Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having now put my Willys pickup and '30 woody builds aside as finished I was feeling confident enough to take on Challenger 1 as my next build. By all accounts it's a model that lives up to its name !

First job was to strip the plating from all the engine parts and the wheels as on the real thing there is none, then airbrush in the more appropriate aluminium and gunmetal shades, and give the wheels a coat of pale yellow.

There are 4 Pontiac mills to squeeze into the centre section of frame along with transmissions, steering, tanks and pipework.

I have started with a positive attitude, lets see how long it lasts...

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
keep at it. i have the Hot Rod issue of that kit that also has Ivo's showboat in it. Dad got me it years ago, but i knew it was way outta my league! Now I'm going through projects and getting them finished when im not painting warhammer, its now in the to-do pile.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Dave really enjoyed that, it was the article in the latest copy of Hot Rod about Challenger 2 that inspired me to start this build. I also have the Attempt 1 kit to build and would like to try my hand at building a copy of Thompson's Mustang that I saw at Bonneville.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah,its thought to be the 1st '69 built and was used by Thompson at Bonneville in July & September of '68 to break nearly 300 records along with 2 other Mustangs. One in yellow that was a 302 and has vanished believed wrecked, a red one that was later destroyed in NASCAR, and the blue one which had a tunnel port 427. All the engines were Holman- Moody built.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts