Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
Loxley Lozenge
33 Posts
I haven't looked, but I think Burton might do them. I seem to remember getting Ford badges off them years ago. May be worth a look.

·
Premium Member
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 · (Edited)
Thanks people.
Couldn't get reply from Tickover, but glad to have their details.
Burton charged me £15 for 8 clips, after ordering them I saw the ebay link. Hey ho.
At least they are on their way now.

Also very grateful to Mark (Blackpop racing) for sending me the plug, which arrived yesterday.

Hand tool Saw Metalworking hand tool Automotive tire Wood

I soon had the Mk1 plug wires soldered to the Mk2 plug all ready to plug into the original plug on my Capri.
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Odometer Steering part

Steering part Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Steering wheel

Trickyto photograph with the shadows and the steering wheel, but it's all on and everything works!

I then resolved various issues with with bulbs and wiring so now all bulbs work as they should.
The sealed beam headlights had been previously swapped for ones which take bulbs, a good idea, but no provision for sidelights, so I managed to adapt and now have sidelights in the headlights where they should be.
I've ordered a rear number plate light which looks similar to the missing original part, will be ready for Mot when that goes on.

·
Premium Member
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Now although she fires straight up and ticks over, she doesn't want to to accelerate. I've checked and adjusted timing anyway, but it really seemed like no accelerator pump working, I took this apart, it doesn't look too bad, or should the diaphragm be really soft and pliable?
Trying to order a new one anyway.

Meanwhile I've done some other stuff
Motor vehicle Trunk Automotive exterior Cable Auto part

I've refitted this panel which hides the electric fan.
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Automotive lighting

I wanted to refit this trim, but no clips and the bumper was too tight to the body for it to fit in.
So I spaced the bumper away, removed the one remaining over rider, and fitted my new number plate light. Then I made some clips
Automotive tire Wood Automotive exterior Rim Bumper

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

All looks OK now. Apart from the need to refit the lock. And it's a shame that the bit of trim which should go along the bottom edge of the bootlid is missing, I might try to replicate this using other random bits of trim.

Reactions: budetta

·
Premium Member
14,803 Posts
you may find the rear 1/4 trim from an mgb or suchlike is long enough to cut to suit, easy to get too.
neil.

·
Premium Member
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Thanks Mark and Neil.

Today i stripped the carb and cleaned it out, all seems good, I need to replace the diaphragm for the accelerator pump. I found one place called "The Carburretor Hospital" based in Rochford, they have the part I need but they are away until 14th Feb.
I'll keep looking, its a pain if I have to wait till then.

I had some spare trim, made some clips similar to the ones I made recently. I cut and trimmed a short piece of the same trim to act as a joiner section in the middle.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Machine

·
Premium Member
14,803 Posts
ok so haven't tried this but i just thought of how you could check if the diaphram is leaking or there's a blockage in the carb body..... cut a bit of balloon and sandwich it beween the carb body and diaphram and then test it. if it squirts fuel the diaphram's split, if not there's a blockage in one of the 'drillings' in the body. the balloon may dissolve but should last long enough to check for any blockages.
i'm full of 'good' ideas me........
neil.

·
Premium Member
14,803 Posts
either will work just to check one way or the other. only needs to seal long enough to test it.

·
Premium Member
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Thanks MyGasser and Budetta.
The new diaphragm arrived in the post today, from the Anglia 105 people, fortunately it fitted OK.
So I had some fun getting the Capri out of the garage.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

At this point I had stuff everywhere and could hardly move.
Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Hood Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle

But I was able to swing the back of the Capri round on the skates and drive it out of the garage. But she still wasn't picking up as she should. I limped around the block, and then checked the points, which were fine. But when I went to restart the engine the key refused to work, no key wiggling or tapping with a hammer would budge it. It was getting dark so I took off the shroud around the column and hot wired it.

Now I'm wondering how to fix this. I can't find a replacement part, any suggestions as to what other ignition switch I could adapt?

At this point I leapt into the Austin Ruby and went for a very short joy ride, made me realise how much I'd missed it.
Then, while I was tidying the garage, I found a spring on the floor, this should have gone back in the carb with the new diaphragm. Oops. Oh well at least I think I've solved the problem, will find out tomorrow.

Some other recent jobs:

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Light

The wheels were just silver, so I painted the satin black inserts.

Automotive parking light Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Car
Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle

Vehicle registration plate Motor vehicle Car Automotive lighting Vehicle

I made the missing boot lid trim from parts that came with the car. I made a joiner piece by simply cutting down a scrap piece.
Also found the speedo cable languishing in the engine bay, managed to refit it with a random circlip from my box, speedo worked OK when I went round the block.

Reactions: mygasser

·
Registered
858 Posts
Have you checked to see if dizzy is advancing ? Best thing with steering lock is remove it so you can look at it on bench, remove switch part to see if its jambed or if its the key/barrel

41 - 52 of 52 Posts