Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
441 - 460 of 491 Posts

·
Administrator
10,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #441 ·
Neil, We think that as we don't have that sort of budget, but it's suprising how many people do though.
Lets face it, any ground up build from any pro shop inc paint, wiring, interior will cost £100.000 plus.

Hot Rod trimmer will attest that a good leather interior can cost up to £10,000 for that alone.

·
Administrator
10,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #447 ·
I'm not defending the big budgets, but really, building a car is not a cheap thing to do. Even for people like you Neil, Wayne or me who can build thier own cars just the parts alone can rack up some serious bills.
When you look at a top flame job at around £5,000 it's easy to see how a car can get to a six figure sum pretty fast if you are paying someone else professionally.

Anyway, we are getting off topic as it's a build thread.

No photos tonight, but the last of the main fibreglassing is done - hurray!! and I've even got a little bit of resin left in the tin. There is a small bit left to do but it's only building up edges in a couple of places on one flange.

496.5 hours.

·
Premium Member
7,567 Posts
We do lots of engine,box axle,s and not one of those packages has ever been near 25 k.

My point was that people dont seam to shop around for quotes.

you go to a shop charging say 35 an hour with no vat and a shop charging 60 plus vat, youre 20 k fabrication bill turns into 40k.

why would you not shop around for that sort of saving.i cant see youre getting 20 k of better work by going to a more expensive shop .all youre doing. Is paying for overheads.

Or is it no kudos when you power park the ride you never build at youre local car show,next to loads of other rodders who didn't build their cars either.

·
Administrator
10,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #452 ·
Tonight saw the engine bay earth stud (10mm) tacked in, I'll weld it properly when the front panels come off as there will be better access. The rear crossmember also got a 10mm stud fully welded on and re-primed.

I spent a while giving the workshop a bit of a clean down of dust - cleaning off all of the joists and shelving and generally a bit of a tidy up.

Then the car got a bit of masking and the rear inner arches got a proper layer of primer put on.

And the rear arches got primed on the inside face;

Both parts will get coated in stonechip tomorrow.

503 hours.

·
Registered
12,536 Posts
We do lots of engine,box axle,s and not one of those packages has ever been near 25 k.

My point was that people dont seam to shop around for quotes.

you go to a shop charging say 35 an hour with no vat and a shop charging 60 plus vat, youre 20 k fabrication bill turns into 40k.

why would you not shop around for that sort of saving.i cant see youre getting 20 k of better work by going to a more expensive shop .all youre doing. Is paying for overheads.

Or is it no kudos when you power park the ride you never build at youre local car show,next to loads of other rodders who didn't build their cars either.
Perhaps the real problem is the people wanting cars built do not ask the right questions. Maybe they don't have an understanding of basic commerce?. If you have any job done, whether building work, car re-spray, whatever isn't it normal practise to get a quote, several quotes in fact. Unfortunately some business won't do that - they'll perhaps give an initial low estimate to secure the job and then rack things-up later on with 'extras'.

·
Administrator
10,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #455 ·
Not much progress this weekend as I've been down at my Mums clearing all my late Dads stuff out of the lofts.

Got a few hours in this afternoon though. I took the sheet metal off the front and fully welded the earth point and the tow bracket. I cleaned up the towbar bracket ready for primer and prepped a few areas on the body that needed some primer where I had sanded throught to steel again.

The front wings got some flowcoat added where needed as well.

Then I mixed up some primer and painted the areas that needed it, including the front towing bracket;

and a quick coat on the inside of the front wings - this highlights any areas that need blending better or any holes in the glass matting resin. I ran out of paint just before I finishd painting the wings - hence the unpainted bit.

508 hours.

·
Administrator
10,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #456 ·
A bit more done tonight, I added some more flowcoat on the front wings where needed and left it to set.

Then I started on making the new diff spreader bars. The previous rodshop had made a rather rudimentary plate to do this, but it was pretty crudely made and far from precision engineered. It would also be a big dirt trap and as the jacking point is under the diff it would be bent the first time the car was raised.

As these studs prevent the control arm mounts spreading the plate with these holes is completely useless.

So some new bars were made from some 38 x 6mm plate. They are sanded and ready for primer here. The centre of the diff is still exposed for jacking as well. (yes I know the primer on the diff is a mess - it will be cleaned up and done properly soon).

A bit more accurately drilled.

509.5 hours.

·
Administrator
10,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #457 ·
Tedious work tonight, sanding all the old chrome off the diff, inc the chrome bolts and cleaning up some of the diff bracket bolts. The wire lock holes had to be drilled out to remove rust & other crud. I assume Phil knows, but I found out his diff is an LSD which is nice.

After a lot of work & cleaning it now looks a lot more presentable with a coat of epoxy primer on it.

Front wings get more flowcoat and filler on them - they really are the most difficult shape to work on - they are large & love to try to fall off the bench at any opportunity.

512 hours.

·
Administrator
10,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #459 ·
Still preppping the front wings, no photos to show though. They may not look that big but they are large panels to work on, so it's a bit of an endless task.

I did get a bit more done on the diff though.....ooh shiny
:)

and there was a bit of left over paint, so the vice got a makeover as well
:D

515 hours.

·
Administrator
10,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #460 ·
Visible progress tonight
:)

I sanded the new filler smooth then flatted off both front wings and prepped them for paint. I also prepped the bootlid inner face and a few other small items.

Then it was primer time, front wings are now primed so I can inspect tomorrow to see how much more work is needed to get them perfect. (no chance of them being perfect first time, lol).

Bootlid inner face now in primer;

one of the small items was the back part of the bootlid lamp - I keep forgetting to paint this each time I have primer in the gun, finally I remembered!

516.5 hours.

441 - 460 of 491 Posts