Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Who promised you tomorrow
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a couple of newer cars that have a gorgeous bright gold/green colour to them, quite a heavy metallic and a really bright colour. Only problem is I can't think for the life of me what cars they were, they all look the same nowadays. I think maybe one was a newish Honda.

I'm hoping to track down the colour and have some made up in a rattle can as my current compressor isn't up to the job.

Any painters out there that may know of the sort of colour I'm trying to describe?

Cheers Dan:smoke:

·
Premium Member
4,452 Posts
If it gives off different shades or colours and is an original manufacturers colour, it will be a mica or a pearl, both of these don't work in a can, they need to be a clear over base process. I think you would be disappointed with the end result from a can. Its also quite expensive in raw form, can be up to £120 a litre.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,347 Posts
Cheers Darren, that'll help matters. I've got some Roth flake in almost the same colour that I want to use and the paint will give a great base for it.
Strangely that rarely works ,putting the same colour flake over the same colour base can create some weird colours. I did lilal flakeover lilac base and the base looked grey . If you put red flake over redbase it ends up looking brown, do a test piece;)

·
Who promised you tomorrow
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers all. Sorry i didn't word my original post very well. I'm not looking for a paint that flips, I've seen a green and also a gold metallic I like and would like to find and use. The article I'm following used a black base with lime green metallic under mid sized gold flake. It looked awesome so I thought I'd give it a bash but also do a green flake on a gold base just for shits and giggles. Like you Kev I've done a few duff jobs where it looked plain horrible. Usually it's when I've used darker flake on a lighter base colour. I'll see if I can track down a nice lime green and a gold metallic, have a play with the green and gold flakes I have and see what happens, it's all about experimenting. I'll probably paint the damn thing white in the end though as I can't make my mind up and I really need to get moving on the paint. Wouldn't mind but it's pretty much just the top of a tank and a small seat unit:shake:

·
stitchmeister
twin turbo LS 59 chevy apache
4,778 Posts
my pissrat is furura yellow which is piss yellow that goes vomit green in the sun :incheek: bmw had a similar one on there M3 s

·
The Camino Kid
1,173 Posts
I know one of Steve Langs cars, his roadster I think, was a very vibrant green with a heavy flake. As a side note I'm having mine flaked with candy's over the top. I'm using Magnum silver base which is a course metalic then going over that with the flake, then a couple of coats of laquer then the candys over that. Red for the roof and pillars and gold over the east of the body. Rog

1 - 12 of 12 Posts