501 - 520 of 537 Posts

·
Administrator
10,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #502 ·
sand,sand,sand,sand,sand,sand
:(
I hate grill shell ribs and louvres.

I hoped to get the inner wings in gloss tonight, but they just took too long to prep. Second inner wing is started here,

First one is all done and the rear side masked up, I had to mask each louvre individually under the masking paper;

But I did have time to get the first 2 coats of gloss on the grill shell - nice
;)

575 hours.

·
Administrator
10,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #503 ·
We treated the staff at work today to an Indian take away lunch in liu of a Christmas lunch, so sent them all home afterwards. This meant I also left early so I had some time this afternoon to do more on Phil's car.

The grill shell was flatted down again ready for its next 2 coats of paint and the inner wing prep was completed. Did I mention I hate louvres? they take a lot of masking up
:(
This is under the paper masking.

But then they got covered in paint
:)

Not bad gloss so far;

Grill had 2 more coats added, looks shiny but got a few small runs on it - luckily all but one are on the bolt flange face so wont be seen. Typically there are no runs at all on the inside of the grill
::)
Only one is visible, I'll see how it flats out tomorrow but I might have to give the outside of the grill one more coat if it does not dissappear when sanded.

577 hours.

·
Premium Member
14,803 Posts
mark, you're like a machine. will you be painting christmas day? lol.
neil.

·
Administrator
10,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #507 ·
Paint runs.
We all get them, no one likes them. How to deal with them if you get them? So a quick tutorial for those who may not know.

The offending runs on the front grill were here;

The first job is to slice off the worst of the run. Use a brand new blade only, lay it flat on the paint and carefully shave off the top of the run. You can do this in several small shaves, use the middle of the blade only and you can flex the blade a little if necessary to avoid shaving the surrounding paint.
The reason for shaving the run is that you don't want to be sanding the paint around the run and if you try to just sand it you will end up removing paint around the run and still have a bump in the middle. You can see one of the paint shavings on the lower grill bar in the left of the photo.

Once the paint has been shaved you can then very carefully wet sand it with plenty of water using 1500 grit wet & dry. Wipe the paint often to see how you are doing. Once it looks uniformly flat move on to grade 2500 wet & dry. You should end up witth it looking like this once it is flatted properly.

Then using cutting compound and some hand waffle mops (I currently have Farecla, but 3M is meant to be better) The left mop is harder for the G3 and the dark grey is softer for the G10.

It should end up looking like this.

This took me about 10-15 mins from start to finish. The grill will get properly colour sander and machine polished at a later date.

Moving on from that I started work on one of the front wings. I flatted it off ready for topcoat but discovered a flat spot on it so some filler was mixed up and applied. Using the Infra red lamp the filler was cured in 15 minutes and was then sanded back to lose the flat spot. Sanding the primer did result in several small imperfections over the wing so combined with the new filler as well I decided to lay on a coat of Green Ti high build filler. Mixed with enough thinners this time it went on rather nicely.

The other parts for gloss were the inner front wings, these were also keyed up for new paint and another 2 coats applied on them. These are now finished and can be packed away with the grill shell at Phils house.

Comments or questions welcome.

581 hours.

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
Nice tutorial on paint run fix. What with your daytime job and working all these hours on the Pop do you ever get time to sleep ?.

·
Administrator
10,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #510 ·
Phil came over today to take the grill, front inner wings and gearbox crossmember away for safe keeping in his living room
;)
where he can look at the colour & shine and think Mmmmmm.........
:D

He also helped me block down the rear wings while I blocked the front wing. It does not sound much bit it took us several hours to get them perfectly smooth. Unfortunately one rear wing had sustained a small chip while in storage so that had to be re-filled.

Once Phil had left I could paint two of the wings. I'm getting a handle on the new paint gun now so it's producing good results. Only the first 2 coats so far, 2 more to go.

586 hours.

·
Administrator
10,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #512 ·
Nothing to show for tonights work. Wings were flatted off ready for the next coats and cleaned up. Paint duly mixed up - same amount as yesterday but a little more thinners which was a mistake
O_o

Laid on the first tack coat and 10 mins later went with the gloss coat. I did the front wing but doing the rear wing I ran out of paint
:o
Cue fast scramble to mix up a small extra batch to finish off before the cure times went awry.

All went well and they have come out nice but I'm a little miffed as the finish is not quite as smooth as yesterday although it will all wet sand nicely. I'll keep to the same thinners ratio in future as it seems to give a better gloss as well as lasting a bit longer in the process. Still learning with the new gun.

587.75 hours.

·
Administrator
10,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #513 ·
I've not posted for a couple of days, I was really tired on Tuesday so had a night off. I was hoping to paint the other wings on Wednesday but it took all evening to sand them smooth enough for topcoat and I had broken through the primer in a couple of places, also I had found some minor filler work that needed doing prior to gloss.

As such there was nothing worth updating, but tonight progress has been made. I shot the primer on the areas that needed it when I got home and left it to cure for a couple of hours while I had dinner. Then it was another round of flatting off (there was enough overspray from the spot priming to just dust the surface again which had to be removed) and then the first 2 coats of gloss were laid on.

Tomorrow I will flat those off and get another 2 coats on, then they can cure for Christmas/Boxing day before I go back in the garage again.

591.5 hours

·
Administrator
10,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #514 ·
Last bit of work before Christmas today. Wings were flatted down and another two coats put on.

Did you know you can mix a new batch of paint in under 60 seconds if you have to? I can confirm this is possible (if not a little messy) as I ran out of paint about 4 paint passes from finishing!
:o
B-|

Mega fast mixing saw the last bit painted before the coat had flashed off so it all flowed in nicely - phew!

I did say to Phil a couple of months ago that I though it would be in paint by Christmas, this has not quite happened but with all 4 wings, the nose and the front inner wings and various small parts done I don't think I've done too bad, it ought to be all done by the end of January next year.

Last pre Christmas photo, happy Christmas everyone.

593 hours.

·
Administrator
10,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #515 ·
I could not help myself, there was the beginnings of a run at the base of the rear wing (a result of the last minute extra mix being laid on) so I had to do a quick repair yesterday with the paint razor & a quick flat & polish to make sure it will polish out properly.

It did and it will :)

·
Administrator
10,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #517 ·
After a few days away to see family I'm back on it today.

The house is full of painted parts waiting for Phil to take them away for safe keeping so I have room for painting more stuff.

I flatted back the bonnet ready for primer filler but I broke through to metal in a lot of places so it's back to a good thick coat of epoxy again. I can flat this tomorrow for the primer filler.

595 hours.

·
Administrator
10,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #518 ·
Phil came over today and took the rear wings and one front wing away, so more room at home now.

A good day of progress today, I replaced the last of my flourescent tubes with LED ones (the led replacements are being discontinued so though it wise to buy them while I can) and after that I started back on Phils car.

The bonnets were flattted off and then coated with Green Ti high build primer filler, the bootlid got done as well as I had a decent amount left over after doing the bonnets.

Once they were cured I prepped the fuel tank for paint, I had previously brush painted a lot of it but the black paint is a soft paint when thick so thought I'd finish it by spraying. It was very good temps today at 15 degrees so I added a bit of rocket as well to make sure it cures nice and hard. The diff straps were also done (in background).

The infra red heater doing its stuff;

599 hours.

·
Administrator
10,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #519 ·
3 hours of sanding and cleaning left me with a very sore back (from bending over to sand) but the bonnets were ready for paint.
I painted some other bits at the same time, door wedges;

and the battery hold down clamp;

and the bonnets got the first 2 coats laid down;

Not a bad shine for the base coats - a little orange peely but that's ok as they are only the build up coats.

That's the last update for 2021, happy new year everyone!

602.5 hours.

501 - 520 of 537 Posts