Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have asked previously about this but havnt really had any advise. I've also used the search function but am not really getting the answers I want.

I want to lower my 49' 3100 pickup. The rear is easy, either lowering springs or blocks.

Its the front that I cant decide on. The options are either 3" lowering leaf springs or a 3" dropped axle.

Im thinking that the lowering leaf springs are the way to go as I end with new springs, whereas buying a dropped axle would end up a lot more expensive if I wanted to replace my old springs with new std ones.

Has anyone used the lowering leafs??

Do you have a good reason not to use them??

Any advice will help me decide.

Thanks

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi my truck was lowered on the back with 2 inch blocks and the springs turned on the front, dont go that route as truck will bottom out on rubber stops and the clearance from spring to steering arm was around 20mm, way to close to arm and banged on it on bumps and speed ramps, I put mine back to stock mate, it look good but the drive was crap.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Front clip swap is cheapest and a good upgrade

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
evildave, im beginning to think you may well be right - although i feel comitted as ive already bought a disc conversion kit, kingpins etc..mmmm what to do.....?

·
Registered
378 Posts
2nd jag front about £300 you should be able to sell your bits easy enough

1 - 6 of 6 Posts