Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Custom car is back on shit paper like in the 70 and at 4 quid what a rip off i don.t think i am going to bye it anymore i think i will bye american mags now much cheaper how can they make them much cheaper and send them over here

·
Premium Member
8,067 Posts
covers excellent, inner paper crap, have moaned to dave recently , 70s was better apart from centres used to fall out very easy the 1977 issues...

·
Registered
862 Posts
Knowing a little about this, in CC defence paper prices have gone through the roof as have all print consumables...
So I'm guessing to keep the price down, they are using a lighter weight paper.
At times it can be hard to keep the balance right, I don't buy it for other reasons but I'm not going into that again !!!!

·
Having a cuppa
2,629 Posts
Can't say I've noticed any difference in the quality of late. Maybe I should spend less time looking at the words and pictures and more on feeling the pages. Like most people here I'd be over the moon if CC went up to Rodder's Journal levels of quality (for no increase in the cover price obviously :incheek:) but market forces won't let that happen.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,276 Posts
Custom car is back on shit paper like in the 70 and at 4 quid what a rip off i don.t think i am going to bye it anymore i think i will bye american mags now much cheaper how can they make them much cheaper and send them over here
All fairly standard basic economics ,compare editorial pages and advertising pages with circulations.

·
Registered
274 Posts
[
QUOTE=PONCHO;417395]S'funny, all my centre pages used to stick together in the 70s...[/QUOTE]

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH those were the days

·
Delinquent in denial...
584 Posts
how can they make them much cheaper and send them over here
Cos they fill 90% of their mag with adverts and only 10% is of any real reading material. ;)

Matt

·
Registered
552 Posts

I have to say that we here at CC always think there is nothing like constructive criticism, and to be honest this is nothing like constructive criticism.
I fully agree the paper stock is not ideal, but it's been just the same for at least the last 2 years so why mention it now? Maybe you're not exactly a regular reader.
As has already been mentioned the price of raw paper stock has risen dramatically of late so surely it's better to publish a magazine using less than ideal stock than inflate the price even more, or worse still not publish it at all.
Likewise if you compare the editorial/advertising page ratio you'll probably find you get far better value for money with CC (then again I'm biased so I would say that).
Then of course there's the issue of content. If you want to read about American cars and Ametican events then by all means buy an American magazine - if not then buy British.
Dave

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
custom car is full of american stuff cant we have a mag for this side of the pond . I may be little biased my self .i do like british tin , there is enough british tin in this here england to fill the mag i get fed up of looking at 34 s model B A T YANK TANKS WHATS WONG WITH hour stuff ok there in it once in a blue moon . In there early years of cc they told you every thing that whent into a cars build and alot was made no bought I am old school perhaps , I have been reading cc since 1976 and the oppositon mags there were four it took you a mouth to read them bring back the old days . the mag seem to write about how much money you can throw at a car . i am an enthuseast and not a money pit i find it hard to bye it now i look through it first then deside to by it hard on minimum wage to justify it REGARDS MARTIN

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
custom car is full of american stuff cant we have a mag for this side of the pond . I may be little biased my self .i do like british tin , there is enough british tin in this here england to fill the mag i get fed up of looking at 34 s model B A T YANK TANKS WHATS WONG WITH hour stuff ok there in it once in a blue moon . In there early years of cc they told you every thing that whent into a cars build and alot was made no bought I am old school perhaps , I have been reading cc since 1976 and the oppositon mags there were four it took you a mouth to read them bring back the old days . the mag seem to write about how much money you can throw at a car . i am an enthuseast and not a money pit i find it hard to bye it now i look through it first then deside to by it hard on minimum wage to justify it REGARDS MARTIN
You really are reading a different magazine than I am.

Four mags in '76? Name them please because I obviously missed out somewhere.

Arguably, mags should be inspirational, showing what is often possible and believe me, those people who you accuse of 'throwing money' at a car are often in the same boat as you and me. Their choice, their money. They provide us all with the inspiration to go out and try for what we can. I think CC does a bloody good job of representing the scene in the UK.
They feature what appears at runs. What else would you expect them to do?

I can't find any other comment to make

·
Super Moderator
7,399 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
i.m assuming you mean CC is featuring yank cars that are built in the uk ?
do you mean it should feature british cars built in the uk only ?

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I like the UK built Yank stuff and some sixties/seventies British stuff (never have aspired to own a rod) and there's the problem Dave B and the CC team have. Trying to please everyone. I love a couple of the American mags too, but they are more corporately controlled...a couple of times I have read open editorial comments about the ad dept insisting they put a red Camaro on the cover, or colour wash a white car yellow for the cover shot, as it sells more copies.
What CC captures is what's going on in the UK scene. If I can offer one constructive comment - and it's only my view - the SoCal Diaries has really had its day for me.
I for one would be sad to see CC disappear though, it's been a friend since childhood. It'l do for me:tup:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts