Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only have aproblem with it cos I'm a plonker!!:wanker: I took it part looking for a blockage.....should have asked on here before I did that.....anyway, I dropped the washers and now don't know in what order they go back!! :shake::shake:One of them is an insulating washer so I guess it makes a big difference where I put it!!!!:beuj:
If it helps, it is a sealey minimig....circa about 1921 I think :D.
Ta

Attachments

·
gas hog
261 Posts
I only have aproblem with it cos I'm a plonker!!:wanker: I took it part looking for a blockage.....should have asked on here before I did that.....anyway, I dropped the washers and now don't know in what order they go back!! :shake::shake:One of them is an insulating washer so I guess it makes a big difference where I put it!!!!:beuj:
If it helps, it is a sealey minimig....circa about 1921 I think :D.
Ta
those wahers look in the right order to me, are you talking a blockage for the gas or wire ?

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
those wahers look in the right order to me, are you talking a blockage for the gas or wire ?
For the wire. I was getting a feed from the spool into the wiretube, but after about 12 to 15 inches, it bunched up, showing a blockage somewhere in the tube ( I cleared it and tried a couple of times). I took the gun apart to see if the blockage was at that end and couldn't see anything wrong. I dropped the washers, put it back togther and then no longer had power to the spool on the trigger.
General opinion is that there is probably a hole in the tube which the wire is feeding into. Thjat would make sense as it a very old mig and I'm not sure it has ever had the tube replaced.

·
gas hog
261 Posts
For the wire. I was getting a feed from the spool into the wiretube, but after about 12 to 15 inches, it bunched up, showing a blockage somewhere in the tube ( I cleared it and tried a couple of times). I took the gun apart to see if the blockage was at that end and couldn't see anything wrong. I dropped the washers, put it back togther and then no longer had power to the spool on the trigger.
General opinion is that there is probably a hole in the tube which the wire is feeding into. Thjat would make sense as it a very old mig and I'm not sure it has ever had the tube replaced.
ive had that many times, sounds like time for a new torch, if the wire has burred through the liner and touching the inner cord it may well be stopping power to the switch, you should be able to operate the switch without any washers or nozzle on it, even if you only get a clicking at the solenoid for the spool you know power is passing through it

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ive had that many times, sounds like time for a new torch, if the wire has burred through the liner and touching the inner cord it may well be stopping power to the switch, you should be able to operate the switch without any washers or nozzle on it, even if you only get a clicking at the solenoid for the spool you know power is passing through it
Thanx....to be honest, it's probably time for a new Mig welder!!!!!!

·
Grown up? Never!
2,171 Posts
Who said that?:incheek:
Had a look today and sure enough they're nothing like your's:shake:
I even took apart a really big welder to see if they had the same sort of set up, but no sorry:tdown:

Chaley

PS PM on its way!

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Who said that?:incheek:
Had a look today and sure enough they're nothing like your's:shake:
I even took apart a really big welder to see if they had the same sort of set up, but no sorry:tdown:

Chaley

PS PM on its way!
Ta Chaley......I appreciate it!!!
I'm off to USA this weekend, so catch up when I'm back!

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
SORTED!!!! thanks to all who gave advise. New liner, put torch back together properly and we're rockin n rollin!
Couldn't see anything wrong with old liner, but it went in the bin!!!!

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It dosen't take a lot to mess up the inside of the liner, change mine every 3 months as a matter of course.
Nige
Yeah...I've been told by a couple of people that they change the liner every time they put a new reel of wire on it. Might be a failsafe way to go...or even after every 2 reels!
Thanks again.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.