Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
361 - 375 of 375 Posts

·
Administrator
Joined
·
9,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #361 ·
nothing much to show photographically for tonights progress, Phil came over to do a bit now his hangover is better
:D
so I left him to scrub the diff & rear calipers.

Diff is now clean & ready for a good wire brushing and some epoxy primer.



I gave Phil some homework to do and a drawing for the front towhook mounting so he can get a friend of ours to make that for us. Meanwhile I sanded some filler off the car and then added a bit back on again.

405 hours.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
9,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #362 ·
No photos from last night as nothing photo worthy to see.

Sanded down the filler and blocked back the dash and the rear 3/4 panels (as they were mostly still bare steel). Then went over all the filler work and the rear 3/4 panels in primer.

Bonnet looks to be just about there now, A posts are getting very close so only the lower B posts and (once I've repaired/welded them) the sills left to do on the main body.

Drivers door needs a reasonable amount of work but I have started on that so we are on the downward slope for the metal side of the bodywork .

Progress will have to be put to one side for a bit as I have other things to attend to for the short term in the near future.

407 hours.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
9,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #363 ·
Visible progress tonight
:)


I started on the sills, drilling out the aluminium rivnuts fitted by the previous rodshop and fitting them temporarily with tec screws. With thre rivnut flanges missing they fit tighter to the chassis rails but the front ends of them will need new metal made up. The previous rodshop had repaired them but it was pretty messy and they did not fit very well, so most of it has/will be chopped of and I'll do it again.

Drives side here - all the new bits will be removed as they don't really fit at all.



Passenger side, most of it is chopped off, the curved bit will go as well.









Last job of the night was painting the inside of the drivers door in epoxy primer. I'll spin it over tomorrow and do any corners I've missed.



As always feel free to comment or ask questions.

409 hours.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
9,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #364 ·
First sill was templated up with Kellogs aided design, and transferred to metal.
With some careful filing, bendind & folding it was all tacked together like this;



And fitted on the car it looks a lot better
:)




Just needs welding up and cleaning off to complete the front, the rear will need a little work but mainly just a bit of re-shaping and a bit of re-welding.

Then its the same job on the other side.

411 hours.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
9,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #366 ·
Thanks Chosen One ;)

Last few hours of progress for a while as this is taking a back seat for a few weeks.

Drivers side sill was also templated up with Kelloggs finest cardboard and transferred to steel. Part way through here. I cut most of the original (and repaired) metal off.



all completed here, I welded both sides - strength on the inside and fusing on the outside so I could grind it down without fear of opening holes or having paper thin metal.



The ugly messy welded areas are from the previous rodshop - I left them as they are good metal, just not pretty. The clean smooth stuff on the right is all the new section I added. The messy section fits under the A post so is not seen anyway.



and fitted back on the car;



414 hours.
 

·
Stroker
Joined
·
5,499 Posts
Blooming amazeballs Mark!
If I had my hat on I'd take it off.
Your drive to do the best job possible is a huge credit to ya!!!
Carry on :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
698 Posts
I just wish I was as meticulous with the prep on my prefect, but it’s good enough for me, you don’t half go the extra mile .
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
9,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #371 ·
The last of the sill repairs was completed tonight, and they are now tacked on to the body.
I need to get both doors back on and check/set the alignment wedges before welding properly to make sure the door to sill clearance is correct.

Did a little more filler application before finishing for the night on the last few marked areas thet needed a tiny bit more.

Not much to look at but sills tacked on.....





417 hours.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
9,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #374 ·
Been off grid for a few days at Santa Pod for the Hot Rod Drags.
These are a few photos the people sent to me of my car.







I picked up a nice tin sign for the workshop while I was there as well.



Phil was there in our group and he gave me some of the bits I need to move forward, notably the offset door wedge.

Std door wedge held up to it as a comparison.



Next job was choppity chop chop and cut the lower door mount face off.



I could then add a 2mm packing plate behind the lower hnge which got the door lined up rather nicely.



The lower door hinge will have the front face welded back in later on.



The other part was back from our friend Rob who made a new threaded mount and extended the towing eye for us. I can now make the mounting to fix it the the front of the chassis.



417.5 hours.
 
361 - 375 of 375 Posts
Top