Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
461 - 480 of 491 Posts

·
Administrator
10,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #461 ·
Wing inspection tonight & I was pleasantly suprised to see that they were actually pretty good. A few pinholes here & there and a couple of small areas to sort but generally pretty well there.

I don't normally work on it on Friday evenings but the edges needed sealing with some flowcoat on the bolt flange where there were a few holes/open edges, its all the white areas in the photo. I also skimmed the imperfections on the wings and used up the excess smoothing off some of the seams on the inside of the wings.

The lever arm hole delete plates look good I think. These will all be masked up & stonechipped this weekend.

517 hours.

·
Administrator
10,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #462 ·
Some good progress today, after lots of masking up it was stonechip time
:)

Inner front wings are now done;

as are the A posts on the car. I also did behind the rear valence under the boot - no photos of that though.

The fuel tank has also been done.

While those pieces were drying off I sorted out the battery tray fixing. I welded 3 bolts to the boot floor to coincide with the recessed sections of the battery tray ribs.

I had to make a new peice for one corner as the tray had an open area where I needed a bolt.

The tray is nice and solid to the floor now - but the floor is not as solid as I would like. it flexes under the weight of the battery and I think with road vibration it might cause stress fractures. So some form of floor reinforcement will need to be added.

521 hours.

·
Administrator
10,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #463 ·
Only got a few hours on it today as I took my pop to a breakfast meet with my friend Geoff and then washed mine & mrs Blackpops daily cars as they were filhy.

I planned to sand back the front wings and get them into primer but my friend Geoff had a look at the car and had a good idea for reinforcing the battery tray - he thought tying it into the wood panel would work.

As such I did prep the front wings but then got a bit sidetracked on the battery tray. I was not so keen tying it into the wood, so i folded up a steel brace to mount off the wood panel fixing instead. The battery tray needed a bit of cutting & shutting to make it work better but this seems to have fixed the issue.

Its only partly done here, there will be another fixing to the opposite side bolt hole and the plate will be tidied up shape wise as well.

524 hours.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Not wishing to teach my gran how to suck eggs but I would have made a larger triangle plate to run all the way across rear of tray with a triangle hole in middle and a shorter one at front.

·
Administrator
10,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #468 ·
Another productive evening in the garage tonight.
I finished off the battery tray brace and prepped that for paint.

Then I gave the garage a clean out of dust as well as the car. Then it was a matter of laying out and cleaning all the parts that needed painting and degreasing them all. Mixed up a half a litre of primer and got down to painting stuff.

Inside of body is now fully primed on all surfaces.

Inner rear arches are now primed over the stonechip on both sides;

Front inner wings are also primed over the stonechip;

And the front wings are primed again where required.

The battery brace got primed as did the altered parts of the battery tray.

Then I came in and spent a load of Phil's money on new supplies
:D
as I've used up all the paint I bought months ago.

526.5 hours.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Still preppping the front wings, no photos to show though. They may not look that big but they are large panels to work on, so it's a bit of an endless task.

I did get a bit more done on the diff though.....ooh shiny

and there was a bit of left over paint, so the vice got a makeover as well

515 hours.
I hope you have not included any hours to the project build for painting your vice ;)

·
Administrator
10,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #471 ·
only a short stint tonight, primer time again.

A posts are primed over the stonechip;

Front wings primed over the stonechip as well;

and I've made a start on primimg the underside of the car, not a job I'm going to enjoy as access is limited so I'm going to do it in sections to keep it more manageable. Rear section is mostly done (ran out of paint just before I finished)

No, that's not my welding on the rear suspension mounts! - it's not tidy but it's strong and it's lasted the last 40 years without issue so good enough.

And the diff with it's second coat of black on it is looking smart.

529 hours.

·
Administrator
10,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #472 ·
No photos last night.

I spent most of the evening rearranging parts into the top garage to keep them free of overspray. I then screwed about 20 hooks into the rafters in preparation for hanging things like the wings on when I start painting.

Then I did a bit of masking and stonechipped the insides of the sills and the back of the fuel tank.Thats the last of the stonechip completed.

531 Hours

·
Administrator
10,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #473 ·
Mucho excitement at Blackpop Towers today

Phil came over and we set about roping the car up to the roof joists. With the help of the engine hoist we got the back of the car pretty high with the front resting on some high density foam blocks from work.

Phil looked a bit nervous
when it was roped up - he left me to tie the knots

All tied of with some climbing rope I had spare.

Should be a lot easier to paint now.

Time to bring out the big guns
;)

Honestly, I had forgotten just how good these guns are - I don't use them as much as they need more paint than gravity guns but they lay paint on so much better than my cheapo everyday guns. They are old school guns as they are not HVLP but boy they work well. Now Phil has bought me a decent gravity gun I think I'm going to retire my cheap guns.

Rear wing inner surfaces are now in primer, the red tint in the photo is the infre red heat lamp cooking the paint.

And so is the entire bottom of the car

535.75 hours.

·
Administrator
10,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #474 ·
I tried the Green Ti primer filler today, I've not used this before so I thought I'd only mix up a small amount to see how it worked. The answer is not very well, lol. It was so thick it barely came out of the gun. Reading up on it shows it can be thinned with the correct thinners - which I had sitting on the shelf ....DOH!

Anyway..... the dashboard is coated with it and will be rubbed down tomorrow.

I'll have another go with it thinned which should work properly.

Then I got my other big JGA gun out for topcoat. Again I've not used this for years so following on from the primer gun not painting properly (had to quickly strip it during painting) I stripped it and checked all was well before mixing up some gloss.

Then it was time to lay some gloss on the underside of the car. Again, it did not go to plan - the paint was difficult to get out of the gun at first but seemed to work ok after some adjustment but I'm not sure it is painting properly so I'll check it out with some thinners before I paint with it again.

Anyway - it all went on ok regardless;

Certainly looks good on the backplate of the third brake lamp.

539 hours

·
Compulsive chicken choker
6,444 Posts
Mark, what do you do to prepare the stone chip for over-painting if it’s been left for a while? I usually overcoat it within a few hours but wondered what prep it needs if it’s been left for a few weeks before re-painting.

·
Administrator
10,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #476 ·
Most of the stonechip on Phils was done the day before it was painted, but if not then I just go over with panel wipe. I've had no problems with leaving it longer between coverings.
If it were exposed to the elements then it would benefit from going over with Scotchbrite pads.

·
Administrator
10,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #477 ·
Well I'm dissappointed
:o
the new spraygun did not turn me into a professional sprayer
::)

It's a Devilbiss FLG-5, it's not a top of the range gun but the pro's say it paints 90% as good as the Devilbiss GTi Pro which costs almost 4 times as much so they recommend it very highly for people like me who only paint for a hobby.

I started by rubbing the primer filler back on the dashboard, it sands nice and easy and give a very smooth finish, but oh boy does it make a lot of dust!! Lots of sweeping up as I sanded but it still creates a lot of mess.

I mixed up a small amount of paint just to see how the gun performs, I could not get a wide fan like the pro's on the videos but I think I need to thin the paint down a bit. I'm not used to this paint yet so I have not dialled in the best mix for it so far so a bit more experimentation will be needed to get the optimum results from both the paint & the gun.

I painted the dashboard and used the remains of the paint to do one of the rear inner arches on the car.

Dashboard looks pretty good (if you ignore the 4 runs in it
:P
) its got a nice even finish without any orange peel, so with some practice with gun settings and getting the paint mix correct should yield excellent results.

I've been using a bit of rocket in with the paint mix as it's a bit colder now, I'm impressed. The paint is touch dry by the time I've cleaned the gun out (about 15 mins). The Infra red heater helps as well but the inner rear arch was not under the lamp and that was where I tested it.

540.75 hours.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
I have a couple of those guns and the seller told me they consider them as throw away items! .......my JGA's all need rebuilt and getting the bits/someone competent to do it is an issue now.
I don't like Rocket....kills the shine. Try it without for a comparison.

·
Administrator
10,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #480 ·
Hi Ross, nice to hear from you.
I guess it depends on what you do with paint - pro shops might think them throw away, but several pro's do highly rate them for the finish they give. I'd love a GTi Pro but really can't justify £400 plus acc for one for my usage. Compared to my no-name gun that I painted a lot of the panels of my pop with it's a massive improvement.
Compared to my JGA's its a little crude from a machining point of view, but it seems to lay a nice fan of paint. The gloss still looks very good even with rocket, but with the temps coming up I probably wont have any choice as this workshop is difficult to get decent paint temperatures in compared to my old insulated workshop.

461 - 480 of 491 Posts