Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Come on guys, I know how I would do this, but, is there a 'proper' way to go about it???

Trying to go from a square shaped trans tunnel to a round bit, see pics...

The 'round' in front of the shifter needs to be the same size as the 'round' behind the shifter, but that's not the problem, it's the transitional bit that I can't quite get my head round... :beuj:

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
where you have the 90 deg bend, with a fresh piece of flat sheet measure and mark a centerline, next mark the width of the flat area and mark either side of the CL, measure the total length of the radius you need,, now mark out at the other end of the sheet again bisecting the centerline, along the radius end, measure into a even amount of spaces say 10 each side of the CL,draw a line from each mark to where you want the 90 degs so the 10 lines converge at the the 90 mark, and 10 converge at the other mark, now bend along each one of those lines, about 9-10 degs, it wont give you a perfect circle but will give you a flat to round sheet.
Ive probably just written a load of old bolox, but it should work, dio it in cardboard to check,

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers Steve, the only problem with the hammering is that it needs to be on the car... :shake:

It will be removable eventually, but for the moment it's tacked in place...

Might have a go at making a jig up, so I can replicate where it's going to go...

Must admit I am not that good at the hammer forming side of metalwork, I am more of a 'cut it' and weld it kinda guy...

Ta

Guy

·
Shake it, Hobbes
170 Posts
where you have the 90 deg bend, with a fresh piece of flat sheet measure and mark a centerline, next mark the width of the flat area and mark either side of the CL, measure the total length of the radius you need,, now mark out at the other end of the sheet again bisecting the centerline, along the radius end, measure into a even amount of spaces say 10 each side of the CL,draw a line from each mark to where you want the 90 degs so the 10 lines converge at the the 90 mark, and 10 converge at the other mark, now bend along each one of those lines, about 9-10 degs, it wont give you a perfect circle but will give you a flat to round sheet.
Ive probably just written a load of old bolox, but it should work, dio it in cardboard to check,
That's exactly right. Same way i was taught for my s/metal apprenticeship. Works to give a rough shape and if you make enough small bends, it will be smoother. Then i normally "rub" it around a cylinder to curve out the straight lines.:tup:

·
Shake it, Hobbes
170 Posts
Guy, if you give me the measurements ie length of trans tunnel/ square profile (heiight/width)/ circle diameter and distance from top of square section to floor/top of round section to floor and any other bits you think necessary, i'll knock one up for you if required??
!8swg (1.2mm thick) will be thick enough, i think?
Let me know??
Regards, Andy:incheek:

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's exactly right. Same way i was taught for my s/metal apprenticeship. Works to give a rough shape and if you make enough small bends, it will be smoother. Then i normally "rub" it around a cylinder to curve out the straight lines.:tup:
Right, before I make another 'square' section to hammer the life out of, can someone possibly do me a diagram to explain it, I kinda get it, but I was 19 when I went to s/metal college (I'm 40 now...!!!)...

Can't really do the hammer route with what I have in the pics, as I have cut along the top edge, so I would have to weld it up before hammering, and that ain't gonna work...!!!

Andy, thanks for the offer, but I really need to make this myself, if you know what I mean... :tup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts