Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

3501 - 3520 of 3547 Posts

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,501 (Edited)
Well today dawned sparklingly blue and pristine , so i hoicked on my Gay M.T.B. Captain hat and shades , jumped in the old battlewagon , and shoved off for the shops .

Put a tenner in at the petrol station , waited for photographers to finish , then off to lidl's for my first shop in 4 moths .spoinged out of the car like zebedee (magic roundabout) and donned my mask of secrecy ,shop was pretty empty , so whizzed around ,and all was well .

Loaded it all in , fired up ,and drove out , waited at the lights then the roundabout ,and off i went down the straight to home ...er...well....not so simple......

Casually glancing at the dashboard i purloined off the Nautilus, i suffered a slight miasma of shock , my vision clouded, and i had to rub my eyes in that , american hero about to attack a jap aircraft carrier in a sopwith camel.... sort of way..

Yup , my temp gauge for the 4.0 litre engine no .2......(normal reading 85c)..... was reading 112 degrees c !

...my internal "god awlmighty" was interrupted when i then noticed the rad water pressure measuring device , was communicating the shocking out of this world fact , that the internal cooling pressure , instead of being the normal 5 to 7 psi , was ..wait .for .it.....wait for it....

TWENTY BLOODY FIVE PSI OF HEAD GASKET BLOWING GOODNESS !

At this point i realised i had not tuned the water pump on .

After booking myself in for a thorough barbed wire flagellation session upon my return , i carried on fluffing the throttle to keep the engines as far below actual aluminium meltdown as possible , 1200 rpm at 45 mph , and watched the dash board for signs of hope .

the rd pressure came down to 12 to 15 ....15psi is the cap blow off level ...

front engine was at 95 , rear stayed at 110c .all...the...way...home.....

drove in , hoofed the bonnet off , and got the garden hose on a "light fairy bath gossamer misting" setting (that's setting no2 in the instructions) , and wafted it over the blocks , upon which point the water droplets cracked off like fire crackers , bit like spitting in a hot frying pan ...it was hot.

kept this up for 10 mins ,pressure dropped ,so also took off the rad cap , and trickled , very slowly , water in with the pump and fans on .

bit the bullet , and fired her up (but in the normal way ) , and she sounded ok , no bubbling into the header tank , so maybe , just maybe i got away with it .

i think , basically , i was driving with no water in the car , and a 11.6:1 compression ration , for about 5 miles .....

looking on the bright side , all the oil leak stains on the engines have disapeared ..it was so hot it burnt the oil right off and degreased themselves ..

anyway , one fun fact i noticed on the log for the drive ...

that timed section is me wheelspinning down standlake main rd in second gear , it goes from 2217 rpm , to 5220 rpm in 0.884 seconds ,,,,that's what you get with 7.6 litres of goodness , and only a 35 lb flywheel .

I'll allow it :)

regards
robert

·
Premium Member
14,196 Posts
yes i think i must rig up something , i have the pump off to help the battery crank it over , , maybe a relay in the pump feed , that switches off during cranking .
that'd work, of a timed relay that powers the pump a preset time after the ignition is switched on.
neil.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Or a big GOON light that's on when the pump is off and off when its on

A standard relay to operate the light using the switched power on to switch the relay off

Or one of your inventive solutions

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Glad that you got away with that Robert - Aluminium blocks can be quite forgiving though, on both my straight six Alfa and Rover V8 Comp Altereds I ran with just water in the block, but that was drag racing. The Alfa V6 engine did also survive a severe "Loss of Coolant" event!

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,512
THank you Phil , so far so good .

gosh i got a lot done ! ;)

first off , i decided to approach the pump problem in my customary left handed way .

I had a think and a measure , and decided something that may help my cranking speed, and therefore make it possible to have the pump on all the time , was to increase the battery lead amp carrying capability .

the cable at the moment is off the jag xj40 the 4.0 litre came from ... and its about 7mm diameter , and i think it may be ally too .blergh.

I hunted the Ali babas cave of wonderment , and found this cable ...

fairly hunky ,but just not long enough ...

had enough of this one ..

but bit thinner , so i thought hey , i have about 289 amps cranking , so if i double up on the 7mm cables that might help .

took the ends off the red cable ..

and snarfled them onto the blue lead of power..

noice !

threaded it into the chassis , and i do believe its a lot better on the maximost cranktabulousnosity ...ness .

Now on to a more long term bit of develoment..

work on the hood has started , i got ot the frame from graham (bully) and cleaned it up ,made a piece to fit the screen top , then wedges two bits of ally into place and taped it up to get an idea of the height of it all...

Have a dekko ...

maybe a bit lower , and then it fabrication time , oh , and hood making on the freegle sewing machine .

Then Today i popped the old girl outside on the drive , fired up ,and while warming up , i balanced the throttles with one of those gunson carb things , boy they were a fair way out , it got to 75 c ,and rad pressure looked good , so maybe it's all ok dokay .

bouyed up by this i had a fit of little jobs , no, not too much fruit in my diet , but things that i have wanted to do ..eg , a bit of a polish of the grill and copper pipes and the screen bits ..

one last thing was the little strip behind the seat did not line up with the body side panel , so i took it off and filed it to match betterererererer.

At some point i will make a new set of strips with an overhang so the tube can be continuous round the seat area .

tomorrow i am hoping to do a 80 miles round trip and see how the mpg is now ,with my new wide bands.

regards
robert

·
Registered
358 Posts
hoke a kokay ,

well struggling to get a bit of work done in the christmas melee,you may remember in the last episode we were investigating a way to support the shaft of steeringness.

i had a hunt in the crystal cave of wonderment (spares shed/greenhouse) and found a shaft with a pulley on it and a couple of plummer blocks . this came from a old huge compressor i scavenged ,and then changed motors and stuff on , and i was left with this jackshaft spare .

now the amazing thing is , the id of the bearings ,was the same as a ) the od of the minor column ,and b) the od of the section of the taxi shaft i wanted to use .

eg ...

Robert

Sorry to bother moi ...

Those bearings ? are they now trapped on the shaft by the U/J's/welding ? or are they free to slide off one end ?

regards Paul

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,516
Robert

Sorry to bother moi ...

Those bearings ? are they now trapped on the shaft by the U/J's/welding ? or are they free to slide off one end ?

regards Paul
No Bother Paul , always happy to have comments on here , especially questions , they can slide off the steering wheel end , or rather the shaft can slide downwards :)

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,517
verily much productivityness
:)

Love the profile of that hood - something Cruella DeVille about it.
zacto it has , i like it too , very brooding .

Good morning all , and welcome to the 400 new views a day i seem to be a gettin' of , vunderbar :) pop in and say hello ? ;)

My trip around the countryside went well ,did 74.9 miles around south oxon and still have one green led on the fuel gauge , so that means half a tank left , i think it might be getting better ,running much leaner now in the 16 to 17:1 air fuel ratio , that's about as lean as i want it .had it up to reasonable speed on the a34 past didcot too which was fun .

one slight problem , i was going to park it on stoke row green and take some pics , luckily it had a little rd around it , cos i went round , found a place to park , tried to get reverse ,and uh . no .not a chance .....no amount of tugging on my lever in the car would create a satisfactory outcome ....pox .

so off i went to reading , and through the woods it suddenly got jammed , and i had no .. gears.. at.. all.

so parked in the woods and had some lunch .

i might as well bore you all with yet more interminable pics of the monster in a new forest habitat ..

Emboldened by my healthy hand full of nuts and raisins , i got in and had another session wrenching around with the lever , and woof low and behold it all came free ,and joyfullness , and gear selection returned ,,,,apart from reverse .

of i went again , and all was well.

good news is i sat in the abingdon traffic right through the town centre ,for ages , and the temp came up to 95 , fans came on , temp dropped , and the rad pressure went from 7 psi to 3 psi ..so that looks like my boilfest has survived .

i have a new plastic gear selector bush coming , and i am also making one out of steel too , so no matter what , i can rely on a firm bush and a solid lever in the car .;)

This mt75 platic ford selector design , cannot handle the lever being stuck out in front ,rather than straight up and down , i may change it a bit so mine is more vertical .....

once i have reverse working i can get to the stn and see how much fuel i have used , guesses on a card please :)

regards

robert

·
Premium Member
14,196 Posts
those plastic 'pivot blocks' that hold the gearstick 'ball' were always breaking up on dad's transits mate (admittedly after 100's of 1000's of miles, lol). you're metal replacement idea sounds good, plenty of moly grease and it'll be just fine even with some misalignment of the stick (ie not straight up).
neil.

3501 - 3520 of 3547 Posts