Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

61 - 80 of 95 Posts

·
Administrator
9,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
This post brings us up to date in real time so updates will be slower from now on.

Hmmm....finger is lovely & black now, but it mostly no longer hurts - still quite swollen though.

I put a shout out for a new bootlid lamp on facebook, and it turned out a friend 3 streets away had one - result.
Picked it up but unfortunately it's in poor shape so may not be usable. It's currently sitting in a phosphoric acid bath so I'll see what it looks like in a day or so.

not much to show for todays progress as I was doing the rest of the boot gutter repairs. I was half way through welding in the new metal when I thought it was not good enough as the lip was too small. So it all had to come out again - which was a bit of a chore - proves my welds are good though!

Cut and folded/stretched a new peice of metal - with the right size fold on it! and welded it all in. Coated with Hydrate 80 so it will be ready for primer soon.

Then I welded in the new metal by the fuel tank outlet and fitted the rivnuts for the cover plate, all fitted here.

91.5 hours.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Very tidy, wish my metal bashing was as good as yours. Be careful with that nail, did that on a Vauxhall VX490 taking out spark plug when socket slipped. Theres a lovely sticking up plate in inner wing and hit bed of nail, went septic under nail when bed lifted and the doc had to remove it . Took ages to grow back right .

·
Administrator
9,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Thanks Budetta,

No photos of todays work as nothing very photo worthy to show, Phil came over to strip more paint off the bulkhead & chassis, and our friend Denis (who donated the boot lamp) came round for a garage visit - covid safe as we had the windows open & the extractor running - so a bit of chatting ensued which meant a fair bit less work than normal was achieved.

Denis helped me out with me welding up some of the holes in the boot floor and I made some floor stiffeners from some 19mm steel angle. I got these tacked in and we then tried the tank in - but unfortunately it fouled one of the stiffeners, so that had to come back out again. A Mk II version will get made tomorrow to see if it fits.

Phil will come over on Monday for another session, hopefully I might have a bit of primer on some areas by then.

98 hours.

·
Administrator
9,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Next update for you :)

Visible progress today.

The lamp came out of the acid bath, but it's not good news. The lampholder springs no longer work and the backplate is very corroded. I think it may be beyond saving. The cover housing is badly corroded but is probably saveable.

I finished off the boot floor stiffeners, welding upside down with 3mm metal to less than 1mm floor was not the most fun job, but the new welded made it mostly easy.

I then looked at the grill shell again, I had breifly tried it back on the car the other day which revealed it was a bit bent at the lower edges as well as having a kink in it on both sides. I managed to dress out almost all of the kinks and straighten out the sides so then it got stripped of paint. Needs the grill bars to be hand sanded as well as some of the corners.

And then some fun stuff happened :) boot floor gets a coat of epoxy primer;

As do the door jamb switch recesses;

I did the boot hump and bootlid gutter, as well as the window frame, this is so I can get the seam sealer applied to the body joint and also around the boot gutter repairs. I also did a small section of the lower valence where it's dented so filler can be applied.

At the front the bulkhead is now in primer, as is the window frame and a small section of roof at the front - again there are 2 places filler is required in that part of the roof where the original wiper was mounted and where I welded up the aerial hole. The chassis also got a bit of coverage.

103.5 hours

·
Registered
358 Posts
Coated with Hydrate 80 so it will be ready for primer soon.

91.5 hours.
So Hydrate 80 is the blue stuff ? what is the brown stuff visible on the boot floor please ?

Turns out my vice jaws are only 90mm so I assume the 150mm magnets won't hold the pieces in the jaws ?
I cannot find guidance for suitable vice sizes on the Axminster site.

Paul

·
Administrator
9,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Another good day on the car today.

Had a chat with Pop Parts Plus and we scored a good backplate for the boot lamp for not too much money, so I can make one good one out of all the bits.

Phil came over again to help out, and his brother Andy popped over (in his Pop - sorry Andy, forgot to take a photo of yours) to check the car out and also to see Phil as it's been a while since they have seen each other. We looked at the seats in Andy's Pop, they are Mazda MX5 series 1/2 (not the tombstone ones) and Phil is quite interested in a pair of these - anyone know of a good condition pair in black?

So....progress....I tasked Phil to strip the paint of the rear inner arches, he had made a good start on the first one but he had to go back home for a bit to see his family. He came back later so I had completed both arches by the time he had returned.

You can see the repairs carried out by the rodshop before it came to me, he had replaced the bottom of both wheel arches. Again, covered in the bl00dy awful rubbery 5hit that we had to strip back off again.

Only had to cut out a couple of extra patches - not the tidiest of repairs but braze once again is just about everywhere! I'm wondering if the original builder in the 70's had dipped the car in it! The expected rust was all repaired in the 70's by brazed on patches, these have lasted very well except for the 2 areas mentioned.

I then welded up a few more drill/screw holes we found in the rear arches while Phil wire brushed all the loose paint off the underside of the car, not a job I fancied ;)

It still needs a bit more cleaning back and the chassis rails need doing before we can paint/stonechip the lot.

Phil then stripped one of the front inner wings back while I templated the footwell for some new metal to be added this week.

109.5 hours.

·
Administrator
9,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
So Hydrate 80 is the blue stuff ? what is the brown stuff visible on the boot floor please ?

Turns out my vice jaws are only 90mm so I assume the 150mm magnets won't hold the pieces in the jaws ?
I cannot find guidance for suitable vice sizes on the Axminster site.

Paul
Paul, hydrate 80 is a milky blue when it goes on, it dries brown on good/slightly rusty metal and black on very rusty metal.
Get the 100mm wide folder jaws, they will fit your vice fine. 4 inch jaws

·
Administrator
9,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Wayne, we are only stripping off the rubbery shit, the metal repairs he did are fine (as you can see in the photos) but he did not prime or prep the repairs afterwards, just sprayed the rubber crap on them (which although a complete bastard to remove) has not stuck to the metal very well.

The patches I did were above the repairs that the rodshop did, I don't think he saw the rot there as he did not strip the arches like we have.
You know me, if it aint perfect it gets done again, lol.

·
Administrator
9,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Not much to show for tonights work, last night I coated the inner wings with Hydrate 80 which has now cured. I've sourced some stonchip cartridges that I like so should pick those up tomorrow.

Tonight I've been sorting the upper fixings for the dashboard. Phil dropped the new window rubber around last night so I fitted that to see where the upper dash rail would sit. This is so we can see where all the fixings will go in the new steel section the rodshop fitted.

Unfortunately the new section should have been a bit deeper, it also needed a lot more profiling to fit the dashboard so some hammer & dolly work later it was a far better fit. I had to make up some new steel tabs with rivnuts in them and weld them on to the new section so the screws would pick up on metal.

With so much of the original dash missing the lower screen panel is now quite flexible, I'll need to add a reinforcing strip somehow that will still clear the dashboard clocks. However, with the dash screwed in properly it's all pretty solid.

112 hours.

·
Administrator
9,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Tonight I have been mostly welding without a sparkly stick :D

Instead I was using this stuff;

So after a lot of prepping of surfaces - which were tricky behind the roof braces - and wiping down with Acetone as recommended bits of metal got stuck together.

Roof repairs passenger side;

And drivers side. Both sides had metal wedges pushed in under the inner braces to hold it while it cures (24-48 hours depending on temps) as well as the clamps.
I did do a couple of small bits around the roof gutter as well but I need to shape some metal properly for those repairs.

I bonded this bit in the floor as it's double skinned here, the outer is new metal by the previous rodshop but there were a couple of holes through to the engine bay, Not worth welding as it's all plenty strong enough, but this makes it all airtight, the holes were small but it was neater to do a big plate.

114 hours.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Very interesting, so what’s the make and product, is it only slow cure, I.e. no rapid available, have you also done a test piece for a destruction test ?, oh what’s the approx cost .

I had to use one of the 3m polymer adhesive glues to repair the Supra under-tray that they wanted £3000 for, it worked really well, but you had to prime it with a bonding agent, I assume this didn’t need any agent.

Great to hear about new stuff. Thanks

·
Administrator
9,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
We sourced a new bootlamp backplate from Pop Parts Plus which arrived at work today, so had to go straight out to garage when I got home to clean it up.

After some sanding and chasing of threads it looks good.

So that meant I had to clean up the cover plate from the other lamp as well
;)
It's not bad but there is a small hole in the top that will need fixing. You can just see it in the middle by the little bump at the bottom.

We want to fill in that big hole in the bottom as it's not required for how we will use it now, I was going to weld it up but it's really thin metal and would be quite tricky. So instead the new epoxy glue will be used instead. I made a new curved section of steel to fit inside and this will be bonded in as shown.

I might fill this or maybe leave it with the slight recess as a feature as it's underneath the lamp. It will have a tiny letterbox hole in it eventually for the number plate lamp, it needs closing off as we will be fitting a superbright red LED stop/tail lamp in it so we don't want a red number plate light.

I had to assemble it to see how it looks, not too bad at all. It will need a little skim of filler over it to lose the corrosion pitting.

114.5 hours

·
Administrator
9,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Well nothing very photo worthy today as work did not go entirely to plan.
Phil came over again and we spent the first hour going over some options for things and cleaning the garage of grinding dust.

We had just started work on the car when Tommy - another friend of Phils came over to give us some seats for the car. He had a good look over it and we ended up chatting for a while - he owns a Green Maserati powered Pop as well :)

As such it was fairly late in the day before we got going, Phil carried on stripping the underbody & chassis while I bolted on the rear wing on the drivers side to assess the amount of work required to get it to fit right. It turns out it's going to be a fairly major job!

I then started grinding off the cage nuts and cleaning up all the bolt holes in the wing flanges. I had to add a couple of new patches of metal on the passenger side where rot had set in, and then I started welding in the new captive nuts for the wings.

119 hours

61 - 80 of 95 Posts