Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello peeps.

fresh crate 350 with edelbrock 500 carb on top.

always started and ran fine while in the garage.then had issues with fuel congealing due to not being used.(cleaned carb out twice)

finally got it on road and ran fine locally on test drives.

ran fine on way to wheels day but noticed while stuck in the jams the idle got worse.

its lumpy and makes the car shudder but is fine once away under load.

any quick pointers what to look for

thanks
wayne

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
mine did the same sitting in that traffic, with the same carb
went really juddery around 1000rpm when pulling away and went to stall a few times
did wonder if it was the fuel getting hot or maybe the metering rods sticking as the a/f gauge was reading 10.1 - 11.1 on idle and its never done that before
seems fine now though
be interesting to find out what the cause was

·
The Camino Kid
1,173 Posts
I've heard about this, fairly common, problem with the Edelbrock carbs before. Unfortunately, I cant remember what the remedy was if there was one. Stupid question but could it be the base of the carb warping ever so slightly with the heat which would cause a air leak? is the carb on a phenolic spacer? Rog.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
it tells you what ratio of fuel to air the engine is burning ie 10.1 =10 parts air 1 part fuel super rich
or 16.1 lean
so found my own sbc running realy rich on idle in that traffic
had the plugs out yesturday and they were pretty sotty

·
Registered
639 Posts
more likely fuel boiling in the carb, a phenolic spacer helps insulate it from the manifold heat
can it be altered to run fuel through the carb and back to the tank,which is the best way to 'cure' the problem or as much cool air to it as possible....not easy always either

1 - 11 of 11 Posts