Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
381 - 400 of 427 Posts

·
Administrator
9,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #382 ·
More sanding last night and tonight. Sills are roughly there so it was time to seal them as the weather is now getting damper so I don't want any bare metal on show if possible. My workshop is very dry so rust is not an issue but it's still better to get the metal covered.

It has highlighed many areas that need more work, but I expected that so not a problem.

When sanding curved panels I find it very useful to make templated sanding blocks to match the body shape, this makes it very easy to get the correct shape in the panel.

Sills in primer;

Drivers door top also got done as I had been working on that recently.

432 hours.

·
Administrator
9,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #383 ·
Bit of a curse word today as it rained constantly and I had to repair Mrs Blackpops car as it had an ABS fault - nice & wet under the car tracing the fault
:(
Found it but had to abandon fixing it for a drier day. I really need a nice dry workshop to do this sort of repair.............
:P

Phl came over today so I got him to sand down the insides of the bonnets - he found some very sharp edges on the grill sections - unfortunately they went up under his thumbnail!
:o

They were duly ground back so they are now smooth. A little skim of filler is on here over some areas that were pitted from rust before we treated it.

We also got the towhook bracket tack welded on - I'll finish weld it when the front metalwork comes off again.

While he was doing that I did more filler work on the sills which are getting close to being done now. I did some busywork on various things while the filler was curing and then started on the drivers door.

Phil had to leave earlier than usual but after he left I got the drivers door filled and pretty close to being ready for primer tomorrow.

I also cleaned up his diff and got a bit more primer on it.

437 hours.

·
Administrator
9,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #384 ·
Bit of a short day today as I spent the morning fixing Mrs blackpops car......or so I thought, as when I took it out later the dashboard lit up with faults again
>:(
But on the next 4 trips it was quite happy - I hate intermittant faults. It's a voltage issue to the rear wheel sensor.

Anyway..... I'm showing my age as I fell asleep after lunch
O_o
so it was 4pm before I got out into the garage.

Once there it was the tedious task of sanding the sills again, boring but necessary. I hate fiddly sanding in corners, give me a big panel anyday to do. After a couple of hours I had got them done so it was primer time again - which is the prize for the boring sanding work.

Primer showed that there are still some small bits left to do but we are 95% there on the sills. Rether than the same photos of sills in primer here are a couple of close ups of the detail work. Still a bit more to do to get them perfect.

And the drivers door is now primed.

We are now almost at a turning point in the build as once the inside of the bonnets are primed then that is the entire car in primer.

440 hours.

·
Administrator
9,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #386 ·
Thanks Brading.

No progress last night as I had to do my tax returns ......snore.......

Tonight saw some garage time though.
Bonnets were finish sanded & prepped for paint as was the towhook.

Thats the last bits of the metal bodywork in primer now - a milestone in the build.

Meanwhile the sills get some more detail filler;

442 hours.

·
Premium Member
1,092 Posts
Just caught up with this thread. Have to admit, the patience needed for this sort of work is the reason I've never built or owned a shiny car, even just washing one is too much faff for me!

So well done Mark, it's coming along fine and it's gonna look rather splendid when you've finished.

·
richard rawlplug
8,150 Posts
I'm just trying to imagine the size of the crate of beer phils going to get you...

·
Administrator
9,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #392 ·
No work on the car last night, but I got back on it tonight. Inspecting the paint on the bonnet showed the dents that were smoothed over on the outside were still showing on the inside like this;

and this. Hmmm....that will not do. More filler work then.

The drivers door has had a low spot addressed and I think that is now finished and ready for more primer.

The detail filler on the sills has been blocked back again and some more small areas have been re-done. Hopefully when these are sanded back tomorrow the sills will be done.

Bonnets have now been skimmed over the relevant areas and can be sanded back tomorrow.

While the filler was curing I slit the fibreglass rear wing flanges in a few places and then covered the flange on the car with brown packing tape. The wings are now bolted back on and over the weekend I will glass new/reshaped flanges onto them so they sit nicely against the steel body and are not stressed when bolted up.

444 hours.

·
Administrator
9,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #394 ·
Sorted my car out so went back on to Phils in the afternoon.

sanded the filler back on the sills and then started glassing in the flanges on the rear arches. Good job for my foot as it entailed me sitting on the floor to do this. Not so good job as it was glassing upside down, so about the same amount of resin on thr floor as on the car, lol
:D

After that I went over the sanded filler on the sills, door and bonnet with another coat of primer.

Then it was another job I could do sitting down, fitting the rear lights into the wings. Lots af eyeing up for the best place - also checking mine for reference and they are in.

Toe is now a nice shade of purple
:)

448 hours.

·
Administrator
9,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #399 ·
Phil came around again today - but I had other plans than car for him

My 76 year old neighbours guttering was overflowing, I had offered to help him but I'm not good with ladders and with my foot as well I was originally going to foot the ladder while he went up.

But Phil is happy up a ladder so we did all his gutters for him - he was very grateful and tried to pay Phil, but we refused as we make plenty of noise in the garage so it was the least we could do. Happy neighbour

I then got Phil to clean my gutters too
:D
(turns out parts of them were very blocked even though I had done them all 4 years ago).

As such we had a lot less time on the car than normal.

We needed to move the car nearer the bench end of the garage to give me more room at the far end for painting panels - not so easy as it was on full height axle stands.
Sooooooo........we did a bit of shonky jacking up and put the lowered axle stands into my wheel skates. It now rolls around the garage easily - although very carefully! It is actually very stable like this but I'll still take care around it.

I got Phil to clean the inner panels up in the car for primer while I did fibreglass work on the rear wing flanges, building up the thickness. This will be done over a couple of nights to get them to a good solid flange.

We then spent a while chatting about friends cars and also thinking about the order of painting/finishing the panels and discussing some of the jobs needed for fitting the interior panels.

451 hours.

·
Administrator
9,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #400 ·
Looking for some advice. I am going to buy a new spray gun. What make do you use? Nozzle size, any recommendations.
Thanks Andy
What are you planning on spraying? primer? topcoat?
Primer gun you want a 1.8-2.0 tip and topcoat would want 1.4-1.6 tip. Small touch in guns are 0.8-1.2 tip.

I use a couple of no-name gravity fed guns for all my small stuff, and I have a couple of (old fashioned now) DeVilbiss JGA suction guns for big stuff.

It depends on your budget really, you can get a good finish from a £30 gun if you get the right one but you will get an excellent finish from an expensive DeVilbiss or Sata gun. Either one will result in a show winning finish with good colour sanding and polishing, the more expensive guns have a (usually) better fan pattern and will probably need less flatting.

The DeVilbiss GTI gravity fed guns have a good reputation but are £180-£300 from memory.

381 - 400 of 427 Posts