Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
321 - 340 of 375 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,679 Posts
Typical :( I painted my yet to see the road T grey over 20 years ago now it's all the rage LOL
yep, all the major car makers do a 'battleship grey' these days mate. it's the new black.
neil.

·
Administrator
9,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #322 ·
It's certainly very popular ;) It's actually a fair bit darker than those photos show, it looks really smart.

More sanding & filling on the bootlid. I know it looks the same as before but I promise its a bit more boot shaped now! I think I'm starting to get there with it as its beginning to feel reasonably smooth and the undulations in it are starting to dissappear.

Another photo of the roof paint, it's only a quick sprayout but I'm loving the colour and it's a major mojo boost to see it every time I look at the car. The paint has gone on exceptionally well for a quick coat, it sprays really nicely.

366.5 hours.

·
Administrator
9,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #323 ·
After dinner I did more on Phils car. He had come over a bit earlier to see the new paint, and was absolutely delighted with it. I think he was as excited as I was when I saw it last night.

Sanded the new filler back on the bootlid and decided that primer would be a good idea to see where we are with it.

When it's dry tomorrow I'll inspect it to see how good (or bad) it is.

One half of the bonnet top was also ready for it's first coat of primer as well, I'm sure it will need more filler work but it's good to get it sealed too.

368 hours.

·
Administrator
9,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #326 ·
As said above I've lost focus of late with everything else going on, so had to force myself back into the garage tonight.

Looking at the bootlid now it has some primer on and it 'looks' ok. A bit of block sanding revealed a lot of minor areas that needed a little smear of filler. Running a curved steel rule over it showed a hollow area in the bottom of the lid all the way across.

This got another lot of filler in it and at the same time I did a little final filler work on the edge of the passenger door.

The bonnet also got some more attention. I rubbed down the passenger side top filler and re-filled the areas that needed it, adding a little more filler on the drivers side where sanding had revealed some small areas that required attention.

I had ordered some new washer jets for Phil. These got marked up, drilled and fitted.

Close up;

370 hours.

·
Administrator
9,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #327 ·
....................aaaaanndd Blackpop is back in the room....
:D

Well, a bit of a break for various reasons, notably the NSRA Supernationals for 4 days and my Dad's funeral.

Back in the garage tonight and I got back to sanding.....again.

Bootlid is good enough for another coat of primer and maybe a quick coat of gloss to see if it is indeed good enough.

Bonnet is flatter on both tops and the passenger door recess and the passenger door edges are getting closer.

371.75 hours

·
Administrator
9,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #328 ·
More sanding tonight and then some primer went on.

Bonnet tops are both in primer now, probably need a little more filler work to get perfect but they are getting close.

Booltlid is primed again to see how its looking, if it's good it may get a light coat of gloss for a proper check.

Passenger A post primed to see where any more filler work is needed.

And the passenger door gets primed on and in the inside.

374 hours.

·
Premium Member
14,679 Posts
you're fast running out of bodywork there mate.

·
Administrator
9,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #333 ·
Yep, it's getting there.

When I got home from work tonight I popped the bonnet back together & bolted it in. Good news is that an area that I thought I would have to cut off and re-weld (probably) does not need to be done
:)
The Blue line in the photo was the area that may have needed doing.

We need to fit the bonnet welting to really check the fit before I can say its all good. I did find another crack to weld up that I'd missed though.

Bootlid is shaping up well, a blind feel across it feels good left to right but I might still have a couple of low lines when feeling it up and down. I think a coat of gloss this weekend will tell me where it may need any more work.

And another photo of the door - just cos I think it looks good
:)

374.5 hours

·
Administrator
9,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #335 ·
Phil came over again yesterday and we spent some time discussing colours for the interior and trying some samples. I think Phil is now happy with the colours scheme we worked out.
We also tried some samples of boot seals, and Phil will order one that we think could work well as long as it fits.

After that we spent a very long time trying to get the bonnet lined up, this was quite a challenge and resulted in a bit of surgery to the A post on the drivers side. I had to cut a slit in the A post so we could knock the metal back to allow room.

After a couple of hours of modifications to the body fittings and adjustments we got it fairly close, but the main issue is the drivers side bonnet panel is just not really wide enough to fit the car. Phil has a spare bonnet so we will try the spare one to see if it fits better.

Phil then sanded the drivers door edges and stripped out the sound deadening inside the door while I made up some new metal for the passenger side sill and generally chopped it around until it mostly fitted.

380 hours.

·
Administrator
9,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #336 ·
Moving on to today and I spent another few hours fettling the bonnet. I welded up the slit in the A post and also welded up some splits in the drivers side bonnet. I deleted the bolt holes in the front corners of the bonnet where the rubber corner protectors bolt in as we don't believe they are required as there is plenty of room in that area.

After a LOT of fiddling with bolt holes and centre strip positioning I have got the bonnet to fit reasonably well. It's not perfect but then they never were when they were built so it will have to suffice. Ideally the bonnet should be cut in half and widened/wedged but that is beyond my skill set. If it were fibreglass it would be easy.

Gap is now sufficient - you can see where it tightens up at the corner compared to the gap along the rear.

Slit area is now welded up;

Gaps are 'enough' more would be better but they are big enough that paint wont get damaged in use.

With that done I started stripping the drivers door insides, a messy job as its basically scraping and washing down with Acetone. The extractor fan is a must when doing jobs like these, with that running at about 60% I don't even smell the Acetone fumes. It's about 80% done here, I'll finish it tomorrow. I did find a split that needs welding on the inner frame and the bottom edge of the door is swollen with rust in the door skin, so some treatment work will be required there.

385 hours.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hi Mark, Thanks for taking the time to post all of this. Great job! Can I ask what paint setup do you have i.e. Extract / Supply /Fans / Filters to garage, mask (air fed?) etc.
I'm about half way through prepping my car for paint. It's bigger and lot more wavy than that pop!!
Paul

·
Premium Member
3,492 Posts
Mark, I know Didlysquat about spraying which make me curious as to why you taped over the inside middle portion of the door when you sprayed it.

·
Administrator
9,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #340 ·
Brading, that was because I already had some topcoat on those bits so it was pointless to cover them with primer again as its only the door inside.

Enfo.
I do have an air fed mask system but for smaller stuff I use a 3M 06941 mask combined with the extractor. The extractor shifts 3490 (m3/h) so works well. I only filter the incoming air if Im doing big areas of topcoat - but then I've only painted my own car with 2K before in a different garage with a similar setup.

It's not filtered over the fan but it exits at the end of a long garden away from anyone else, and painting only takes a couple of minutes so not too much of an issue as I dont do it very often.

321 - 340 of 375 Posts