Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
481 - 491 of 491 Posts

·
Administrator
10,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #485 ·
Not much to show for last nights work, I had sanded back the dashboard ready for a new coat of gloss and had also done a bit more sanding on the inside of the rear wings.

I then put a new coat of epoxy primer on the inside of the rear wings as I was unhappy with the surface previously.

Tonight I prepped a lot of small parts that needed gloss and set everything up to paint. The rear inner wings got the first coat of gloss as well as all the various small parts. Rear wings look like this so far;

And the dashboard looks better but for some reason there are a few small bubbles in the paint in one area, not sure why but it will be getting another couple of coats to finish so I'll address those before that happens.

544.25 hours.

·
Administrator
10,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #487 ·
Bit cold to keep painting tonight, but looked over what I had painted last night. A couple of small runs on a couple of brackets and the dashboard bubbles had turned into some splits in the paint.

Hmmm...never had that before. I'm thinking it might be the rocket and the infra red heat lamp might have been too much and the paint has cured too fast in that area.

Dashboard is now rubbed down with 800 grit wet n dry and the splits have gone, so at least they were only surface splits rather than deep into the primer.

I'll see if I can get another coat on tomorrow - probably use my old gun as I have not really got a handle on the new one yet and I'll not use any rocket in the paint either.

544.75 hours.

·
Administrator
10,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #488 ·
As I've previously mentioned I don't normally work on the car on Fridays but as I did very little last night I made an exception today.

I used my cheapo gun again, it may be cheap but it does spray exceedingly well and I know what settings work well on it. I warmed the garage up for an hour then set about prepping all the panels for paint again.

Rear wings are now finished on the inside and look nice & glossy in a ripply stonechip kind of way
;)

A few small parts were given a second coat, the battery tray brace and fuel tank sender cover shown here;

and the dashboard is looking nice & glossy now
:)

546 hours.

·
Administrator
10,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #489 ·
Phil came over today as I had a job for him
he Scotchbrite'd the entire underside of the car to prep the gloss paint for the second coat, I didn't fancy that job, ha-ha!

I did some research on the new spraygun - I read the instructions
:D
I now know how to set the gun up correctly, so we will see how that works later in this post.

I checked the paint that I had sprayed yesterday, it all looked very nice and Phil loves the colour but it has not completely cured, it's dry but you can leave fingerprints in the paint if you press a finger on it. Even with the heaters on the temps at present are not hot enough for proper curing (I had no rocket in the batch of paint). Only one fix for that - all the panels are in the house next to radiators to get cooked for a couple of days

Luckily Mrs Blackpop is not fazed by this, only asking why we had car parts in the living & dining room. Lesson learned, rocket will be added to all paint from now on until temps get warmer.

After Phil had gone I did a bit of filler work on the inner bootlid edge to smooth it out for the boot seal to fit against.

Then it was primer time, the front inner wings have their final coat of primer applied and should be ready for topcoat soon, one shown here, the other one looks the same, lol.

After I had done that I mixed up a new batch of gloss (with a bit of rocket in it) to paint the inside of the front wings as well as a few small parts. With the gun set as recommended it was completely different. It now works like the pros show in the videos, a nice big fan with good coverage without dumping paint on too thick. I like it

Front wings are now glossed with their first coat on the inside.

One of the small parts was the removable towhook,

551 hours.

·
Administrator
10,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #490 ·
Out for a curry last night and off to Paris this afternoon, but as I had a spare hour or so this morning it seemed a good time to get a bit more paint on. Annoyingly I ran out of paint just before I finished painting the last of the bootstrap brackets, I had 4 to do and only had enough paint for 3.

So, front wings are fully glossed inside now;

And the inner wings are in the first coat of gloss;

Running out of space to put panels now
:P
it will be good when some are finished and Phil can take them home for safe storage.

552.5 hours.

·
Administrator
10,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #491 ·
I've had a nice few days in Paris with Mrs Blackpop and we got back last night.

Sooooo, back on to Phils car this afternoon. I was hoping to get a lot of painting done but I forgot just how much time prep work can take. The filler on the bootlid has been sanded back and the bootlid re-primed over the filled areas.

The rear wings have also been sanded back and the inner wings sides are all masked up (which took ages as its difficult to mask concave areas) and these have also been primed in the first coat. I'll not mention that I put a bit too much thinners in the epoxy primer and that there are several runs in the paint......
:o
:P

Oh well, its only the first coat so it will need sanding anyway
::)

556 hours.

481 - 491 of 491 Posts