Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
701 - 720 of 752 Posts

·
Administrator
10,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #701 ·
A good day today, took the pop out to a local meet for breakfast and a good chat with friends. Phil came round in the afternoon and we plumbed in the heater with a bit of clever plumbing by Phil.
He then was tasked with doing a little more sanding along the roof behind the gutters and flatting down the bootlid.

I assembled the last U/J's on to the driveshafts and masked up the shocks. As the weather was fantastic I managed to prime & topcoat them all in one day. Other parts that got primed & topcoated were the headlining wires, the bolt heads for the heater & the ends of the U/Js in the driveshafts.

The last part of the day was the switch panel aluminium surround, all went well with the primer but I overdid the topcoat and it had a couple of runs
:(
it will need sanding down and doing again tomorrow. That will teach me to try to rush things.

No photos today, but I'll post some tomorrow.

817 hours.

·
Administrator
10,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #702 ·
As promised photos of yesterdays work. The rear shocks came out well - they look a lot better than before;

and after;

Headlining wires painted;

and driveshafts assembled & UJ's painted.

Today was another good day, Phil brought the bootlid back over and sanded it back ready for polishing while I finished mopping the lower section of the bulkhead so the heater fittings could go back on permanently. Woo some bits are going back on for keeps!

As Phil had the bootlid ready for polishing I have mopped it completely and the bootlock and handle are refitted. The lamp is just loosely attached for looks as this needs some work for the numberplate lamp which is a future job. Very happy with the level of shine on it.

Another small job ticked off the list was the final coats of red on the rear lamps, the sides are nice and red now as they did not get as much coverage when they were flat on a panel for painting.

The last job of the day was painting the master cylinder and the accellerator pedal. I have reassembled the pedal box and the accelerator pedal was heated to cherry red to get the pedal pad nice an flat again and to put a twist in the pedal bar so it sits nice and flat in the same plane as the brake & clutch pedal. Hopefully these will go into black gloss tomorrow.

822 hours.

·
Administrator
10,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #705 ·
Tonight Phil carried on sanding the window garnishes ready for polishing, only one left to do now. He is going to spend the rest of the week (and then some) sanding the wings, bonnet & nose at his house as they are currently stored there so it makes far more sense to avoid travelling time and any risk of damage in transit.

I continued with painting the accellerator pedal and the master cylinder, 20 mins baking under the infra red lamp left them hardened off enough so I could unmask by the end of the evening.

The rest of the time was dissasembling the handbrake mechanisms to make sure the adjusters were not seized (they were not) but we did find a broken retainer that will need replacing.

Only 23 parts per handbrake mechanism, really Jaguar, I'm sure you could have squeezed a few more parts in if you tried a bit harder! 7/10 - poor effort
:P

They might need a bit more painting before they go back together.........

824.5 hours

·
Registered
984 Posts
Now if I remember correctly there is a split pin that sits in the slot of the adjusting screw , after initial setting leave it so its easy to take out for when the self adjuster doesn't work------------

·
Administrator
10,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #708 ·
Tonight was mostly research on the rear axle. I've never built a Jag back end before so I need to find out all the specs to set it up correctly.

I've got most of them now but although I ordered a few shims it would appear I need to order a lot more. I installed the bearing outer races in one of the hubs and assembled it dry with the only small 0.003" shim I have that fits between the spacer tubes. This resulted in zero endfloat so I'll need to order a small selection of them to get some endfloat to work backwards from. Aparrently I need 0.002" preload (or crush) on the bearings to set them up properly.

At least it lets me play with my engineering tools, I don't have the need to use them much now.

Pedal assembly was also put back together and fitted back on the car, another bit permanently refitted.

With some 3M anti slip tape on the accellerator pedal cushion, the other pedals need the new rubbers fitted still.

826.5 hours.

·
Administrator
10,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #709 ·
Just had a good chat with Mike Crook - a good friend who has a full workshop manual, loads of spare shims and some dummy assembly shafts that we can borrow. He offered some good advice on a lot of areas so we will meet up with him at the weekend and pick up all of the parts and tools to do the job
:)
He even has a wiring tool to lockwire all of the bolts

I'll order the handbrake part we need and a few extra shims as a failsafe from David Manners so we should be good to go for full assembly next week.

I'll assemble some of the fittings to measure the shim requirements tonight as advised by Mike, but otherwise I have some new different jobs to with some parts supplied by my favourite electrical supplier - Antares who have donated some more parts to me.

·
Administrator
10,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #710 ·
As mentioned earlier, goodies donated by Antares earlier today, battery cable terminals, battery terminals and 10 feet of 50mm core super flexi earth lead.

Battery earth lead made up with sheathing & bulkhead gland ready to go back for the terminal to be crimped on and adhesive heat shrunk sealed. (fixed with masking tape for correct placement at moment).

I followed Mike's advice for the fulcrum arm diff fixings and I need an extra .007 shim as we had .006 gap on one side (.005 shim needed) and .012 on the other side so a .005 & a .007 will be required.

After doing those jobs I started on the 3rd brake/tail lamp housing. As we are using a high output red LED lamp we will need a white light for the number plate. I had filled in the big window in the housing with steel so it will need a new small window making in it. The housing will be painted silver inside later on - the outer grey is only a light sealer coat at present and will be painted properly once all the work is done.

So... how do we gat a white lamp in there? You will see in the photo above a festoon led bulb, the end caps were removed and an aluminium bracket made up for fitting/shielding the red light. The festoon bulb wiring will have a dedicated hole made for passing through the lamp housing later.

The other side of the bulb in the bracket.

And it fits inside the housing like this.

All I need to do now is cut a matching window in the outer housing and bond a thin peice of glass over the hole. The ally bracket might need adjusting slightly to allow for the glass between the two parts.

828.5 hours.

·
Administrator
10,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #712 ·
Thanks Steve.

A day today of no sense of real progress but probably good progress made.

First job was to fit the master cylinder. Unfortunately this required the pedal assembly to come out again to be able to fit the upper bolt in. It then needed the brake pedal to be removed to get access for a spanner on the bolt. Hmmmm... a 2 minute job took half an hour.....Still - its in hopefully for keeps now, so another item off the list.

Phil was flatting down the door bakelite trims and then moved on to the drivers door. While he was doing this I drilled & tapped the side of the tunnel frame for fitting the battery positive lead. All now fully fitted from the battery up to the front bulkhead.

Once that was done it was time for surgery on the brake lamp housing, some careful cutting & drilling saw it done - some sanding and proper painting fully will have it nice and glossy. I need to find a bit of thin glass to bond over the hole to weatherproof it.

The A pillars are now polished so the door switches could be fitted properly.

While I was there I polished the top of the sills as the sanded look was starting to irritate me

As a little reward for Phil I polished the front corner of the door - there are still some sanding marks in the paint on that part though so Phil will be flatting that section again tomorrow.

833.5 hours.

·
Administrator
10,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #713 ·
I took my Pop to the Aylesbury meet this morning - there were a good bunch of very nice Pops there amongst all of the other cars, it was a good morning out meeting up with friends and the weather was perfect. I left my phone at work otherwise I would have taken some photos.

In the afternoon Phil came over and with the tools that we have been lent by our friend Mike I started on the rear axle assembly. The wishbone mounts are now shimmed properly and bolted up tight. The bolts and a few small areas have been touched in with primer again and once topcoated the bolts will be wired together.

I made a start on shimming the bearings in the hub carriers, one side is done but I need more shims for the other side - these should arrive tomorrow so with luck I can sort those tomorrow and get on with the rest of the reassembly.

Some other parts of the axle (washers) were primed with a few small parts of the car that needed doing, one of which was the exposed threads on the pedal assembly where it exits the bulkhead. These will be glossed tomorrow.

Battery cables are now terminated.

Phil had finished sanding the door so I have now mopped it to the first first stage polish, looks pretty good so we are happy with that. It will get mopped to a high shine later when we start to reassemble the car.

In the meanime while I was polishing the door Phil was trying to use up all of his sound deadening sheets
;)
and has covered most of the inside of the car with it. I had to hold him back from covering the seats as well
:D
:D

The second last job of the day was fitting the rear window trim - I suspected it did not fit very well and I was correct - none of the lower screws are anywhere near the metal of the car and exit into fresh air. Some small metal tabs will need to be added to the window frame to provide something for the screws to go into.

The last job was templating the rear panel between the car & the boot, I'll try to cut a new panel at work tomorrow if I have time which can then be test fitted at home and tweaked where needed before I machine the speaker holes in it.

839 hours.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hello there. You're doing a mega job but for us laymen would you be able to do a step by step guide to mopping. Nothing fancy just a do's and don'ts with what you use and how. Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
Just caught up with about a dozen pages of your really impressive work Mark, it's all looking superb.

I just pressed the golden buzzer, go straight to the top of the class (y)

·
Administrator
10,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #717 ·
Thanks Bernard!

Tonight was a bit frustrating as I hoped to get a bit further that I have.
It all started well with the new rear panel I cut at work almost fitting perfectly first time. Some minor trimming and sanding the edges saw it in place and I then drilled the fixings where it bolts to the parcel shelf. I will install rivnuts tomorrow when I borrow the tool from work.

Then it was back on the rear axle. I had the delivery of the shims today so armed with those I got the other bearing carrier lower bearings shimmed correctly. Once that was done I greased all of the bearings up and also the felt washers and installed all of the relevant parts for assembly.

Where it got a bit frustrating was when I realised that I cannot assemble the bearing carrier to the lower wishbone until its all fitted to the car. Also the powder coating had to be carefully filed off the inside of the bolt holes as they had not masked all of them off. The same went for the greas nipples, I had to run a tap through the holes before twiddling the nipples for some time to get them in.

So it looks like the next job will be getting the calipers reassembled & fitted to the diff with the handbrake parts and getting that back under the car. The gearbox crossmember will need to be refitted so the radius arms can fit to the lower wishbones as the bolt for those has to be installed before the hub carriers go back on.

841 hours.

·
Administrator
10,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #718 ·
Another frustrating evening.

I started fitting the wishbone inner bearings - these are the ones given to us recently that have only been used for about 200 miles. First pair went in fine, second pair and the sleeve was binding in the bearing. Pressed them out again and inspected them carefully...........oh dear
:(

When they were removed by the previous owner they must have been punched out with a drift rather than pressed out, the sides of the casing are damaged & split on 3 of them. I carefully inspected all of them and the other 5 are fine.

Another shipment from David Manners is now in order.

I also bloody hate powder coating. So called professional job and it's all flaking off with no adhesion.

People ask me why I bother painting parts - well thats why. Paint may chip easier but it does not fall off in sheets. Water will creep under that and rust fron the inside. I'll have to grind it back and paint that section now.

The rest of the evening was cleaning parts for reassembly and reaming out shaft holes of debris so the cleaned up shafts fit smoothly.

843 hours.

701 - 720 of 752 Posts