Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Lost in the ozone. . ....
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think this was someone trying to hack my computer with my help.

Last Saturday morning the phone rang, I did´nt get to it soon enough to answer.
When the misses came in she called the telephone company because it was an odd number,
0019, just that, the prefix for Cuba.
Later it called again, it was a call from "Microsoft" and he could only speak English but with a heavy accent which I concluded was Indian or Pakistani.
He told me my computer was, and had been for a long time, sending them a signal
indicating my computer was infected with a bad virus and was transmitting it.
The virus, he told me, would get by my antivirus protection.
He wanted me to go online and start a search in my computer for the virus, under his instructions.
I asked who he was and where was he calling from, it was a very bad line and
his accent was dreadful.
He told me he was calling from Scotland, to which I replied no, he could´nt be as
lines from the UK were never like this one.
I put the phone down and he called back most indignant I had hung up, so I hung up again.
I have an incident number with the telephone company and it won´t be until next week that they can see the number in full that called.

Today Sunday, telephone tech services said they´d never heard of such an occurrence and I should inform the police when the number calling is known.

Spoke to Microsoft Spain this afternoon, any contact with them has to be initiated by the customer first.
They gave me an incident number and will be updated when I know more.
They told me they just don´t ring out of the blue.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
I think this was someone trying to hack my computer with my help.

Last Saturday morning the phone rang, I did´nt get to it soon enough to answer.
When the misses came in she called the telephone company because it was an odd number,
0019, just that, the prefix for Cuba.
Later it called again, it was a call from "Microsoft" and he could only speak English but with a heavy accent which I concluded was Indian or Pakistani.
He told me my computer was, and had been for a long time, sending them a signal
indicating my computer was infected with a bad virus and was transmitting it.
The virus, he told me, would get by my antivirus protection.
He wanted me to go online and start a search in my computer for the virus, under his instructions.
I asked who he was and where was he calling from, it was a very bad line and
his accent was dreadful.
He told me he was calling from Scotland, to which I replied no, he could´nt be as
lines from the UK were never like this one.
I put the phone down and he called back most indignant I had hung up, so I hung up again.
I have an incident number with the telephone company and it won´t be until next week that they can see the number in full that called.

Today Sunday, telephone tech services said they´d never heard of such an occurrence and I should inform the police when the number calling is known.

Spoke to Microsoft Spain this afternoon, any contact with them has to be initiated by the customer first.
They gave me an incident number and will be updated when I know more.
They told me they just don´t ring out of the blue.
They phone me on most days, I'm running out of insults now!

·
Lost in the ozone. . ....
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I can list this with Nigerian begging e mails....:lol:

·
Gym Junkie
6,213 Posts
I had this once, it was days after I had raised a support call with Talktalk, trying to scam me with detail obtained from that call. I complained to Talktalk who did fuck all.
I ended up with Talk Talk after they bought Tiscali and their call centres have got to be the most useless useless bunch of gits ever, they even took a whole years worth of payments out of my account when I cancelled even though I was well over the contract period required, it took over 6 months to get my money back and only then after initiating legal proceedings.

Needless to say I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole again :shake:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Last time I had one of these calls I managed to keep the person talking to me for 1hr 8mins which is a record with my mates as we have a competition as to who can keep them on line the longest LOL. Just pretend that you are looking at your computer and make up what you are looking at on screen and that it's telling you to restart your computer. They get quite irate, the last fella told me to F**k off ha ha! Funny enough I don't get them anymore.

·
Registered
662 Posts
scam! they ring up, to say there's a microsoft problem, talk you thru your comp system, getting you to your computers error log, all legitimate, and every comp has one, and full of microsoft error messages. they then offer software to correct the 'issues'

brothers a techie, and kept one poor sod on the phone for over an hour, as we had a 'virus' ... what type? he asked, a trojan was the reply. that's like asking what car have you got and replying a blue one! he even got them to admit they weren't actually microsoft, so had a whole data protection discussion about microsoft releasing details to a third party and so on!

you just have to remember... where did your computer get your phone number to send to them?.... easy answer is it doesn't!

if you want them to go away quickly, tell them you have a mac

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.