Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
3521 - 3540 of 3568 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
My part of the world (formerly) south Oxon, its beech woods and Chiltern Hills. Stoke Row is famous for an amazing looking cast iron well donated by a Maharajah for some reason and a pub, the Crooked Billet that has no bar - drinks just served from the kitchen door. The Crooked Billet is a posh eatery now so not really a pub any more. BTW car looks great, good that the gear thing was trivial.

·
Registered
362 Posts
No Bother Paul , always happy to have comments on here , especially questions , they can slide off the steering wheel end , or rather the shaft can slide downwards :)
Seems I have a plethora of U/J's with splined sockets and a dearth of rod's with splines on ...

probably off to Car Builder solutions as mine are 19mm and not probably not a size found on most cars now days ?

·
Premium Member
15,045 Posts
rally design do the splined (each end) shafts and uj's too. bit cheaper than cbs too from memory. also they keep 1 metre lengths of tube that are the right size to sleeve the shaft if you need to lengthen it.
neil.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,526 ·
My part of the world (formerly) south Oxon, its beech woods and Chiltern Hills. Stoke Row is famous for an amazing looking cast iron well donated by a Maharajah for some reason and a pub, the Crooked Billet that has no bar - drinks just served from the kitchen door. The Crooked Billet is a posh eatery now so not really a pub any more. BTW car looks great, good that the gear thing was trivial.
Indeedy , the maharajah of benares , i lived in stoke row for 20 odd years , nice woods ,,,pushed my bsa bantam around them for miles lol. played pool in the crooked billet a lot too .

little bit done on the gearshift gizmo ..

here is the plastic bush that died ..

and i decided to make one out of metal .

found an old hunk of steel ,machined it , and thin disc-ed off the bit i needed ..

found an old exhaust flange for the plate ..

slotted plate , and started slotting the bush..

once slotted i will weld the plate to the bush ,and machine and fit and see how it shifts .

regards
robert

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,528 ·
Small world! You'd know the Black Horse at Checkenden and the Rising Sun at Witheridge Hill too I guess.
yes , when the bikers were kicked out of the highwayman we all went to the 4 horseshoes , and sometimes those ones as well .

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,530 ·
well , new gear shift bush made from steel instead of plastic , and fitted .

boy oh boy what a difference , side play reduced to zero , up and down play down to a few mm , i was not expecting such a total change , it feels like a short shift .

very happy with it .

regards
robert

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,533 ·
Well , tuesday was MOT day .

Luckily it was not pouring down with a CAPITAL P, and all was well , found a slight brake light infraction , which turned out ,after i had just about dissemboweled the dash , to be a beak in the wire under the heat shrink next to a soldered joint down by the switch , so i crimped it .this took a long time to find .

good news was the emissions were pretty good ...

and to celebrate another year of mot'ness , i popped on my new name plates ..

noicy noice noice ... i like em !

regards
robert

3521 - 3540 of 3568 Posts