Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
281 - 300 of 322 Posts

·
Administrator
9,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #281 ·
Not much progress lately as work has been intense so too tired when I get home.

Got a bit more done though. The other inner wing is now primed.

I dusted the bootlid over with a light coat so I can go over it with the longboards to see where the low spots are as there are a couple of big ones.

And the inside of the front grill is now primed.

317 hours.

·
Administrator
9,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #282 ·
Today Phil & I met at our local meet at Runnymede in the morning and we caught up with a lot of other friends.

We started back on the car in the afternoon. I left Phil to start cleaning the engine & diff unit with gunk while I sorted the pressure washer & drainage for it all.

After a lot of scrubbing by both of us the units were pretty clean so Phil stripped a few bits off the engine to take home & paint while I was working on fitting the bootlid & hinges back on the car. These needed a fair bit of fettleing before I could get the bootlid to sit properly in the body.

Cleaned engine;

and diff unit;

Both will be painted up - diff will be gloss black but engine will probably be in body colour.

The bootlid now fitted and with it's second layer of filler applied. Gaps will be addressed after the profile has been sorted.

Drivers door is getting some filler applied on the low spots, this is early days as it will be done properly when the doors come off the car, but while I am mixing up bigger quantities of filler the excess can go on the doors. Doors should come off soon I think.

Front sheet metal is temporarily fitted back on as I hope to start on the bonnet soon, also so Phil can see how it's shaping up, he is extremely happy with it
:)

Phils last job of the day was to go over the entilre underside of the car with panel wipe so I can get some primer on it this week. He will be very glad to know that this is the end of the grubby lying under the car work!
323 hours.

·
Premium Member
14,509 Posts
are you going to seam seal all the gaps between the floors and any crossmembers that are close to stop moisture getting in there?
neil.

·
Premium Member
14,509 Posts
it's surprising how any gaps show up once the area's primed

·
Administrator
9,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #289 ·
After last night's keep it clean for paint night it was lets make it all dusty again tonight.

Bootlid got the filler knocked back and marked up for low spots. More filler was then applied.

While the filler was going off I started making a(nother) tool for sanding the boot gutters. A piece of 3mm polyprop sheet was wedged into the gutter;

Then some heat applied (wedges have changed here) to get it to form to the roof shape.

Then trim it down, screw another bit of nylon bar to it as a handle and apply some adhesive sandpaper and we have a sanding block that will sand to the roof profile and also fit down inside the gutter.
Another flat version is next to it.

The filler on the bootlid then got knocked back again with the longboard (on top of boot hump) its now a bit less Hymalayas and a bit more Pyranees. A long way to go then........

The roof is getting another go as I was not happy with it, there were a couple of low spots still.
Gutters are getting more filler ready for the new profiling block to get it to flow into the gutters better.

326 hours

·
Administrator
9,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #291 ·
He is indeed.

Been away for a week but before I went;
More sanding - making nice dust mountains on the floor.

Roof and gutters were sanded enough to get another coat of primer on them to see how they are looking. Better, but still gof flat sections in places so more work needed yet.

Passenger A post had a crease in it that I had not spotted before, all gone now though

329.5 hours.

·
Administrator
9,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #292 ·
So, a nice week in Scotland with my mrs 93 year old mum, who is still quite active and sharp as a tack.

Back now and back in the garage this afternoon.
Feeling a bit dispondant about the flat gutter areas I left those and started on another job. The roof panel.
First job was to find the centreline of the car, the laser lever is invaluable for this;

And then to start marking the distance from the gutter areas,

After lots of careful marking out the dremel came out and choppity chop chop, some of the roof panel fell off
:D

And then, as if by magic it was all fitted, drilled and rivets put in the holes.

With that done, the holes were countersunk and the roof panel put back into storage ready for fitting once the car is painted.

Phil has supplied some nice new door mirrors, so lets fit them.

After a lot of careful measuring again, the doors were drilled and the mirrors fitted.

They look good but won't actually work unfortunately as we can't angle them enough to get the correct line of sight. You can see this from top view as the bullet that the mirror fixes to needs to be in line front/rear but as you can see it angles outwards due to the door angle. Luckily we know a local hot rodder (Rob) who is also a machinist so I'll need to get him to make up some aluminium wedges to fit between the doors and the mirror base to get them back in line.

With those done I had to return to the roof gutters. As the shaped sander did not produce the desired results (sanding a convex curve is difficult under normal circumstances - let alone when it is behind a gutter) I am trying another tack, making a shaped tool for applying the filler in the correct profile so sanding will be secondary for getting the correct shape.

A tool was bent to approx the correct shape - difficult as the profile changes all along the roof, but we will see how well it works.

It seems to have applied the filler smoothly, hopefully it will sand out nicely and provide the profile I'm after.

334.5 hours

·
Administrator
9,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #293 ·
Arrgghh!! don't you just hate it when you have finished typing out an update and your browser crashes!

Not much photo worthy today.

First job was sanding back the filler in the roof gutters, the shaped filler tool appears to have done the job (hopefully) though there were a lot of small low spots that needed an extra skim. This is to be expected though when using a shaped tool. We will see tomorrow when the new skim is sanded back and some primer goes on whether it's there or not.

Next job was reinforcing the bootlid hinge mounting area. As previously mentioned the glass is very thin so when you open the boot it flexes a lot. I can't add glass on the inside unfortunately so it will have to go on the outside. This is not a real issue as the hinge area is recessed so it will just bring it up flush. Seen here are 2 layers of 600 gram and one layer of 350 gram matt. This will have the added benefit of getting the holes back to the correct size as the old ones were almost worn through to the bolt head size.

While that was curing I changed all of the old bolts in the doors for new stainless ones. The drivers door fits nicely but the passenger door needs to come out a little at the bottom. This needed the holes opened up in the hinge, not an easy task filing 1/4" plate steel when you can't clamp the hinge tight. While the door is off I stripped the remaining paint off around the edges and also did a bit more filler work on it.

With the door off I could get to the A post to look at the area in front of the hinge. This is a bit of a mess shape wise as it's where the A post repair section finishes and its less than straight! A fair bit of filler is applied here so I have plenty of material to use when reshaping it to the correct profile.

As always feel free to comment or ask questions.

339 hours.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Arrgghh!! don't you just hate it when you have finished typing out an update and your browser crashes!
Mark - I used to have this problem a lot.

So, these days, I usually type a long message in Word and copy & paste it across when finished.

That way, if there is any problem with the upload you can copy & paste it again, rather than rewrite.

Great progress as always. :cool:

Where you used foam to brace the fibreglass, I used rope for the same trick on my bonnet.

It was amazing what a difference that made to the strength/removal of flex.

Good luck, Paul. :)

·
Premium Member
14,509 Posts
Where you used foam to brace the fibreglass, I used rope for the same trick on my bonnet.

It was amazing what a difference that made to the strength/removal of flex.

Good luck, Paul. :)
boat builders use paper rope for that, it has a solid wire strand through the middle so it holds shape while the 'glass sets up.
neil.

·
Administrator
9,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #296 ·
That sounds useful stuff Neil.

More sanding last night mostly.

A post was sanded back, but as suspected it needs more filler (difficult to add it properly in a concave area) you can see the 'missing' area.

I should then have moved on to sanding the roof gutters again, but got sidetracked by the door in front of me on the workbench
::)
it's now a lot more door shaped
but still needs more work.

The bootlid then got the repaired areas of the hinges sanded back and the fitting holes re-drilled. Mounted back on the car it's now rock solid, so pleased with that. A bit of filler work and it will all be smooth.

341 hours.

·
Administrator
9,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #297 ·
Sand,sand,sand,sand,sand,sand,sand,sand.....ooh, primer
:D

Door is prepped enough to lay on a coat of primer to see where we are at.

I'm using black primer as it highlights uneven surfaces far better than the grey. Have to say it's looking pretty good.

Roof gutters get the same treatment, roof is looking pretty good now, I think we are almost there
(famous last words......)

344 hours.

·
Administrator
9,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #299 ·
Thanks.

No progress last night as I had my Pop out at our local club meet.

Had some bad news about my Dad today so progress may have some gaps soon as I need to go see him tomorrow while I still can.

I did do more tonight though, working on cars is a great therapy to me in times of trouble.

I sanded back all the fresh primer on the roof with much finer paper so it will have a better sheen on it on the next coat of paint. It seems pretty good now, I found one very small low spot in the roof and the gutters are probably 99% there I think. It will probably need a coat of gloss on them to really be able to tell for sure.

Then I spend a good while sanding the passenger A post before moving on to the bootlid. Bootlid is 50% sanded here but it's going to be a long haul on this panel.

Then it was primer time again. Passenger A post gets a guide coat laid on.

And then the roof was give another coat on each side;

Close up shots show it's looking pretty good.

346.5 hours

281 - 300 of 322 Posts