Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'v used search but can't find it on here ,remember an old thread about Mallory condensors being crap?
I've got to get a new one for my mates Dual point fitted in his Rover so any pointers please . Also should these run a ballast resistor or do they already have one in the wiring harness itself?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Hi Kev
why muck about with all that old tech points stuff .I allways tell people to fit a petronix igniter and flamethrower coil
fit and forget,money well spent.
i get mine from mark at power services international

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not just one set of points John ! Not my money to spend ,just trying to get it running as cheaply as poss at the mo. Aren't the Mallory condensors meant to be rough anyway and people replace with Lucas ?

·
Registered
301 Posts
My original Mallory condenser only lasted about a month. Just went down the local motor factors and they went through their old stock and found one the same size. It was off something common but can't remember what now.

That was about five years ago but I bet condensers are getting rare these days so might not be that easy!

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just had a PM to say he's found a used one and a new one 'in stock'. Would prefer to get a longterm fix though. Problem is I hav eto drive 40 mile sthere to collect it as a pattern otherwise.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Kev ,i had a die hard guy who wanted to use dual points and one day his car broke down and i took a lucas condenser with me (all i had at time)got to car and found one set of points burnt so removed bad set,fitted condenser and used lead set of points,set gap to .012" to help dwell,done timing static and he claimed car ran sweetwith one set of points never had condenser go again? if its not a high perf job may be worth a try? and i have lucas condenser you can have

·
Registered
727 Posts
Yes Kev Mallory condensors are shite, Lucas ones seem to last for years, My Cortina and the Blues Moggy both run Lucas condensers and never had to change them (I wish theyed do something about the plastic they use for there point heel, dont last worth a shite) With Mallorys I have set em to .018 and only used the lead pair and that seems to work well. But swap for a Lucas condensor. Off hand anybody know what microfarad the Mallory one is ment to be?
Martin.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I always ran a ballast ,had a coil explode when i forgot.
I guess you had no balast resistor on a coil that needed one. An internaly balasted coil dont need a balast resistor and wont blow up for not having one.
Kev V8's of all types with points ignitions will start and run better with not interaly balasted coil and a seperate ballast resistor. As the ballast bypass when cranking really helps when the engine is hot.
Martin.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Which is the lead pair Martin? Need as many options of sorting this as poss:)

·
Registered
727 Posts
The second pair of points in rotation controls the timing the first pair adjust the dwell. So second set in rotation is the lead pair Kev.
Martin.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts