Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the introduction of E10 I was thinking about converting my 350 SBC to LPG.
Has anyone had any experience of this and any recommendations on kits etc.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
14,702 Posts
an impco 425 mixer will bolt directly to a holley double pumper base plate so you have no petrol carb at all. there's a place on american ebay (ebay name is propane-kits) that says he'll happily sent to the uk and can supply all the parts for conversion. i had a full size chevy blazer a few years back with an old mixer over the top of the carb conversion. the petrol tank was dry when i bought it and dry when i sold it, always ran on lpg only. pound for pound compared to petrol it did 27mpg equivalent. i ran it for 2 years as my daily even in the winter.
neil.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
With the introduction of E10 I was thinking about converting my 350 SBC to LPG.
Has anyone had any experience of this and any recommendations on kits etc.
Thanks
Be careful. I just read somewhere that "Autogas" is a collaboration between Shell and Calor and Shell are ending the contract, so, some garages are getting rid of "Gas" pumps. We have been running Irene's V8 Minor on gas for years, but, we are a little bit edgy now. I hope it isn't true.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,297 Posts
I'm afraid thta's correct Charlie :( Already stopped selling it in most places. Even my local Calor main supplier is shut down ( hopefull re-emerge later ). Seems to be agricultural suppliers, standalone pumps on trading estates and suchlike. I use LPG UK app that tells me which ones are still open.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,297 Posts
Nearest ones to me are now 25 miles east or west and 50 miles north . Only thing south is Isle of Wight and bothe stations there are out at the momemnt.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I'm afraid thta's correct Charlie :( Already stopped selling it in most places. Even my local Calor main supplier is shut down ( hopefull re-emerge later ). Seems to be agricultural suppliers, standalone pumps on trading estates and suchlike. I use LPG UK app that tells me which ones are still open.
Phew! I thought I was imagining it!!!!

·
Registered
859 Posts
I thought that for what comes out of the exhaust (which everybody in government seem to always bang on about) LPG was the fuel that caused the least amount of toxic emissions of all fossil fuels. ISTR it was nealy zero but I may have dreamt that. Still, if that is the case, and everybody started using it, what a waste of time all those electric cars would be, not devastating the environment mining all the Lithium for the batteries and all..

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,297 Posts
LPG is a waste product of petrol production and costs a fraction of petrol ( normally .60 to .70 p ) and carries low tax. So obviously there not going to encourage it's use ! LOL

The forward thinking garage where I used to work was selling electric cars and LPG 50 years ago . Boss was a real petrolhead and involved with McLaren back then .

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys for all your replies.
Now…..are we saying that Autogas is going to disappear.
Or that it just might be a bit less available.
So is the best thing to make the truck so it will run on both petrol and Autogas rather than just autogas.
Is there anyone that has used a good system that will work with a carb too.
I have an Edelbrock if that is relevant.
Thanks again
Ronnie

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,297 Posts
Autogas is mostly already gone :( However it is a set up where Shell supplies Calor via their forecourts, Calor and other LPG makes will still be availabel just not as conveniently.

I ran LPG on my Fury with a Tinley Tech set up . However due to hood height constrictions I could use the normal IMPCO typre mixer on the carb so had a different make of diffuser and two miser mouted on inner wings.

·
Registered
1952 Chevrolet 3100
403 Posts
Hi Ronnie, hope you are well. just checking that you know that super unleaded is staying as E5.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Rick
All good thanks
Yes, I realise super is E5 thanks.
I’ve been thinking about LPG for a while.
Still fancy doing a kit over the winter.
I thought from an economy point of view, it would make the truck really very usable.
I know if economy is what you are looking for this is the wrong hobby.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,297 Posts
It worked for me allowing me to run my tuned 318 Fury as a daily . Normally 16 around town and 20 on arun the lpg gave an equivalent ( pound per mile ) of 30 around town and 36 on arun. Trouble is without some form of economy a car can quickly become a garage ornament . I like to use mine so need 30mpg to be affordable.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That’s so true.
My truck, I’m sure is typical of all the rest.
Going past petrol stations give it anxiety.
I’m a mechanic, and within the circle of mechanics I know no one thinks my LPG plan is any good.
They all say…..Naa gas never works properly.
People think it’s great at first, but then it’s always trouble.
I’ve never had a gas conversion, so I’m open minded.

·
stitchmeister
twin turbo LS 59 chevy apache
4,772 Posts
this might make your mind up !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! a 47kg gas bottle this time last year was around £70 been told today that travis perkins want £170 now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,297 Posts
depends on the complexity of the conversions . A carbed vehicle conversions is very simple and trouble free in my experience. When you geteinto injected motors then you have different levels of electronics involved to fool the ECU into believing it's still running on petrol and to give it the signals it expectes to see . Only initial problem is nrmally sorting the correct plugs . This is caused by the plugs themselves ,sold as being for a certain range of old plugs, sometines dont perform as well at the edges of their range.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,297 Posts
this might make your mind up !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! a 47kg gas bottle this time last year was around £70 been told today that travis perkins want £170 now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Those places still selling bulk non bottled LPG are still around 70p a litre . Have alook on the LPG link put up earlier as it gives you stations and current prices.

·
Premium Member
14,702 Posts
just used that link kev, our local morrisons supermarket station is only 58p/litre (y)
neil.

·
Registered
55 Posts
LPG is obviously a 'dry' fuel

Engines wear more, run hotter and generally come rebuild time are in a far worse state than those run on petrol ..... worn bores, valve seat recession etc ...... just one other thing to consider

Having said that, plenty of 'independents', mostly related to taxi operations, sell it (at least locally)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts