Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Righto chaps and chapesses, I have a problem...

I have started to cap the cut bits on my doors and 1/4 panels, but have come to a bit of a halt with how to do a bit...

Door capped, and B pillar top done too:

Which I am quite chuffed with, but I need to join the bits up now, and it has a strange shape to make, how would you fill this bit in, in keeping with the rest of it:

Would you:

A) weld an 'upright' bit of sheet to the inner skin, and then gently roll it over to meet the other bit, or

B) try and make smaller panels and fill with steel/weld, or

C) another way???

Hope this makes sense...!!!

:beuj:

·
I'm a grown up drunk!
2,649 Posts
possibly get a 90deg exhaust bend, the same diameter as the top of the rolled bit behind the door,
thin split that right down the centre with a hacksaw so you've only got half the bend,
you should end up with something similar to the rolled bit you need for the corner,
then pie cut it and generally bash it about till you get the right shape,
does this make sense?

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That should have been my C) question... :shake:

Had thought of that, but was trying the 'no money, and use what I have lying around' route first...

Ta though...

:tup:

·
I'm a grown up drunk!
2,649 Posts
didn't say it had to be a new bend,
you could always do a late night rummage through your local kwik fit bin?:tup:

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
True, I have looked through our 'bin' at work, but it's all to thick on the wall...!!!

·
Compulsive chicken choker
6,372 Posts
Weld an upright strip to the outer skin, cut it downwards into "fingers" & bend these over to meet the inner skin & weld into place. This will need a *cough* "thin skim of filler" afterwards!

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Weld an upright strip to the outer skin, cut it downwards into "fingers" & bend these over to meet the inner skin & weld into place. This will need a *cough* "thin skim of filler" afterwards!
What is this strange 'filler' stuff you talk of???

None of that shit going on my car...!!!

·
Mid England Retrims.
350 Posts
easy one this is , if its a budget build your going for , then a bit of hammer forming is all thats required , get some 1/2" plywood and cut the shape you need , make two patterns , ie image and mirror image so you can sandwich the metal between the two sections then smack it like a bitch with a cross pein hammer to stretch the metal round the former to get the shape you need. ade

·
Shake it, Hobbes
170 Posts
easy one this is , if its a budget build your going for , then a bit of hammer forming is all thats required , get some 1/2" plywood and cut the shape you need , make two patterns , ie image and mirror image so you can sandwich the metal between the two sections then smack it like a bitch with a cross pein hammer to stretch the metal round the former to get the shape you need. ade
Second this method, I usually use mdf as it's easier to form with a 'kin great bastard file. If you form a curve on both sides of the mdf former, it will mirror each side better and you don't have to go to the trouble of making two identical formers.:tup:
Andy

·
Pass the lump hammer
550 Posts
Guy

Bend the thick wall pipe that you can get your hands on to the shape you need and use that as the former to beat thinner sheet metal around.

Easier for you to do than shaping wood or mdf,

Steve

1 - 10 of 10 Posts