Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
301 - 320 of 322 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,509 Posts
the roof above those gutters look much better now (y)

·
Registered
474 Posts
Had some bad news about my Dad today so progress may have some gaps soon as I need to go see him tomorrow while I still can.

I did do more tonight though, working on cars is a great therapy to me in times of trouble.
Hi mark sorry to hear of your dads passing, hope you and your family are doing well.
Hi Mark,

Hope you got to see your dad in time.

Take care, Paul.

·
Administrator
9,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #308 ·
A little bit of work yesterday, not much as the Formula One was quite exciting for a change and it was just too hot.

So, lets do something that requires very little physical work. Templates were made and metal cut to suit;

Lot's of tacking with cooling air on them to avoid distortion later & it looked like this;

And after cleaning up it looked like this. Some hammer & dolly work and some filler will have it all smooth and now its sealed from the outside. Just got to do the other side now.

348 hours

·
Administrator
9,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #310 ·
Finally it has cooled down enought to try to enter the garage. 29 degrees even at 9pm. With the extractor on full & a fan running I finished welding the side vents up. Temps down to a chilly (?)
;)
23 degrees by 11pm.

With the vents ground back and sanded I moved on to blocking the roof back down. Putting a heavy dose of panel wipe over it with a cloth gave a gloss finish for a few seconds and it all looks pretty well there. A few little pinholes and a couple of low spots had filler applied, as did a very thin strip on the passenger side that may have a slight flat - I'm not entirely sure - so it's got a tiny skim over it just to be 100% right.

The welded up vents get the first coat of filler on them;

and the passenger A post gets another skim to address the low spots still left.

351 hours

·
Administrator
9,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #311 ·
Last night was sanding and filling again - with a big fan blowing on me. Plus side is it blew the filler dust out of the way nicely.

Roof is now flatted back on all the little skims - I'm calling that finished unless a gloss coat says any different.

Aposts were sanded back and another coat of filler applied. This also got sanded back as in this heat the filler goes off in about 10 mins so sanding can be done 15 minutes after application. Passenger side is shaping up well.

Driver side is coming along but I worked on the passenger side mostly.

Bootlid edges got any excess filler from the A post vents.

353.5 hours

·
Administrator
9,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #313 ·
Thanks Geoff,
A bit cooler today, but only just.

Sand,sand,sand,sand,sand.......

Fill,fill,fill,fill,fill,

sand,sand,sand,sand,sand,sand.......

Bootlid had a fair bit of work put into it, and another skim of filler applied with a big steel rule to get it in about the right curvature.

The bonnet went back on and I started on the filler work on it. Sanded a load back and then sorted the low spots and applied another skim. This got knocked back and a third skim is applied here.

While the filler was curing I stripped the diff down a bit more, removing the brake calipers & discs together with the lower wishbone mounts. I can just about lift the diff to move it now, but it's still bloody heavy.

It can now be cleaned properly for painting. I've primed s bit of it where it was fully clean already.

357 hours

·
Administrator
9,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #314 ·
Took the Pop over to the Aylesbury tuck meet for breakfast today with a couple of other pops. A good morning out and good to catch up with some old friends.

Phil came over this afternoon - he's not seen the car for about 3 weeks so was very happy to see the progress since his last visit. I tasked him with sanding down the inner edges of the passenger door and removing all of any rust he could find. He then went on to strip out all of the original sound deadening. As we packed up I painted a layer of Hydrate 80 on all of the rusty inner areas.

A close up of the inner door edge all sanded clean;

and the inner door - plenty of cleaning up to do on it.

While Phil was doing that I continued on the bonnet, filler is getting there but I stopped on that to weld up a couple of cracks in the front edge of the drivers side bonnet.
While the welder was out I closed up the holes left between the a post repairs and the floor, another job ticked off the list.

Another job ticked of was making the inner door panel fixing tabs, fortunately when I made them for my car I had kept a couple back as templates with a note on the drill size needed for the clip fixing. Tabs made up here;

and welded to the door edges;

362 hours

·
Administrator
9,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #315 ·
Tonight I worked on the inside of the passenger door. After an hour of cleaning it now looks a lot tidier;

It then got the 3 tabs welded to it for the interior panel before the inside got treated with hydrate 80.

Then I moved on the the bootlid, more sanding - this is a challenging panel. It's just so rippled I'm struggling to get any proper level on it. I probably should have got Phil to just buy a new bootlid with the rear wings, but never mind - too far into it now to stop. I'll get there in the end.

Last job for the night was a bit more filler in the low spots of the bonnet ready for sanding tomorrow.

364 hours.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Mark, in the immortal words of 'Allo 'Allo, I will say zis only once.

Thanks for the build thread and keeping it up to date. I really enjoy your attention to detail and having owned two rodded Pop's and a bog standard model I can relate to how out of shape they can be.

·
Administrator
9,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #317 ·
Mark, in the immortal words of 'Allo 'Allo, I will say zis only once.

Thanks for the build thread and keeping it up to date. I really enjoy your attention to detail and having owned two rodded Pop's and a bog standard model I can relate to how out of shape they can be.
Thanks for the feedback Des, much appreciated.

·
Administrator
9,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #318 ·
We have been having difficulty sourcing the paint that Phil would like as it's a modern colour and a water based one. I finally found someone who could mix it in 2K HS acrylic. I ordered 1 litre to see how we liked it and it arrived 24 hours later, so good service.

I had (of course) to do a quick sprayout when I got home to see how it looked.............and it looks SEXY!!!!

Ho yes! much shinynosity
:)
I did the roof sides to see if they really are as smooth as I hoped. and 99% they are, so much happiness there, just a couple of tiny areas to be addressed.

I shot a little over the top of the nose for a colour check.

And the rear lamp housing got a coat as that was about ready for topcoat anyway.

There was a bit left in the gun, so as the inner door was cleaned up last night I used up the last of it on the red original primed areas. I was just going to shoot the inners over with epoxy primer.......but who am I kidding,
::)
they will get fully glossed inside as well for protection
:D
looks a bit better than last night
:)

364.5 hours.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,198 Posts
Typical :( I painted my yet to see the road T grey over 20 years ago now it's all the rage LOL

301 - 320 of 322 Posts