Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Fat 'n' Loud
4,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sitting here typing this when I really should be out in the garage getting something done. Trouble is I just can't be arsed.
I haven't touched the car for a couple of months now, the idea of yet more grinding and welding isn't that appealing.
Maybe I'll get some inspiration to get my finger out after the NATS.
Maybe I'll just flog the lot and take up stamp collecting. :sniff:
Is it just me?

·
Flange Dealer
642 Posts
Been there myself this last few months. Just ordered a pile of shiney go faster bits from Summit & all of a sudden I feel like doing a bit :O)

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
lee i was like that for a while, i blamed it spending too much time on these here forums listen to people moan about stuff, spend less time on here and get out there :)

·
Flange Dealer
642 Posts
You get what you pay for , or not. As the case may be. :incheek:

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,094 Posts
Just popped back in from timing amates Chevy and rejeting the
carb on the APU , off out now for a test drive and visit some garages :tup:

Liek Mark said ...spend less time on here and more time doing what we spend too much time talking about. Blag a ride in someones elses motor or go and watch the progress they are making...it' s good for the soul :D

·
Stroker
5,465 Posts
And...

try and start and finish parts of the project.

I've done everything all at the same time (ie finished nothing off properly).
Which sounds fine getting everything to work together and fit.
I've now spent months filling, flatting off and priming the whole car.
The paints taken 3 weeks so far due to lack of space.
It's begun to feel like a job so just want the car done now.

I should've sorted engine, front suspension, painted, job done.
Backhalved it, painted, job done.
Plumb, wire and fire - big grins all round, job done.
Sort shell, paint, done.
Sort glass panels, paint, done.
Windows and interior, job done.
(don't hang me on the details! :lol:)

As it happens I got a pile of dough in a built mill that's sat there for over 6 bloomin years.
If I'd got that baby running the car would be done by now.

I think maintaining the motivation can come by seeing proper progress.

KJ

·
Compulsive chicken choker
6,362 Posts
Yep, I've reached that point (again, I reckon I've got a season ticket!!!!).

Car sat in the garage finished, waiting to save some money for the MoT (including transporting it there). The exhaust manifold had a very slight blow so I removed it to replace the gasket & modify the downpipe slightly as it tended to catch on the top of the drive. Car's still on stands with the manifold off. I lent Crusty my fuel pressure regulator off it as I just can't see me finishing it for the next few months.... No idea what it is, but at the minute doing other stuff (mainly going away with the family, working & trying to finish the house extension) seems to give me more of a kick.

Even thought of trying to sell it (again) but for the time being I'll just stay away from it for a few weeks & see if the spark gets re0ignited.

·
Registered
7,436 Posts
lee i was like that for a while, i blamed it spending too much time on these here forums listen to people moan about stuff, spend less time on here and get out there :)
Liek Mark said ...spend less time on here and more time doing what we spend too much time talking about.
I disagree (is that cries of disbelief I hear ???) although I may be somewhat biased :lol:

These sites are great for when you haven't got the weather to be able to work in or even for when you need that mojo pickup or even if you're stuck on something and need help.

I reckon people can blame web sites and forums for reducing their productivity on cars but I think it's only because they don't have the enthusiasm to work on them and not that the site is dragging them away.

I run this forum and a few others and still managed to work on my cars (and other peoples). I'd say that i'm more involved in the sites (not just the front end) than most and I still find the time so it can't be all that counter productive can it :beuj:

I suppose it helps that i'm typing this from the garage while i'm waiting for some paint to dry as well :D

Yep, to get more done on the car you need to spend less time on the net but if you're mojo is fading then it's a good break to take and take advantage of the community side of things :tup:

Blag a ride in someones elses motor or go and watch the progress they are making...it' s good for the soul :D
This bit would be great if that kind of access was available to everyone. If it's not and say you've not got any local rodding mates then where better than to go on a national forum and see what other people around the UK are up to to rekindle that mojo :tup: :tup:

Forums aren't all bad ;)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hey Lee,I think most of us go thru thae "cant be arsed" stage from time to time.I should`ve got my Konsul on the road a loooong time ago.Sometimes life throws another load of crap at yer and your project is the last thing on your mind,but I gotta be honest,some of my lack of progress has been down to laziness.There,I`ve said it!lol.Get your arse in gear cos it aint as much fun going to a show in a friggin daily.cheers,Kol.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have a great long list of things to do do mine, but sometimes I'll go in the garage and spend two hours looking at that list, working out what I can't do because I really need to do this first, can't do that because I don't have the part, can't do the other because this bit is not painted etc.

Then I lock the door and go back in the house and play Gears Of War with my daughter. :D :smoke:

I also have a Harley I want to do 'stuff' to, but I know if I start doing 'stuff' to that it'll turn into a major project and then I'll have two long lists to sit and look at..... :shake:

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,094 Posts
I disagree (is that cries of disbelief I hear ???) although I may be somewhat biased :lol:

These sites are great for when you haven't got the weather to be able to work in or even for when you need that mojo pickup or even if you're stuck on something and need help..........

.........Forums aren't all bad ;)
I agree they are great but sticking with one is better ;) I see guys on here on at least half a dozen others ( King Herald has an excuse as he's bobbbing about on the sea from time to time :tup:) and bemoaning they're not getting it done. Yes, I know I must be on there to see them as well :shake:,that's all in scouting round for info re ACE which gets slotted in around car time.

·
complete knob..apperantly
617 Posts
just gone thro the lack of mojo bit.........but house holidays kids now sorted,the cheapo cadillac is now finally running proper ...true its a mid eighties fwd turd........but its v8 lol......but its kicked started me into finishing the zodiac :tup:

·
Registered
872 Posts
Sorry if this sounds harsh, but in the end it's all about how much you want the finished article... We all need to take a break and walk away for a day or two at times, but it's that desire to see it finished that keeps drawing us back. You can always find an excuse for a distraction, and sometimes that's necessary to be able to regroup, but that 'builder's itch' (which isn't the same as builder's bum btw...:shake:), well, it just needs constant scratching really.....

If ever I do need motivation, I work backwards mentally - I see the finished thing, I see myself firing it up and driving it and throwing it around and having the time of my life with it. Then I just step back to where I am now, and I'm proper buzzing again. :D:D:D

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Lee, get cracking, either that or come round to help on the pop this weekend...

Seriously, I know where you are coming from, your car isn't close to home, so a quick hour in the garage is actually much longer, I had the same a few years ago, now the garage is actually about 6 feet from this computer, it's just as hard thanks to the kids...!!!

As Odgie says, think about the finished article, with that lovely rollcage in it, and get a move on...

:cool:

·
Fat 'n' Loud
4,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Guy, it's closer to home than you think (i.e. on the other side of the kitchen door)!
Priorities change as kids, work, etc. happen, and it's difficult justifying time and money that could be spent on other things. I've been guilty of getting to this stage with projects before and then losing heart and selling up. I think it's better to shut the garage door for a few weeks/months and then make a fresh start when I feel like it, other wise I end up resenting the car.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,094 Posts
Lee , see Garys post about resenting the car. The whole house and kids stuff is the reason why so many come back to it when they get into their late 40s and 50s and money and time is more readily available.

I've been rodding for 37 years now ,I've seen many throw themselves in full bore as young guys only to disappear when they get married and have kids.

That's why I don't slag off any cars out there ,even if they are not to my personal taste or style. Simply getting a car finished is a HUGE achievement and that's without the distractions of real life thrown into the equation.:tdown:

Never had kids but I've done the marriage and divorce bit but I've always struggled with cash and time to spread between the car , house and other half.

Marian is great ,she knows the house will still be there when we are long gone . We grab the sun and shows in the summer and end up paying for them and working on the house in the winter.

We both know what is important in life and it isn't the cars but they are something that bring us both a lot of pleasure .When they become a chore it's a time to rethink. Often we are aiming for something we can't really afford, or achieve, and so set ourselves up for a fall from the start:sniff: .Far easier to get something out there that the family can enjoy .

·
Banned
4,274 Posts
Lee , see Garys post about resenting the car. The whole house and kids stuff is the reason why so many come back to it when they get into their late 40s and 50s and money and time is more readily available.

I've been rodding for 37 years now ,I've seen many throw themselves in full bore as young guys only to disappear when they get married and have kids.

That's why I don't slag off any cars out there ,even if they are not to my personal taste or style. Simply getting a car finished is a HUGE achievement and that's without the distractions of real life thrown into the equation.:tdown:

Never had kids but I've done the marriage and divorce bit but I've always struggled with cash and time to spread between the car , house and other half.

Marian is great ,she knows the house will still be there when we are long gone . We grab the sun and shows in the summer and end up paying for them and working on the house in the winter.

We both know what is important in life and it isn't the cars but they are something that bring us both a lot of pleasure .When they become a chore it's a time to rethink. Often we are aiming for something we can't really afford, or achieve, and so set ourselves up for a fall from the start:sniff: .Far easier to get something out there that the family can enjoy .
Wise words indeed, we all find that sometimes the family has to come first and that means the project stops and that alone can make you lose interest but stick with it and be proud of your end resuilt.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts