Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
241 - 260 of 315 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,506 Posts
Hi Neil, not sure it will be needed but probably not a bad shout as it will only take a minute to do.
that's just what i was thinking, easy to do now rather than later if it was to bend in use.
neil.

·
Premium Member
7,490 Posts
There shims..id like to know how you can crush them. Crush washers are designed to be crushed slighly.like a copper washer on brakes. Crush and shimming are two different things

If you buy decent bearings and not cheap shit,youre find they will be the same as the originals.ive always put back in whatever shims came out. .bearings are built to be size specific.if they were all out as you claimed,nothing would ever fit anything.

You have to do it how ever you see fit,and ill keep doing them the way i do.

·
Premium Member
7,490 Posts
And just for Wayne, two shim washers for setting crush, one is 4 thou and one is 7 thou thick.

View attachment 631323
[/QUOT

You cannot set crush on that.its a pivot point. You can shim it only like is is already. To set any crush, it would need to be torqued down.but you cant torque that down .you just tighten up the two outer nuts once its all reasembled .

Good luck but please dont do 36 posts on how you set it up.

·
Registered
743 Posts
And the reason the bearings have gone, the greaser just fills the hub casting and escapes on the inside and doesn't get in the bearing in my experience so pack the new one well.

·
Premium Member
14,506 Posts
the shims are probably accounting for machining differences in the assembly, not any tolerance on the bearing.....
good point and one which confirms wayne's fit like for like bearings with whatever shims were there originally statement.
neil.

·
Premium Member
14,506 Posts
Hmmmm.........should I follow the instructions on how to set it up in the Jaguar manual or just whack it back together with whatever came out cos some bloke on a forum said it would be ok................hmmmm..........
put it back as it was? with your ocd? never 😉

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #260 ·
I don't have ocd, I just believe in doing a job properly and I have a lot of patience. I could explain why the shims are so important but it would only fall on deaf ears.

Anyway, moving on. It's still so damn humid in the garage, even with the fans on. Still - I did manage a couple more hours tonight and I'm sipping a nice cool Corona while I write this. Clurch pedal is now boxed and 3 out of 4 mounts are now finished on one seat frame. Nuts welded to underside of floor for easy fitting of seats.

296.5 hours.

241 - 260 of 315 Posts