Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
Sounds like a who knows more then you match. As for my welders bigger then yours match. One of my welders in my bay is bigger then your washing machine and will lay a 6 fillet 18mm multi run on a 50mm thick base plate.
i know nothing about electric
my tig that i use is a 355 amp the old tig is 400 amp and weighs around 750kg and is the the size of 2 washing machines! lol my mig is 3 phase 400 amp and i only use these for cars and rod chassis!

·
Administrator
14,116 Posts
so you have a 400v single phase welder then
you have a plug with 3 wires connected prob black and grey and green/yellow
Phase means supply or input not return or neutral although you can see two phase cable comming in but in reality only on is for supply the other is neutral

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
it will work on single phase but would need a 125 amp supply! the manual says single or 2 phase! and thats a 355amp tig

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
Phase means supply or input not return or neutral although you can see two phase cable comming in but in reality only on is for supply the other is neutral
not a sparky so dont know but the cables in the plug are the thickness of my little finger!

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
God I love this site. Now my love of cars and welding sets are combined.
always managed to find good used 3 phase equipment at a fraction of the price of single phase thats why ive got a 3 phase ramp and 2 3 phase jigs

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
I got an Esab mig wired like this, it uses a five pin plug, the machine takes two lives,a neutral,and an earth . the other live is not used.

Bob

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
always managed to find good used 3 phase equipment at a fraction of the price of single phase thats why ive got a 3 phase ramp and 2 3 phase jigs
I'd like 3 phase. In my house. I got a 220 kennedy at home. 450aml butters at work and a new kemmpi km400 inverter welder. It's a cracking machine and the size of 2 microwave machines.

Anyway get that welder cleansed Ian and finish the car

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
A) while you lot were pissing about I got on with stuff that didnt need welding.

B) how come this gets more interest than my build ? ( i know its a craic thing )

·
Grown up? Never!
2,171 Posts
Love this!
Anyway, the 151te needs a 16amp plug, they draw 15amps on "3 max" when they are new you can sort of get away with a 13amp, but…, pop a 16amp buzz bar in your consumer unit and fit a 16amp socket . Easy. The welder will be so much better for it. Think of the fuse as fuel line, a V8 will run on a 2mm pipe, but it won't like it ;)
Even on the lower setting on 13amp the plug gets mighty hot.

Chaley

·
Grown up? Never!
2,171 Posts
A) while you lot were pissing about I got on with stuff that didnt need welding.

B) how come this gets more interest than my build ? ( i know its a craic thing )
Ian,
A, well done :)
B, we can't take the piss out of your build, because it's aces!

Chaley

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Love this!
Anyway, the 151te needs a 16amp plug, they draw 15amps on "3 max" when they are new you can sort of get away with a 13amp, but…, pop a 16amp buzz bar in your consumer unit and fit a 16amp socket . Easy. The welder will be so much better for it. Think of the fuse as fuel line, a V8 will run on a 2mm pipe, but it won't like it ;)
Even on the lower setting on 13amp the plug gets mighty hot.

Chaley
Ill give it a go. somehow.
cheers.

funny thing is it worked fine for a while, then two fuse in less than an hour.

·
Registered
398 Posts
used to get more problems with the trip tripping when I was using it lots and it was getting hot (only a little old clark 100a) but fitted a fan into it from a printer hood and hasn't done it since, just wondered if it had blown the fuse after quite a long usage? and then blown another fuse straight after whilst still warm?

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
used to get more problems with the trip tripping when I was using it lots and it was getting hot (only a little old clark 100a) but fitted a fan into it from a printer hood and hasn't done it since, just wondered if it had blown the fuse after quite a long usage? and then blown another fuse straight after whilst still warm?
Only a dozen tack welds.
It already has a fan so I think I will try the clean and check idea, and get a pack of name brand fuses in case the ones I've got are the problem.

·
Administrator
14,116 Posts
ok so what i suggest assuming your mig requires a 16a supply
buy 1 of these
https://www.shop-we.co.uk/product_info.php/products_id/77
and a 16a mcb also a 16a socket and a switch
using 2.5mm cable
turn off the power to the sockets then run a cable from the back of the socket to this unut with a mcb then out of the unit to a 20a double pole switch then to the socket
this will give you a protected supply
or run a dedicated power supply from the fuse board
hope this helps

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I'd of thought it would run ok. My 220 kennedy will run full chat on a 13amp 3 pin plug!

21 - 40 of 44 Posts