Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howzit goin?Ive been lurkin around here for awhile.You guys have got a great site,lots of good shit and a bit of humour.Im into fast street cars especially gassers.I currently own a 55 chev gasser that im in the process of getting "legal".It's powered by a 454 LS6and was a drag car before i bought it about three years ago. cheers Russ

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Russ...Big Welcome to Rods n Sods....

Post up some pics, of the 55......im sure I have a few pics from NZ or OZ which date back to the 80s

Bob...
Hi Bob,thanks for the welcome.My 55 came from Invercargill at the bottom of NZ where it had been drag raced for several years
by the owner/builder Graeme Eyles.I had just sold my previous hot rod and the 55 came up for sale.Ill see if i can get some pics up. cheers Russ

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
Oh so tuff!!
Your intro prompted a search of NZ racing. Nearest i can find it your 55 ran 11's? Some real cool cars down there, but you seem to suffer with short runoff tracks!!

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Howzit goin?Ive been lurkin around here for awhile.You guys have got a great site,lots of good shit and a bit of humour.Im into fast street cars especially gassers.I currently own a 55 chev gasser that im in the process of getting "legal".It's powered by a 454 LS6and was a drag car before i bought it about three years ago. cheers Russ
Welcome Russ

I will be over your way end of Aug for appox 6 months...might even be longer...love the yank & rodding culture out there, been to the North Island four times in the past 5 years, stayed in Kerikeri last year for 3 months helping an ex-pat out in his garage...great place Kerikeri but a bit quiet for me....hoping to stay around Tapo area in Aug, oh I will pop into Meremere Drag strip from time to time:tup:

Never know we might bump into each other :?:

Anyway enjoy the site, all the guys are great & a good place to have fun :D

Ps the 55 looks real cool :tup:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Hi Zody,keep in touch and maybe we can get together when youre overThats a real nice 57 you've got there,whats it running?.Dont tell anyone but i was born in Blackpool,migrated when i was two...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Come on Bob,you can do better than that,look up kiwi drag racing.That google search was just kids racing...:tdown:

Heres my 55 at the top and a few of my mates competing at the nostalgias at Meremere back in april.

·
Mr Invisible
1,510 Posts
Hi Russ and welcome to the site...
Here's one Russ made earlier..

·
Mr Invisible
1,510 Posts
It's almost there.... But then it's been ALMOST there for a couple of years...
Started on the dash rewire, got all the stuff to put the new alternator on, then it's just the wheels and sorting out the steering shaft.
probably won't make it this year... :-(

·
Exceeded sell by date
7,742 Posts
Hi Russ and welcome to the site. Love the 55 and some great pics there. Seems to be a really good scene in NZ?

·
Premium Member
4,207 Posts
Hi Russ and welcome to the site. Love the 55 and some great pics there. Seems to be a really good scene in NZ?
X2 Steve,great site,my daughter was on a stop over for two weeks in NZ,which turned into six months,and the the "world back packing trip"terminated there ! that was two years ago,she's just finished Uni,and guess where she's heading for ?!,Bry

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Hi Bry,how you doin?Hows that monster mk2 of yours going,good to see your still alive:tup:Hopefully youll be driving the wheels off it.Could you tell Steve its only July and theres still five months left of this year.Thats right,you guys are headin to winter.Its been pretty cold here but its slowly getting warmer.Thanks for the welcome Plumpcars,yeah,weve got a real good scene down here,lots of rods and events and some real awsome drag cars.Heres a fewmore pics from last aprils nostalgias DSC06187.jpg DSC05745.jpg DSC05705.jpg DSC05555.jpg DSC06230.jpg ...

·
Premium Member
4,207 Posts
Hi Russ,its good to see you on here,your car is looking good,as most of the stuff over there does !,Its on my list of places to visit so you might end up with an upsidedown crew man one weekend !!,Bry:tup:

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Bob

My wife wants to move out there, she has a brother living over there & wants me to sort out
a way of us staying there for good, last year I attended a couple of courses (WOF) (CPC) for
the NZ requirement for employment offers in my field...hoping to go next month to get a job
offer to qualify to stay (migrate)....:tup:

Russ...if it happens ? I will be bringing the 57 with me :tup:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi Lurker

I grew up in NZ Manukau to to exact spent alot of time at Meremere dragstrip is it still there and being used been in the UK for 20 years now so totaly out of touch with the rod & race scene hope its still good brings back alot of good memorys

Welcome to Rods & Sods

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Hi Lurker

I grew up in NZ Manukau to to exact spent alot of time at Meremere dragstrip is it still there and being used been in the UK for 20 years now so totaly out of touch with the rod & race scene hope its still good brings back alot of good memorys

Welcome to Rods & Sods
Well it was last year, and still there as far I'm aware.....good drag strip....I like the way the local council
named the road leading down to the strip ( Drag way Rd )

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Bry,ive had a few upside down guys on my crew before,:drunk:sometimes when were doing a thrash at night but on race day its not usually till after the meeting.Zody,the 57 would fit right into the scene down here,we got heaps of tri5's here,real popular.Cheers Lucky,Invercargill's right down the bottom and it'd be f'n cold there right now.Its no wonder Burt wanted to go to the states...BlownT,how you going mate.I had a 33 coupe that i raced at meremere 87-88,blown 408 bbc,matt black,ran low 10,s you might of seen it,only raced one season,sold it before i crashed it.It was to dangerous for a street car but man it was fun.What are you driving at the moment?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts