Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya,

I'm in Harlow and i'm looking for a MOT garage who will be sympathetic to my 1949 Ford Anglia.

Obviously your normal run of the mill garage won't know quite what to make of him!

Any points in the right direction will be much appreciated. :D

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
998 Posts
I think any mot place would mot it as a car regardless so i would just book it in somewhere. If its going to fail, it will fail for a reason. There cant be much to check on it and if its solid enough with good brakes etc then it should pass. Has the mot ran out or have you bought it and trying to get it mot'd?

·
Registered
149 Posts
totally agree,am a tester and quality controller for a test station and an mot is an mot,all test stations go by the same book,shouldnt matter where you take it,we do everything from 3 year old cars to hotrods,kit cars thru to 1920's pickups,they cant refuse to test your vehicle and if it fails and you think it shouldnt have then theres channels you can go down.
the mot test really isnt that bad:)

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Yes,they should all go by the book,just some dont know how to read it.Took a mates '55 truck to my local mot station after a full nut 'n bolt rebuild,everything was new and all metalwork painted.The mot man wanted to fail it because it didnt have outside mirrors,just internal one............... Had to get the supervisor from their other branch to come and check it as he didnt beleive me about not necessary on a pre.... vehicle.
Thinks whats being asked is an mot tester used to older vehicles

·
Premium Member
11,239 Posts
Yes,they should all go by the book,just some dont know how to read it.Took a mates '55 truck to my local mot station after a full nut 'n bolt rebuild,everything was new and all metalwork painted.The mot man wanted to fail it because it didnt have outside mirrors,just internal one............... Had to get the supervisor from their other branch to come and check it as he didnt beleive me about not necessary on a pre.... vehicle.
Hi Russ,

Couldn't agree more. Also anomilies afforded to vehicles because of age / country of origin get overlooked because the tester is not used to testing these types of vehicles, ie white and red indicators, seat belts, emissions, mirrors etc etc.

Cheers.

Russ.

·
fixin your car
935 Posts
i agree with the above,

BUT when i had my 105e tested it failed, not a problem i thaught only the front lower ball joints (excess play). but it took 3 weeks for me to track down 2 new ones and because it was to long for a free retest i had to pay for another test and it failed again same thing after fitting the new ones:grr:
so i asked how he tests this part of the car and i was told that he used a lever bar to test for play it was at this point i got a bit peed off i told him they are sprung loaded...he said "in that case they are ok, it's passed"

so what was wrong with the old ones ? nothing probably,
just wasted my time and money. iv not been back since..

i guess it's all about knowing about the older cars not just knowing what to fail it on....

·
Fruit & Nut Case
2,100 Posts
Try Rides in Waltham Cross. Run by Hot rodders & racers. All the comments above are correct, but some garages will try harder to find something wrong with your type of car.

I have no connection with this garage, 01992 628296 R/O 272-274 High St Waltham Cross EN8 7EA

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Russ,

Couldn't agree more. Also anomilies afforded to vehicles because of age / country of origin get overlooked because the tester is not used to testing these types of vehicles, ie white and red indicators, seat belts, emissions, mirrors etc etc.

Cheers.

Russ.
i agree with the above,

BUT when i had my 105e tested it failed, not a problem i thaught only the front lower ball joints (excess play). but it took 3 weeks for me to track down 2 new ones and because it was to long for a free retest i had to pay for another test and it failed again same thing after fitting the new ones:grr:
so i asked how he tests this part of the car and i was told that he used a lever bar to test for play it was at this point i got a bit peed off i told him they are sprung loaded...he said "in that case they are ok, it's passed"

so what was wrong with the old ones ? nothing probably,
just wasted my time and money. iv not been back since..

i guess it's all about knowing about the older cars not just knowing what to fail it on....
All the above are what I was getting at. :)
I don't feel there is anything wrong with the car but you can always get people who don't get it. My partner has a rat look beetle and he's had all this before.

I just want a fair test by someone who knows about old cars.

Try Rides in Waltham Cross. Run by Hot rodders & racers. All the comments above are correct, but some garages will try harder to find something wrong with your type of car.

I have no connection with this garage, 01992 628296 R/O 272-274 High St Waltham Cross EN8 7EA
Cool that sounds great. I'll give them a ring. :tup:

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
colper motors in enfield 020 8805 4372 this type of car would not scare him:tup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.