then as it was a cooler job I stripped the bearings in one of the rear axle hubs.
Hmmmm.....don't think they should be looking like that..........
I see a full axle bearing rebuild on the horizon - never done a Jag back axle so if anyone has a manual or can chip in with advice then it will be very welcome.
Clutch pedal is cut and prepped for welding - it clears the column nicely now.
Hopefully I can do an hour or two later tonight when it cools down a bit.
You do need to know the preloads of the bearings and the lower arm outer bearings are shimmed for crush. It has new Uj's so we are good in that one. Geof gave me a load of info but any tips are welcome
Outer crush is determined by the thickness of the big washer - different thickness washers give a different amount of crush - no crush washers used.
Inner bearings are fine as you say. Hopefully wont need to do the hub bearings as they seem ok.
I got another hour in tonight - only 22 degrees so still quite humid.
Seat frames are now fully welded (still need to make more parts & weld those as well) as is the clutch pedal;
I rubbed a bit of filler down but that was enough for today.
A forum community dedicated to UK Hot Rod & Street Rod owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about Hot Rods, builds, performance, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, maintenance, and more!