Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

121 - 140 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
That's a few years work for many of us. Looks like you had a clear plan of what needed sorting before you started, but it's all being done really well. Sorting out a lot of those 'it just needs a little bit finishing there' jobs. Will make a big difference to the finished car.
Seeing continued progress on other cars gives me some motivation to get on with mine.

·
Administrator
9,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
That's a few years work for many of us. Looks like you had a clear plan of what needed sorting before you started.
Errr..no! I knew I'd be taking it back to bare metal but apart from that it's all done on the fly, lol. I really expected to find more rust to fix - the previous rodshop had sorted the bad stuff Phil knew about, & although I've found a bit more it's far better than I could have dreamed of.
I try to do 2+ hours a night 4 days a week and roughly 5 hours each on Sat & Sun.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Mark, it may be more hassle for him but I would ask Wayne if he could leave those shock mount tubes as far out as possible. Inboard 2.5" will change the leverage ratio and you will have to change the springs to get the same feel to what it was before.

·
Administrator
9,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
When we first started the bulkhead I said to Phil that we will cover most of it with stonechip as it was just too uneven/messed up to gloss it.

I lied :)

Hmm.....I seem to have got a bit carried away with the filler, it will get glossed after all :D

I've gone back to the filler I used on my car, Upol Smooth 7 as it is just a nice filler to use and has a high bond strength. The Evolution Rage I had been using is also lovely filler but I think it's more a finishing filler as it is far finer and a lot more liquid.

Grill shell is mostly finished from a filler point of view;

And the roof gets it's first coat of filler - ther is a big dip just here where the original roof joint is;

The A post is coming on nicely where the welded part was;

While the filler was curing I moved on to the bonnet. The first half is stripped of paint on the inside of the upper section ready for the welding repairs. I was just going to sand the paint smooth and paint over it - but I'm glad I stripped it back as there were some rusty patches hiding under the paint - nothing major but they needed treating.

The first repair to the bonnet was the split at the rear on the hinge line,

And all welded up

Next bit was the edge split;

And all welded up;

Front hinge edge was also welded;

A little skim of filler and all will be invisible.

Then on to the hole in the bonnet that was for the screenwash jet, I opened the hole up to match the infill metal I had;

And welded it in from the back so the dressed weld did not show on the outside;

Inside looks good too :) pretty bloody chuffed with that repair :)

157 hours.

·
Administrator
9,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
More filler work today, the bulkhead has had about 8 sessions of filler on (& off) now and is nearly there. If anyone wonders how much time it takes to get a show finish on things, there is about 30 hours work in the bulkhead so far and I think it will be at least another 10-20 hours yet before it is done & painted.

Roof is almost there now;

And the rear starts getting filler applied, even in the bootlid gutter.

162 hours.

·
Premium Member
14,296 Posts
mark, did you say you have new/better rear wings for this yet? just seen these on the nsra forum.
neil.

·
Administrator
9,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
Thanks for thinking of us Neil, but Phil has already ordered new wings from Pro Laminates now.

Phil popped over last night as he has been away for a week, so was keen to see how it had progressed. He seemed pretty pleased with progress, so I gave him some homework of sanding all of the grill bars and awkward areas of the repaired half of the bonnet ;)

Sand,sand,sand,sand,sand.................. It's not quite there yet but a coat of primer shows where the bad bits are more easily. Also the epoxy primer is so hard it protects the filler from getting sanded when I apply the small skims required to get it the last 10%.

Roof filler gets some primer;

As does the bulkhead area, not looking too bad but lots of small areas need a little more work.

Rear got some touches of primer over filled areas too as did the front grill.

165 hours

·
Administrator
9,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
Bit of a night off tonight. Did a little when I got in from work and just added a little more filler just now. I flatted the primer back a little to remove the sheen (epoxy is a high satin finish) so the filler had a good key and skimmed in the areas that need it.

Bulkhead;

and roof;

166 hours

·
Registered
92 Posts
Bit of a night off tonight. Did a little when I got in from work and just added a little more filler just now. I flatted the primer back a little to remove the sheen (epoxy is a high satin finish) so the filler had a good key and skimmed in the areas that need it.

Bulkhead;

and roof;

166 hours
Love the work being carried out, especially the details (which is boring at times if not soul destroying!) but equally important as the 99% visible.
A question regarding the hydrate-80, can (or do) you apply filler directly over it, or do you prime then fill (after flattening). Where do you get your Hydrate-80 from?

Keep the pictures coming.

·
Administrator
9,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 ·
Had a day off today so got a new bottle of gas from BOC and then me & mrs Blackpop went out for dinner in a restuarant!! First time since last November - was a bit chilly outside though!

When we got back I had a good session in the garage. Not much to see photographically as it looks pretty well the same as before, the bulkhead has been rubbed down and had two more sessions of filler applied and rubbed down again. I think it's just about there now but we will see when this skim is flatted back.

The rest of the session was spent sanding down all of the door shuts,inner window returns and stripping off the paint around the door edges. Window returns were treated with rust killer as they were a bit pitted.

Then I moved on to the B posts where the rodshop had welded in new repair sections to both of them. He had done a good job and they were pretty flat, I needed to gently planish in a couple of high spots and then these got a skim of filler over them too.

A post is looking good now its filled & primed.

171 hours.

·
Administrator
9,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
Love the work being carried out, especially the details (which is boring at times if not soul destroying!) but equally important as the 99% visible.
A question regarding the hydrate-80, can (or do) you apply filler directly over it, or do you prime then fill (after flattening). Where do you get your Hydrate-80 from?

Keep the pictures coming.
I only put the hydrate 80 on the rusty metal, I leave good metal bare. I ordered it from Bilt Hamber online. I tend to DA most of it off again before primer/filler as although they say it's perfectly ok to paint over I prefer to not take the risk if possible.

·
Administrator
9,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 ·
Today was a bit of a bust, spent most of the afternoon working on the daily (needed new rear pads) which decided one caliper would not wind back in. Ended up trawling the shops looking for a windback tool (there appears to be a national shortage of them) and eventually found Screwfix of all people had one.
Even with the right tool it put up a fight, poxy thing. I won in the end though.

So, not much happened on Phils car, as I only got a short time on it.

Sand,sand,sand,sand, .....filler...no! primer :) ooooh bulkhead is almost there now.

174.5 hours.

·
Administrator
9,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 ·
Phil came over today and was nicely suprised to find his bulkhead all in primer :) Though it now has even more bits of filler back on it;

Almost there now though.

Phil carried on stripping the underside of the car (I give him the best jobs, lol) so that is now ready for rust treatment, primer and seam sealer.

After that he started sanding the paint on the edges of the door jambs and around the window frames, finishing up stripping the paint off the inside of the other half of the bonnet.

While phil was doing that I was sanding and filling...again, lol. The roof is getting closer to being right;

And the rear arch flanges were filled so they will be smooth for the wings have a nice flat surface to bolt to.

I've started on the B posts as well, even the door returns get filled so they will be perfectly flat.

B posts are in the early stages here - I need to get the longboard on them to get them into a nice even curvature.

The A posts are getting some major attention, the passenger side fits reasonably well to the inner wing, but the drivers side needs a fair bit of profiling and that big gap at the bottom will get addressed shortly with new metal. It's too tight at the top so that will also get dressed back for more even spacing.

The gap that needs attention;

180 hours.

·
Premium Member
14,296 Posts
in the top pic of that lot i'm surprised your ocd allows you to leave the 'gap' in the fat horizontal 'rib' in the upper half of the bulkhead. i'd have had to fill in that with steel. oh and while i'm there the 'square' panel each side, one side has a vertical swage while the other has a cross ;). seriously though this'll be so much more than a 'repaint', phil should be very happy he 'allowed' you to do it. (y)
neil.

121 - 140 of 149 Posts