Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
anyone here able to supply/machine some mild steel sleeves for me?
tried locally but let me down and taking weeks

needs to be 50mm od,29mm id and 39mm long

·
Registered
833 Posts
Talking of machining...A couple of weeks ago I took a drawing and a length of steel rod to a machinist that I have used over the years.....basically it was , 1/2" unf for 1",5/8" for 13/4",3/4"" for 2",then 1/2" for 11/2" and finally 1" of 1/2" unf thread.....was expecting about £60 tops....but when I called around to collect them(2off) I was hit with a tab for £125. !!!!!!! Methinks it's time to buy a little lathe.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thought about a machine too,but no room for it. wonder if i could keep it at work....................mmmmm..............

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Talking of machining...A couple of weeks ago I took a drawing and a length of steel rod to a machinist that I have used over the years.....basically it was , 1/2" unf for 1",5/8" for 13/4",3/4"" for 2",then 1/2" for 11/2" and finally 1" of 1/2" unf thread.....was expecting about £60 tops....but when I called around to collect them(2off) I was hit with a tab for £125. !!!!!!! Methinks it's time to buy a little lathe.
It goes to show that its best to get a quote ( written if possible ) before the works started then you do not get a nasty shock when it's finished. Saying that Trevd will not stitch you up.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
thats not expensive, the going rate for one off prototype work (that's what it would be classed as) is £150 per hour plus materials (wish i could charge that) and as it would all be manual work it would probably be at least 2 hours work. also supplying your own material isn't cost effective, i charge more to machine materials customers supply as the quality is usually poor so dosnt machine as easily and damages cutters due to soft and hard areas, i always use top quality materials (not cheap) as i know what it will machine like. saying that i could have done it cheaper including postage but to me its a hobby not my main income.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
thats not expensive, the going rate for one off prototype work (that's what it would be classed as) is £150 per hour plus materials (wish i could charge that) and as it would all be manual work it would probably be at least 2 hours work. also supplying your own material isn't cost effective, i charge more to machine materials customers supply as the quality is usually poor so dosnt machine as easily and damages cutters due to soft and hard areas, i always use top quality materials (not cheap) as i know what it will machine like. saying that i could have done it cheaper including postage but to me its a hobby not my main income.
Isn't that the truth, you look at the items and think there only small so cheap , but when you got £2500 a month in rent , electric , business rates , to pay . Setting and unsettling the machine also.
Its hard work to earn money now , most of our stuff is set up for cnc batch work , then you got to purchase more and more material so the price is lower .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts