Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Sheep Shagger
858 Posts
Fantastic.
Good to see him doing well over there. What did he run ?

I always remember seeing him and his mob at Avon Park and being impressed that they were a scruffyish bunch with no airs and graces, but used to run serious numbers.

And on the car (and the bus) "Powered by thought" Excellent.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fantastic.
Good to see him doing well over there. What did he run ?

I always remember seeing him and his mob at Avon Park and being impressed that they were a scruffyish bunch with no airs and graces, but used to run serious numbers.

And on the car (and the bus) "Powered by thought" Excellent.
Ain't got any times from him yet, just a quick mail to say, 'Back, Knackered, here's a vid, More soon...' It's not yet a top notch car, he's in wth a family team from Michigan, long-term racers, moved up to Top Fuel, so they're just developing the car as they go along - hence him getting the drive as a well experienced TF shoe. But it looked a strong enough pass... :tup:

Anyway, who are you calling 'scruffy'...? :D (er, that would have been me...). Me and him have been mates for 50 years this year - hell, we could write a book..... Or two...... :)

·
richard rawlplug
8,226 Posts
gotta love top fuel...well done smax:tup:

·
Premium Member
4,385 Posts
It brings back memories of halcyon days, Smax and the Mainline Menace, Avon Park Bar. Need I say more, no I don't think I will say more!
If you think Odgie, tell him Rog and Frank (White '57) were asking about him. We read and enjoy his posts on Eurodragster, he never gives up always pushing on, that effort deserves a reward.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It brings back memories of halcyon days, Smax and the Mainline Menace, Avon Park Bar. Need I say more, no I don't think I will say more!
If you think Odgie, tell him Rog and Frank (White '57) were asking about him. We read and enjoy his posts on Eurodragster, he never gives up always pushing on, that effort deserves a reward.
From the man himself:

rog n frank are ace
pass on me regards if poss
we always did lotsa
(I've censored this bit guys... but I'm sure you know what he said...) wiv em in clubhouse
rog ran cool 57 n frank had the wildest bikes-trucks n hotrods ever-luved em!!!
cheers man
ace 2 read people ain t 4gotten us
full revs
smax

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bit of an epic this, but if anyone's interested, here's how his weekend went. He ain't changed much then...... :shake::D:D

HOW FAR WOULD U GO FOR 5 SECS OF FUN???????
WELL ITS ROUND TWO IHRA IN ROCKINGHAM NORTH CAROLINA
yet another mega drive for 18hrs from ontario thru michigan-ohio-west virginia-virginia then southern part of north carolina to compete in top fuel
we set off with mates paul jenkins (who does clutch) and jeff benham from tire connection n hooked up with gary mooney nr detroit n jumped in his 2008 dodge hemi truck
left at 7 pm and a tough journey to the track arriving approx 1pm.-i jumped out to greet the team who all had their chins on th deck n bob (car owner)told us we had spun a main brg and were done 4 the w/end cos no spare block or crank
gary crew chief was even gonna call me to turn back home but those who know me know this ain t an option and i ll power wotever 2 make things happen
so crew yanks block out n looked at damage
my friend barry paton was also there n had a spare crank he could sell us and a cap n saddle-problem then was where 2 get a line bore at 4pm on a sunny friday in the states
well we called many machine shops-even downloaded info from the net but eventually one guy recommended clay ewing (http://www.ewingmachine.com/) who was an absolute star
we dropped block at his shop n he worked on it till 1030pm even powerwashing block-wot an angel-he did a stirling job
he had never seen drag racing so we invited him 2 join us n sure enough he turned up sat 2 see wot all the fuss was about
we also had just met mark jones who lives in florida and helps the leverichs-wot a riot he is
ist of all i m sure half of america has seen his ass cos his shorts don t fit properly and is the classic plumbers crack!!!!
he has a six second altered he just crashed n even when it landed on him on fire he got out ok and went n bought a nitro altered 4 good measure
anyhow mark helped gary n team put crank etc back together and dropped block in frame approx 2 am
went to a motel in s.carolina and went to bed approx 3 am-not bad -only been awake 43 hrs then got up 4 hrs later to return to the track n build motor for session two
huge thrash but we made the call and between me-gary leverich n aidee we had a tune up ready for the hot sweaty track
we pulled up to fire up but mark noticed a bolt thru wheely bar not right n dived under car again his ass attracting all the ihra officials while i was yelling leave it
marshalls gave us a few mins but we were told to go back 2 pits-bummer
at least we ready for nite session except we forgot to bump up timing as planned
anyhow
we were ist pair in the dark and a capacity crowd and was paired with terry mcmillan a ihra record holder
he runs for 1min 15 secs to our 2 mins so we fired up first-(well we did but stalled n took 4ever to refire) and was to do ist burnout for the nitro junkies and uninitiated alike so of course i rose to the occasion with a fierce burnout to the delight of the crowd
i guess the other racers and ihra wren t expecting much from us due to our misgivings so after staging i drilled the tree to a fine .090 lite and a 3.69 @223 to 1/8th mile and a 5.45 @253 1/4 but broke a rod at 1100 ft so was only on throttle 4.9 secs
we were all delighted as we had stout 8 ft header flames and a best run for this team but more importantly a baseline so we can now start tuning this animal
we didn t qualify but got 10th place money to fix the relatively minor damage
hopefully we can make round 3 in texas but i ain t driving!!!!
we partied with jet bike guys n went out for tea with bob n crew n again up till 3 am

we got up sunday n watched top fuel n started back around 1pm n drove to border at 4 am-(only up yet another 27 hrs) so imagine the stress when we got searched and detained by border nazis who said we had suspected stolen plates on car
i had used customers car who knew i was using so i presumed his plate but border contacted cops who said it came on computer as lost or stolen
border decided to let us go but called police who came n handcuffed me n took me to station and said i was beinng held on suspicion of possesing stolen property!!!!
i was put in holding cell -had 2 remove me shoes n cmobile took off me while they figured things out
anyhow 1/2 hr later they found i was telling truth and released me without charge but delayed us 3 hours!!!!!turns out a mistake on the mto computer-yeah thanx guys!!!!!!!
fianally got home 10 am but reflecting on them header flames we all agreed was an awesome w/end but a long way 2 go for 5 secs of fun!!!!!
stay tuned for round three
thanx for all well wishers emails
also congrats to stu n rich mcdonald for getting car out with jon webster in the rune camp
full revs
smax

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.