Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I've got a couple of taillight bezels made out of mazak /pot metal, they have small dividing bars in them which I want to cut out , trouble is, that will mean there will be small 'v' shaped notches left that I want to fill. Would it be possible to fill these somehow and then chrome the pieces? If so anyone recommend someone who would do an A1 job? Thanks. J

·
Premium Member
4,207 Posts
Hi guys, I've got a couple of taillight bezels made out of mazak /pot metal, they have small dividing bars in them which I want to cut out , trouble is, that will mean there will be small 'v' shaped notches left that I want to fill. Would it be possible to fill these somehow and then chrome the pieces? If so anyone recommend someone who would do an A1 job? Thanks. J
Yes it can be done but you need a very good relationship with your plater before you even think about it,Bry

·
Premium Member
4,207 Posts
Why's that Bry? Is it bugger to do? Expensive?
Well mate you need to get them to dip/ strip it then, copper plate it, then you need to silver solder the damaged/repaired area's silver solder-file and polish, it -then back to the platers to re copper it - then re-silver solder file and polish - and repeat till its perfect, this can go on scarily, ive done a Hispanio-Suzza grille the bill was in the thousands to get it right, its all on how right you want it vs whats the car worth,bry

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers Bry for explaining that, it sounds a huge undertaking. I don't have to do the mod, but I wanted to, but hey, I'll live with it. Those Hispano-Suizas are pretty special, high value cars. I've read that some of them originally had giraffe skin upholstery!!

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
Might be cheaper to talk to someone who could use your original as a plug to do a sand cast copy in brass. Then chrome it.

·
I'm Not Jed Clampett
2,725 Posts
Might be cheaper to talk to someone who could use your original as a plug to do a sand cast copy in brass. Then chrome it.
Have done this with die castings before. Give Whitton's Castings (they're at Charlton SE London) a call. Actually had the last one done in Gunmetal (Bronze) but Steve and Aiden will do sand castings in most metals. You just need to fill over any screw holes etc. and make sure your pattern is smooth. The resulting casting will be stronger than the rabbit metal original and will be straighforward to electroplate too.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have done this with die castings before. Give Whitton's Castings (they're at Charlton SE London) a call. Actually had the last one done in Gunmetal (Bronze) but Steve and Aiden will do sand castings in most metals. You just need to fill over any screw holes etc. and make sure your pattern is smooth. The resulting casting will be stronger than the rabbit metal original and will be straighforward to electroplate too.
Cheers mate, I'll give them a try, I live a mile from Charlton. Do you know their number or address? Cheers. John

·
Registered
12,507 Posts
What are you up to Johnny boy?

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Ross, I'm restoring a '68 mustang ragtop. It's going to be awesome I hope! Just getting some advice from these guys as I've only owned stock yanks with no mods. This one will be a restomod, tastefully done I hope! Are you coming to Chelsea on Saturday? The halloween night should be a blast!

·
I'm Not Jed Clampett
2,725 Posts
Cheers mate, I'll give them a try, I live a mile from Charlton. Do you know their number or address? Cheers. John
They're near the top of Eastmoor Street, on the left as you travel down from Woolwich road. Phone number is 0208 853 2038 postcode is SE7 8LX.

Best thing is just to take your bezel there really and speak to Steve or Aiden, they almost certainly won't be able to price the job over the phone.

·
Registered
12,507 Posts
Hi Ross, I'm restoring a '68 mustang ragtop. It's going to be awesome I hope! Just getting some advice from these guys as I've only owned stock yanks with no mods. This one will be a restomod, tastefully done I hope! Are you coming to Chelsea on Saturday? The halloween night should be a blast!
Not too sure whether car will be back from having new exhaust manufactured?

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
They're near the top of Eastmoor Street, on the left as you travel down from Woolwich road. Phone number is 0208 853 2038 postcode is SE7 8LX.

Best thing is just to take your bezel there really and speak to Steve or Aiden, they almost certainly won't be able to price the job over the phone.
Thanks again Stuart, I saw Aiden and he's making me a pair or bezels out of bronze and pre-polishing them for the chromers, hope they're nice as they bezels ain't cheap!!!

·
I'm Not Jed Clampett
2,725 Posts
Thanks again Stuart, I saw Aiden and he's making me a pair or bezels out of bronze and pre-polishing them for the chromers, hope they're nice as they bezels ain't cheap!!!
Glad to hear you're sorted. I always do my own finishing, but Gunmetal castings don't come cheap, not least because of the raw material cost.

I've always found Steve and Aiden's work to be first class, I have my own crucible furnace here, but they do most of my castings, I just do the pattern making and machining etc.

Put an image up here of the bezels when you get them back.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts