Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a sealey supermig 180 welder and today I was using it and I tried to start welding but there is no arc . I still have wire feed and gas coming through but no arc.
I did smell burning in the torch and seen a little smoke come out of it, but would that little box thing inside the torch stop it from making the arc. Earths are fine.
Also it's the older model without these new Euro connectors

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry yours has taken a dive - Unashamed plug for Steve at Weldequip (via Welding - The DIY Guide - he sponsors the site). He's really helpful & provides 'proper service', isn't over-priced & is fast on delivery. Give him a bell on 0845 604 4204. Should be straightforward to convert to euro-torch. Good luck with it.
I ll have another play with it and give him a ring if I have no luck
Cheers

·
Rekindled Dream
2,064 Posts
Did you fix it?

If not have a look at the connections inside (disconnect the mains power first) and beware the capacitors can still hold charge even though the power is disconnected.

The switch in the torch operates the contactor (which is basically a big multi pole solenoid) work which in turn connects the power to the wire feed and actuates the gas valve hence wire feed and gas. I'd be looking for loose connections to the Diodes/ Rectifiers, Capacitors or the connection to the Contactor that feeds the arc power to the wire. If any or all are not connecting you won't get an Arc.

Good luck ... Jon

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you fix it?

If not have a look at the connections inside (disconnect the mains power first) and beware the capacitors can still hold charge even though the power is disconnected.

The switch in the torch operates the contactor (which is basically a big multi pole solenoid) work which in turn connects the power to the wire feed and actuates the gas valve hence wire feed and gas. I'd be looking for loose connections to the Diodes/ Rectifiers, Capacitors or the connection to the Contactor that feeds the arc power to the wire. If any or all are not connecting you won't get an Arc.

Good luck ... Jon
Havent found the problem yet, but thinking its the switch in the torch as i did see smoke coming out the handle and smelt burning as well.
Priced a new torch as switch no longer avaliable on its own was £90.00, so prob look into converting to a euro torch as they are cheaper anyway,
Hickleys say you cant convert into a euro torch but i m sure it can be done

If anyones done this conversion info would be a great help

cheers

·
Rekindled Dream
2,064 Posts
More reading. This time on a mig welding forum. It seems the Sealey 180 case is already drilled to take a euro connector. If yours is then Weldequip should be able to supply what you need.

Also what type of earth clamp have you got? A a good, heavy duty one, will improve the mig's performance no end.

Jon.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
More reading. This time on a mig welding forum. It seems the Sealey 180 case is already drilled to take a euro connector. If yours is then Weldequip should be able to supply what you need.

Also what type of earth clamp have you got? A a good, heavy duty one, will improve the mig's performance no end.

That welder in that thread in that forum is exactly the same as mine and when i was looking at mine i did wonder if the plastic insert in the case would be something to do with upgrading to a euro torch.
and yes i could prob do with upgrading the earth clamp at the same time anyway ( to be fair i bought it new over 10yrs ago and apart from replaing the wire liner its never let me down)

Can i fit any euro torch or does it have to be a sealey one (thinking of the wiring in the machine)

Cheers

1 - 11 of 11 Posts