Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Full Time Metal Junkie
248 Posts
Not all door bottoms are just a flat bucket, this one in particular had a reveal or swage in the bottom.

here is the flat with the template lines for the reveal .

Here is the bottom with the reveal and the other contours worked into the panel

here it's fit to the bottom.

·
Full Time Metal Junkie
248 Posts
On both doors are storage compartments that seem to get plenty of ware. It has a wire type edge that needs to be folded and radius.

Here is the new one with te edge and the side spot weld tabs.

Along the bottom has a channel were a rubber insulator seals the door.

·
Full Time Metal Junkie
248 Posts
Hi Folks
I got a day here were I could get back on the lower door. As a recap I am going to be making a few pairs of these. The door I am using for a template dose not need a whole skin, so I am going to make a small inner repair panel to get this door closer to ready to go to the body shop.

Here I am cutting off anything that looks like it has a rust pit deeper than
.005 , now this isn't a science and I don't get out a dept gauge, I use a bit of common sense, and after a while you know how much is to much.
Now the door bucket is 19 gauge which is .042 and I am leaving about 20 gauge which is .036 which would actually be .006 again not a science...

I used magnets to hold most of the panel in place and one small c clamp to keep the panels weight from causing it to fall off. This tells you even after forming the panels edge or out of its natural flat shape the panel is totally stress free and a good copy of the panel that was removed.

Here you can see the tight fit were it will be easy to butt weld with little effort.

The bottom fits decent, but I'm not going to weld it in until I repair the out door skin.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts